Malwarebytes 2.x prompting for upgrade

I've had the same problems as reported it this thread so rolled back to v2.2.1 until it's finally fixed.

I have noticed tonight though that I'm now getting a nag screen asking me to update (I assume that's to v3) which is not something I want to do until this issue is remediated. Can this auto update reminder be switched off please (I have switched off "check for program updates" in settings but it keeps happening.

As there are still problems for a number of us it seems rather premature to keep nagging us to upgrade to something that isn't working correctly yet

Image2.jpg

@davidf I split your post since you are currently trying to troubleshoot a different issue than the one you posted in.

To fix your issue, you will want to go into settings and turn off checking for updates. Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\ and delete the mbam-setup file in this folder. This should stop the prompts from appearing

Thanks for the reply but it won't let me delete it even though I'm logged in as an administrator. I'd imagine it's because there's either an event or something in the registry that keeps trying to trigger it.

EDIT: I also tried quitting from MBAM in case it was that

Image3.jpg

Edited by davidf

I'm in UK and it's getting late here, so I'll look at this further tomorrow night. If the worst comes to the worst I'll restore last weekend's system image (I take one each week) and pull the network cable so it can't connect and download it again before I've turned the check option off again

Excuse me for interrupting this thread. I am having the same issue as "davidf" and have an additional question.

Regarding the last post, "The other option would be to make sure that Self-Protection is turned off under settings. Then make sure you entirely quit Malwarebytes from the system tray." Will this allow MBAM to be used as an on-demand scanner? Will updated definitions be available and get installed?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP-1
MBAM v. 2.2.1.1043

1 minute ago, dcollins said:

@Bazinga, no, those settings simply stop Malwarebytes 2.x from trying to update to 3.x.

Will it keep v.2.x working as designed?

For the record, I haven't been able to delete/rename the mbam-setup file. Also, after unchecking the two Self-Protection options and starting MBAM again, both were enabled automagically.

Very strange that doesn't work either. I did check in Services and found that the MBAM service was still running even after quitting from the system tray. I stopped the service but still couldn't delete the file.

Anyway, no worries I'll use the system image.

Thanks for your help though

Edited by davidf

Just now, dcollins said:

@Bazinga yes, MBAM2.x will keep working for the time being. If you're still having issues deleting the mbam-setup.exe file, what error are you getting?

I get the same error as shown in the screen shots above.

I attempted to rename the file with the extension ".old" -- same error about needing Administrator privileges. My account has Administrator privileges.

@Bazinga it sounds like Malwarebytes isn't completely shutdown. If it's not shutdown, you won't be able to delete the file.

The MBAM icon does not appear in the System Tray after exiting. Neither the Service nor the Process appear in Task Manager. I do have Anti-Exploit running, but that's a different program and shouldn't affect MBAM, right?

To be honest, I'd have to test that and see. It can't hurt to shut it down temporarily just to delete the file

I did shut it down. It's not running, as far as I can see.

Earlier, I turned off the option to start with Windows, checked to make sure it wasn't appearing in Task Manager, and tried to rename the file. Got the error.

15 minutes ago, davidf said:

Right, I've found how to do it.

Remove self protection and reboot

I don't think stopping the services did anything as they were running when I rebooted, so the above two steps seems to do the trick

Thank you! 

Just to be safe, I disabled "everything under the sun" before rebooting. I renamed the setup file successfully, started MBAM and manually ran a check for updates. I did not get a prompt to upgrade to the new version! I then re-enabled Malware, Web site and Self-Protection.

Thank you both!

*Fingers crossed this continues to work.*

Edited by Bazinga