"New" V3.x Screwed Up Everything!

I get this "notice" that Malwarebytes wants to download a "new, improved, and with a great new scent..." version that now included AntiExploit rolled into it... so I say, "Sure, what could go wrong..." as so far MalwareBytes has been reliable and hasn't caused me any problems. So I allow it to Install/Delete Malwarebytes and Anti-Exploit in the deal... and it reboots... and then it takes, "like forever" to boot with large amounts of "hang time" (note, not surfboard hanging... like the system seems to do nothing and the mouse won't respond, etc.) so I figure, well it just installed, so I'll reboot and everything will work out fine. :)  I hoped...

Sorry, :( no such luck.... same drawn out, successive periods where nothing happens, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, etc.

Now I realize I'm a kind of an unwelcome dinosaur, i.e. still use XP Pro... but there was no warning not to use it on XP... and the install program didn't prevent it from installing on XP, so I figured,"Great... New, with a great new fragrance and also easier on my hands!" 

No such luck. Fortunately, I have Kaspersky "Total Security" which is happy with XP and constantly updates with no install problems, etc., so I figure I'm probably pretty well protected... but I always liked MalwareBytes... up and until this time. :(:(

I still hold out hope that, just maybe, they may put out a version which will work on XP and get along with other software, like my previously installed version did... so I hope to hear back from them when, and if, they care to honor my "LifeTime License" with a program that will actually work.

Just Saying... Nathaniel

I'm with GMork and his reasoning and wider view of the issue.  Just saying...

Well, Mr. exile360... or Samuel... I'm confused at to who is who, oh well.

o First, it would be nice if... I could...

" Try disabling self-protection under protection settings.  If that doesn't resolve it, then try excluding Malwarebytes and Kaspersky from one another as they may be getting hung up due to their realtime protection components scanning one another during startup. "

So, I thought, "Well, why not try that?" and I reinstalled Malwarebytes, which I downloaded from the site, as I thought "why not have the latest version, if there is one?" and I did, and I installed it, booted up my XP Pro(sp3) and no hangs. The license screen came up, so I dug up my lifetime code and activated the program... so far so good, then it installed the virus definitions, again so far so good. IF I recall, the MalwareBytes version ended in something like 3436? maybe?

Then I thought, "why not disable the "self-protection" and so forth. I clicked on the system tray icon for MalwareBytes.... and OH-NO!!!, same problem as before! MalwareBytes "grabbed" my OS, by its unmentionables, and everything ground to a freezing stop. I couldn't even uninstall the program... or do anything else, for that matter. The cursor wouldn't move so I couldn't engage "UninstallerPro" to uninstall Malwarebytes... and Control/Alt/Delete wouldn't work... again because everything, including the keyboard, was FROZEN! (fortunately, forever, as I'm typing this now...) so I had to "turn off" my computer, i.e. kill the power, and then:

As my computer was booting, but before it loaded Malwarebytes I was able to bribe, romance, coax, urge and  engage my Advanced Uninstaller Pro V12.17 friend, and asked him to not trash my whole system by yanking him out of his virtual bed during the boot-up process... and he generously was kind enough to be able to find a cozy corner of RAM wherein to engage himself, and Mirabile Dictu, he  "grabbed" MalwareBytes by it's tender private parts and cast it into that special computer eternal darkness place from where no light escapes and where no "User" is permitted to look. I just know MalwareBytes is gone and after a new bootup, now my system works again. This whole experience has, strangely, made me begin to speak in metaphorical language instead of computer geek, so I hope you can translate.

So... if you, or anyone who really knows, why/when/and/if Malwarebytes did what it did, and when it will stop doing it, if ever, Please let me know. In the meantime I'll trust Kaspersky to do it's thing, and hope it continues to stroke and sing to my CPU and my XP Pro (sp3) OS and they continue to share a few at the MS Bar & Spirits Lounge where they seem to get along, now, together, just fine.

Nathaniel, able, for a second time, to escape cleanly from the TRON County Jail with my MS/OS buddy and my Kaspersky pal.

On 3/20/2017 at 2:52 PM, exile360 said:

Try disabling self-protection under protection settings.  If that doesn't resolve it, then try excluding Malwarebytes and Kaspersky from one another as they may be getting hung up due to their realtime protection components scanning one another during startup.

I'm still waiting to hear if there's a newer version of the program, or a fix, to be compatible with XP ??

Nat, just hoping...

16 minutes ago, NathanielA said:

I'm still waiting to hear if there's a newer version of the program, or a fix, to be compatible with XP ??

Nat, just hoping...

You are welcome to try Fridays release But you need to do a CLEAN install after using MB clean first. 

Also I would suggest you add as many of  these exclusions you can to  your AV as well. Some wont/might not apply because of XP.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe