Having the issue, "Unable to connect to service"

Adding the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService 'object' to F-Secure's antivirus scanning exclusions did not work for me. My issue is the same as bLOCKbOYgAMES's.

Having done this addition I closed win7, then started it again. On trying to open the Malwarebytes GUI the old error message was thrown again. See below. At Task Manager's Services Malwarebyte's Service had status "started" as before.

I also rechecked the F-Secure Antivirus scanning exclusion. Next I tried closing win7 with Service stopped from Task Manager but with no change (also Service's status returned to "started").

Here is the report I had prepared earlier, following the guidelines for Malwarebytes 3.0:

1., 5. Having updated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium to V.3.0.5, next day win7 displays a window showing

Unable to start / Unable to connect Service.

The day after the same window was found on the taskbar.

2. Malwarebytes GUI does not open.

4. Under Task Manager Services I found Service showing "started" on the Malwarebytes line, tried "restart"
with unchanged result, then "stop" which succeeded, again "start" with the result that Service
again had Status "started", but with unchanged error message. MS repair was run to no avail.

6., 7.Below four log-files are attached.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

MB-CheckResult.txt

logs.zip

Hello @TimoMkelinen and :welcome:

Thank you for the valuable data files you have posted.  Unfortunately, your reported issue relates to the use of the F-Secure's DeepGuard and an acceptable workaround is to set F-Secure to operate in "Compatibility Mode".

After making that change, please reply to this topic with your system's status.  Thank you.

MB 3.0.6 now working.

I first checked that the scanning exclusion list included C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService (with an automatically appended "/"). Next I happened to add the same object to quarantine's scanning exclusion list. This change in itself did not affect the Service issue. Nevertheless I left it as is. (I suppose it can be removed later.)

Going to DeepGuard and checking '[ ] Use the compatibility mode (lowers security)' did it! Many thanks for your efficient help.

3 hours ago, TimoMkelinen said:

Going to DeepGuard and checking '[ ] Use the compatibility mode (lowers security)' did it! Many thanks for your efficient help.

I do not recommend doing that as it emasculates DeepGuard across your entire PC. If you properly set up the scanning exclusion in F-Secure, you may run DeepGuard in full without conflict w/MBAM.

3 hours ago, Telos said:

I do not recommend doing that as it emasculates DeepGuard across your entire PC. If you properly set up the scanning exclusion in F-Secure, you may run DeepGuard in full without conflict w/MBAM.

Having just C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\ on the scan exclusion list of F-Secure did not work while DeepGuard was not restricted to compatibility mode.

F-Secure lists programs it is monitoring. MB is not among them.

Apart from folders and files I see a chance of changing application permissions and making a scan exclusion list by file extensions. One present under MBAMService is *.json (in subfolders config and logs latter of which also has *.log and *.xpe).

1 hour ago, TimoMkelinen said:

Having just C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\ on the scan exclusion list of F-Secure did not work while DeepGuard was not restricted to compatibility mode.

F-Secure lists programs it is monitoring. MB is not among them.

Apart from folders and files I see a chance of changing application permissions and making a scan exclusion list by file extensions. One present under MBAMService is *.json (in subfolders config and logs latter of which also has *.log and *.xpe).

@TimoMkelinen You need to add the \Program Files (x86)\Malawarbytes folder to the scanning exclusions.

f-secure-internet-security-2015-settings

The folder you added has no impact, but it is OK to exclude. 

The DeepGuard list is entirely different. MBAM will not appear there and you cannot add it to the DeepGuard list.

12 hours ago, Telos said:

I had looked at ProgramData both by running %ProgramData% and while setting scanning exclusions for F-Secure but I think the extensions quoted above were seen in the latter manner. In order to try and see if F-Secure's vision could be widened by going to scanning exclusionss' tab 'Files' and checking '[ ] Exclude files with these extensions' and clicking OK, without having entered anything in the list area. This turned out to be the case when turning to the objects tab and starting to add the entry 'C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService'. But it did not do to keep that entry as it was set earlier. It was necessary to start by emptying the objects tab list. But now I have both an unfettered F-Secure DeepGuard and a working MB GUI.

Thanks to Telos for keeping up faith in my can-do.

19 hours ago, Telos said:

@TimoMkelinen You need to add the \Program Files (x86)\Malawarbytes folder to the scanning exclusions.

f-secure-internet-security-2015-settings

The folder you added has no impact, but it is OK to exclude. 

The DeepGuard list is entirely different. MBAM will not appear there and you cannot add it to the DeepGuard list.

In the first place MB does not reside in C:\Program Files (x86)\ !! A case for uninstalling?

In any case GUI does not work (starting/service issue) while scanning is excluded for MBMAService, C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\, and extensions. Perplexingly I found 'Use the compatibility mode ...' checked.

So it so far probably never worked without compatibility mode.

13 hours ago, TimoMkelinen said:
On 3/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Telos said:

I had looked at ProgramData both by running %ProgramData% and while setting scanning exclusions for F-Secure but I think the extensions quoted above were seen in the latter manner. In order to try and see if F-Secure's vision could be widened by going to scanning exclusionss' tab 'Files' and checking '[ ] Exclude files with these extensions' and clicking OK, without having entered anything in the list area. This turned out to be the case when turning to the objects tab and starting to add the entry 'C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService'. But it did not do to keep that entry as it was set earlier. It was necessary to start by emptying the objects tab list. But now I have both an unfettered F-Secure DeepGuard and a working MB GUI.

Thanks to Telos for keeping up faith in my can-do.

That quote is misattributed. I never said that.

Telos: @TimoMkelinen You need to add the \Program Files (x86)\Malawarbytes folder to the scanning exclusions.

To put it short, I reinstalled Malwarebytes version 3.0.6.1469. (Uninstall required a functional program. There I needed to use DeepGuard compatibility mode.) As suggested I wrote C:\Program Files(x86)\Malwarebytes for installation folder (Windows by its memory suggested otherwise, overrunning Malwarebytes's default).

I excluded from scan the above folder and C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService. How this happened was by following the F-Secure SAFE script 'Exclude files by location' and selecting real-time scanning. Remains to be seen if that will not work for manual scanning, too. There is nothing intuitive about how the script takes the route it does for one like me who has been lulled to thinking in terms of insertions into independent windows, except perhaps that a window must be closed with an OK.

Everything looking fine and functional I went back to check the actual DeepGuard settings in F-Secure which earlier used to show compatibility mode in use: not now! Thanks for all help.