Does the BSOD only happen on windows 10?

Hi, I have been seeing lots of posts about the blue screen of death when using web protection. I am using windows 8.1 and am afraid to go on the internet because I don't want a BSOD. Is the BSOD an issue for windows 8.1? Also, if I turn off web protection manually, will I still get those pop-ups telling me I need to turn it off? When I am in a video game, I don't want to get alt-tabbed by these pop-ups all of a sudden. Thank you.

I believe we've only seen BSOD reports on Windows 10, but I can't confirm that. Not all users are getting the BSOD though, only a very small subset of users are experiencing it. As for turning off Web Protection, you should only get the popup once and then after you dismiss it, it won't show up again until you either restart Malwarebytes or restart your computer.

I'm thinking the BSOD has to do with users who have certain USB Wifi adapters, I myself have a Netgear A6210 and noticed whenever malwarebytes would attempt to connect to the internet for web protection, it would cause tcpip.sys to crash. 

The real worry is how long this has been allowed to go on for 3.0, and I haven't found a clear cut answer for the best way to go about downgrading back to 2.0.

@smiling we are working on a solution, but before we rush to put out an update, we want to make sure it doesn't introduce more issues.

There's a few ways to resolve this issue if you're experiencing it

1. You can turn off Web Protection under Settings -> Protection. This will prevent the Blue Screens but also not keep you as protected while navigating to potentially dangerous websites
  2. You can install the base 3.0.6 version of Malwarebytes 3 and turn off application updates. This will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled and prevent the blue screens, but you may be impacted by some of the other bugs that were present in CU2. This can be downloaded from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy
  3. You can install MBAM2.x from the following link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x. Downgrading to 2x will give you all the previous protections you had, but you will lose out on the enhanced scanning engine from MB3

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

@smiling we are working on a solution, but before we rush to put out an update, we want to make sure it doesn't introduce more issues.

There's a few ways to resolve this issue if you're experiencing it

1. You can turn off Web Protection under Settings -> Protection. This will prevent the Blue Screens but also not keep you as protected while navigating to potentially dangerous websites
  2. You can install the base 3.0.6 version of Malwarebytes 3 and turn off application updates. This will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled and prevent the blue screens, but you may be impacted by some of the other bugs that were present in CU2. This can be downloaded from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy
  3. You can install MBAM2.x from the following link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x. Downgrading to 2x will give you all the previous protections you had, but you will lose out on the enhanced scanning engine from MB3

Wow, that was a speedy response! Thanks for that! I appreciate you taking the time to write all this up. 

This is a shot in the dark, but is there a rumored timeline on how soon that particular bug will be fixed and a the subsequent patch released?