A-Squared tries to pull a quick one

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my favorite part...

I have come to believe that the meteoric rise of Malwarebytes (look at the CNet dowload stats) has been fueled by the attention they have paid to forums like techguy.
The support offered by Malware Bytes is awesome, and has got to be the best I've seen in a very long time, so "Paying Attention" to forums and helping users remove all sorts of malicious software is certainly what has fueled this "meteoric rise" to the top of this market.
3+ million, once-per-day updates vs. several times in a 24 hour period
I like the fact that every time new definitions are added to the database it is immediately available to the end user.

No one should ever have to wait 24 hours for the next update.

I spoke with the CEO of Emsisoft regarding this situation. Christian confirmed it was an employee of Emsisoft and he has dealt with him properly. I thank Christian for his efforts.
This is good, but should be followed by a public apology from the CEO of Emsisoft.

Honestly, this is more then likely going to boost your market share, not diminish it.

Kudos for direct action, whatever it was.

Now all the rest of the sec comm vendors need is a name so they can avoid hiring him\her. ;)

Named and hopefully shamed!

http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=p...p;m=32702#32702

Mike Christenson, the person responsible for the PM you quoted, is no longer part of Emsi Software GmbH. He was fired today (actually yesterday) as soon as we became aware of the mails and PMs he was sending out.
Named and hopefully shamed!

I'm sure he's pretty upset, at the very least. I just wonder how much of it was his own idea, and how much of it was supported by management. Knowing the way typical corporations work, he probably said something like this to his manager, "How about we reach out to these online support forums that are recommending Malwarebytes and see if they would also be willing to recommend our software as well." I guarantee that his manager thought it was a great idea, and then probably allowed the guy to implement it how he saw fit.

What they need to understand is that our software became the #1 recommended on support forums for several reasons:

1) We didn't just ask experts what they though. Marcin made an application specifically suited to helping them help users online and in the tech shop, and then we took their suggestions and recommendations and we improved upon our software.

2) We ignore old malware and easy to remove viruses that are removed by most anti-virus software, and we go after the nastiest and hardest to remove malware on the planet.

3) We have the best teams of developers and researchers on the planet. I have never seen people as capable and dedicated as the ones we have on staff. Some of them work 16 hour days, and I would believe that we all work 7 days a week.

• Staff
I'm sure he's pretty upset, at the very least. I just wonder how much of it was his own idea, and how much of it was supported by management. Knowing the way typical corporations work, he probably said something like this to his manager, "How about we reach out to these online support forums that are recommending Malwarebytes and see if they would also be willing to recommend our software as well." I guarantee that his manager thought it was a great idea, and then probably allowed the guy to implement it how he saw fit.

You took the words out of my mouth as was going to say very much the same thing.

Regardless of the whats happened, it has obviously discredited them with a lot of people and they will have to carry the brunt of this for a long time. I am sure a valuable lesson was learnt and they can make it better following through with a public apology which will save them some face.

Oh. Were you able to get your computer at least to boot back up so you could fix it?

That's just terrible, I'm sorry ;)

I didn't even bother to ask them for help.

@GT500

I bet you're right, I bet that's what happened.

You guys at Malwarebytes are the best, and I really and sincerely appreciate you all and I love your product so much that I bought it ;) and I recommend it to friends and family whenever I have the chance. It's amazing and I don't think there's anything quite like it out there. Not to mention the outstanding support ;)

I guarantee that his manager thought it was a great idea, and then probably allowed the guy to implement it how he saw fit.
  • Staff

So if I'm Emissoft, I'm isuing a public apology to Malwarebytes, regardless of the rogue employee. Seems only right. Or is that just me?

Anyone seen one?

I agree, that would be the best and most ethical thing for this company to do.

I haven't seen one, but then again I wouldn't know where to look.

So if I'm Emissoft, I'm isuing a public apology to Malwarebytes, regardless of the rogue employee. Seems only right. Or is that just me?

Anyone seen one?

There may have been one given to Marcin. Regarding a public apology, that is for Emisoft to conduct on their own grounds. As far as they are concerned, the matter has been dealt with. And it has been dealt with promptly. Far too often problems drag on for days, if not weeks. It would be nice for a public announcement, but they are not legally bound to do so if matters have been dealt with privatley..

• Staff

There may have been one given to Marcin. Regarding a public apology, that is for Emisoft to conduct on their own grounds. As far as they are concerned, the matter has been dealt with. And it has been dealt with promptly. Far too often problems drag on for days, if not weeks. It would be nice for a public announcement, but they are not legally bound to do so if matters have been dealt with privatley..
Legalities totally aside, a public apology is just the right thinig to do IMHO.
Makes you wonder what that person was thinking (or apparently not thinking).

Is very straight forward, a2 are struggling to get their product into an already saturated market so anything goes......

They cant establish in the core market as the big AV's have that sewn up so they are pushed out to the security forums for an entry point.

They see our growth and success and would like to emulate it.

MBAM is red and A2 is blue , the figures make very depressing reading for a2/Emsisoft

http://www.google.com/trends?q=a+squared%2...=ytd&sort=1

lol at Mr ex employee claims that a2 has a greater pressence in Germany than MBAM..google trends dose'nt agree ;)

Judging by a series of recent events around the security boards,bogus tests by a2, F/P's against MBAM and now these PM's then they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get noticed.

If they want to emulate MBAM then all they have todo is start cutting it in the realworld....shills always remind us about their stellar detection rates but their tech sucks at removing the real gnarlly stuff.

Maybe if their dev's department spent less time hacking our technology and database and concocting crass PR campaigns to get attention then they might have more time to improve their own software :angry:

JMHO but if a company has to resort to these kind of tactic's to get their software noticed, then really the software cant be doing a good job of selling itself in the first place.Afterall,their free version has been around for sometime now....

@ Fatdcuk

Well said!

Is very straight forward, a2 are struggling to get their product into an already saturated market so anything goes......

They cant establish in the core market as the big AV's have that sewn up so they are pushed out to the security forums for an entry point.

They see our growth and success and would like to emulate it.

MBAM is red and A2 is blue;)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=a+squared%2...=ytd&sort=1

lol at Mr ex employee claims that a2 has a greater pressence in Germany than MBAM..google trends dose'nt agree ;)

Judging by a series of recent events around the security boards,bogus tests by a2, F/P's against MBAM and now these PM's then they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get noticed.

If they want to emulate MBAM then all they have todo is start cutting it in the realworld....shills always remind us about their stellar detection rates but their tech sucks at removing the real gnarlly stuff.

Maybe if their dev's department spent less time hacking our technology and database and concocting crass PR campaigns to get attention then they might have more time to improve their own software :angry:

JMHO but if a company has to resort to these kind of tactic's to get their software noticed, then really the software cant be doing a good job of selling itself in the first place.Afterall,their free version has been around for sometime now....