Website blocked alert - More options

peteyt

I posted this in the main support section but was recommended to post here.

Basically when a website is blocked you are given a manage exclusion box. Clicking that takes you to the malware main dashboard so you then still have to go to settings - exclusions and then add it in manually.

What I'd like to suggest is another option on the alert basically similar to what an interactive firewall uses that would basically add it straight away exclusions. If this is something that Malwarebytes wouldn't consider, at least make it so clicking manage exclusions actually goes to the exclusions.

I know some people might be worried about allowing something they shouldn't so there are two options that could work to avoid this, that could also be combined if need be. The first is making this option off by default, basically meaning a user has to turn it on. The other is basically a confirmation e.g. "Are you sure you want to add this to the exclusions."

• 3 weeks later...

I agree-- I think.... :)

We have a website being blocked by anti-exploit

MWB shows in the lower corner telling us its blocked, but we have no choice if we actually want to allow it.

Add it to the exclusions you say?  well this pop-up its blocking is an education site, and the pop up is a blank box that they do their training in---and doesn't show any address/whatever that we could add to exclusions.  So I have no way of knowing what to add to exclusions to un-block it...

maybe having a button on the MWB alert box  "click here to un-block this"  and then a "are you sure".

Edited by Cleatus
t

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-4 at 2:15 AM, exile360 said:

Additional options for web blocks have been added to the tray in version 3.1 of Malwarebytes which is currently in beta.  Details and download are available here.

Just downloaded this to try it. In the changelog it says "Added ability to exclude the last website blocked by Web Protection via the tray menu" however it doesn't seem to work in the way it promises. All I see close and manage exclusions. Clicking manage exclusions does now open Malwarebytes in the exclusion settings area but you still have to then manually add it in. Is this a bug? It would be far easier like the changelog seems to imply if we could simply click add to exclusions on the popup and have it add it in without having to type it in manually.

Hello again.  I just heard back from the product team and was told that after a web block occurs you should be able to right-click on the tray icon and there should be an option there showing the last website that was blocked allowing you to exclude it.  It's the same as the option we had in MBAM 2.x/1.x previously, so the option isn't in the notification/pop-up itself.

Please let me know if you're still not seeing this option, but also keep in mind that it only shows the most recently blocked website and I believe it also has to be within the current session (I believe it gets wiped out after a reboot or if you exit/restart Malwarebytes by exiting from the tray).

Edited by exile360

8 hours ago, exile360 said:

Hello again.  I just heard back from the product team and was told that after a web block occurs you should be able to right-click on the tray icon and there should be an option there showing the last website that was blocked allowing you to exclude it.  It's the same as the option we had in MBAM 2.x/1.x previously, so the option isn't in the notification/pop-up itself.

Please let me know if you're still not seeing this option, but also keep in mind that it only shows the most recently blocked website and I believe it also has to be within the current session (I believe it gets wiped out after a reboot or if you exit/restart Malwarebytes by exiting from the tray).

Hi there. Just to confirm it is in the system tray option. However would the developers consider adding an option on the popup e.g. you could have a add to exception option alongside a view exceptions option. I would never have thought to check the system tray and so other users may not - having it in the system tray is good in case you miss/close the popup but it would be handier and quicker to also be able to do this directly via the popup.

Thanks again

Greetings :)

It was explained to me that the reason no such function was added to the pop-up was due to the fact that when a process is blocked, they didn't want users to mistakenly exclude the blocked process because they might end up accidentally excluding their browser which would in effect end up disabling web protection for the browser.  That said, I'm not sure why a function to simply exclude the blocked site cannot be added to the pop-up without providing a button to exclude the blocked process and I've posed this question to the team.  We'll see what they say, but my guess is that there's probably some issue programmatically in the UI/pop-ups that somehow makes this impossible.

2 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings :)

It was explained to me that the reason no such function was added to the pop-up was due to the fact that when a process is blocked, they didn't want users to mistakenly exclude the blocked process because they might end up accidentally excluding their browser which would in effect end up disabling web protection for the browser.  That said, I'm not sure why a function to simply exclude the blocked site cannot be added to the pop-up without providing a button to exclude the blocked process and I've posed this question to the team.  We'll see what they say, but my guess is that there's probably some issue programmatically in the UI/pop-ups that somehow makes this impossible.

If it's a security concern it could always be disabled by default and/or have a confirmation dialog