wtfits.science false positive?

skyem

Sorry if I don't have all the information you need, as what's happening is slightly confusing.

I do know that the domain name "wtfits.science" is blocked. It's hosted by a friend of mine, so it should be safe.

Here is a snippet from the protection log:

Detection, 2017-03-19 17:35, SYSTEM, SKYE-WINDESK-01, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Domain, 78.94.116.114, wtfits.science, 2986, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe,

It's worth noting that they use the IP address range from 78.94.116.113 to 78.94.116.118.

The strange stuff happens when I added the exclusion to that domain name (and IP). I can access it from my web browser just fine (it loads the nginx page because they don't host any website there), but when I try to connect to it from Minecraft, it doesn't work at all. What's odd is that there's no report in the protection log about it being blocked.
Out of curiosity I tried to use nslookup, and it seems to be that even when it's unblocked in my web browser, it blocks other programs from being able to access it? When I added nslookup to the exclusion list it returned the correct result.
This is somewhat confusing for me, as I tend to use software other than web browsers, such as PuTTY, Minecraft, etc...

Fortunately, I can connect directly to the IP address and it works fine, so it only seems to be the domain name that the blocker doesn't like.