should http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ work in MB 2.x

Is there another SAFE site that i can go to in order to test this just in case it is an issue with your test site?

If I do decide to try MB 3 CU4 (which really scares me at this point given the number of problems still being reported in the forums) what is the recommended steps I should take?  I know I've seen it here in the forums before, but I'm not sure where.

Thanks,
Bill

I don't know of another safe site to recommend for testing Web Protection.

As for updating, most users are perfectly fine simply downloading the latest installer and installing it overtop of MBAM2.x. If you want to be really safe, open MBAM2.x and write down your ID/Key. Then uninstall MBAM2.x using Control Panel. Once uninstalled, reboot, and then install the latest version of MB3. Once the program is installed, you can activate using your ID/key from before.

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

At this time, the solution for this issue is to upgrade to MB3. There are no plans to address this issue in MBAM2

Now Malwarebytes lets the cat out of the bag! :angry:

A very "skillful" business policy. :angry:

After  many years of a stably and safely running MBAM2 it appears some months after the release of the successor MB3 (afflicted with several severe bugs to this day) "suddenly" an issue concerning an important safety feature of MBAM2, i.e. the IP-protection doesn't work constantly and safely.

And the staff of Malwarebytes - wonder of wonders - isn't able to solve that issue...evil to him who evil thinks. :angry:

My high sympathy for Malwarebytes changes now over limited sympathy and subtle unease to current resentment and refusal. :angry: :angry:

1 hour ago, GMork said:

Now Malwarebytes lets the cat out of the bag! :angry:

A very "skillful" business policy. :angry:

After  many years of a stably and safely running MBAM2 it appears some months after the release of the successor MB3 (afflicted with several severe bugs to this day) "suddenly" an issue concerning an important safety feature of MBAM2, i.e. the IP-protection doesn't work constantly and safely.

And the staff of Malwarebytes - wonder of wonders - isn't able to solve that issue...evil to him who evil thinks. :angry:

My high sympathy for Malwarebytes changes now over limited sympathy and subtle unease to current resentment and refusal. :angry: :angry:

We've never patched older major versions of the software after a new version was released.  For example, any bugs in version 1.x were not fixed and no new 1.x consumer builds/patches were released after the launch of 2.x.  This is no different.  We're focused entirely on fixing 3.x and making it the best it can be.  Our developers are hard at work tracking down and fixing the very bugs you mention, many of which have already been addressed in recent releases and updates (component update 4 (CU4) was just released which addressed many such bugs and resolved longstanding issues for many of our users, but we know we've still got more to find and fix).

13 minutes ago, Firefox said:

@exile360, what does not make sense, is that MBAM v2 protection module was always working fine until just recently discovered after the launch of MB3.  Its hard to believe how all of a sudden v2 has bugs (in particular IP Protection module) that were never reported though its life cycle.

I assure you that whatever the cause of the issue may be, it was NOT intentional.  We aren't trying to force anyone to upgrade to MB3 and in fact have recommended users downgrade to 2.x frequently when we saw they had an issue with 3.x that we've not yet resolved.  Whatever the cause of the issue is, it must be something new that we haven't come across before or else it's simply something that slipped passed without us ever noticing.  If I had to guess I'd say it's most likely an issue with a config file and/or database causing the problem; something that's not new to any build of Malwarebytes as corruption of such files can always break protection and/or scanning and possibly other functions as well (such as settings etc.).  The root cause of it could be our new database update infrastructure (completely redesigned from the ground up I believe), some new def or defs in the database causing a syntax issue breaking that protection/making it fail to load/read the database(s) properly or any number of other possible reasons related to our new tech or our databases but it definitely is not intentional.  We would never want any of our users to be unprotected no matter what version of our software they might be using.

Remember, we are fully aware that we've also got plenty of business customers running older versions of Malwarebytes intentionally as they prize stability over new features and we know it may be sometime before they decide to upgrade their systems.  We'd never compromise their protection deliberately by breaking an older product version to try to force everyone onto a new one because then they'd most likely just move onto a new vendor for their endpoint protection and we'd lose a customer.

Edited by exile360

59 minutes ago, Firefox said:

I have suspected it has/had something to due maybe with the database updates / coding.... but of course I can't confirm that as I don't have access to the code, nor interested in getting the code...

That being said, the issue is also happening in MB3. ;)

Yep, I believe (and have believed for sometime now) that there's something going on with updates causing a lot of these intermittent issues we've been seeing.  I say that because I've seen similar problems in the past and while they weren't necessarily identical, they did appear to occur after updates and turned out to have nothing to do with the program itself, just bad databases and/or config files and once those issues were sorted, the product behaved as it should (this was with 1.x and 2.x that I'm referring to by the way, so it wasn't even related to the new 3.x product).  I think it would be a good idea to start collecting config files and databases along with the logs from systems affected by some of these issues, especially where they have anything to do with scans or realtime protection not working correctly or anything having to do with settings not being honored or not behaving as expected.

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Getting more logs would be helpful I suppose..  any ideas on testing the anti-exploit feature?

I'm thinking that when these issues occur it could be a good idea to grab the databases and configuration files to see if they are corrupted somehow, then start investigating things such as where users are getting updates from (which CDN/host, as there are several, with users being routed to the nearest/fastest one available to them geographically) to determine whether there's a pattern.  At one time (back in the 2.x days) there in fact turned out to be a specific CDN which kept pushing bad updates to users connecting to it due to a sync issue with the databases and configuration files.  Once that was fixed the issues went away.  This case may be similar; at least that's my theory.

As for testing anti-exploit, I'm not sure.  I know there was a tool developed for testing it at one time but I don't know if it's still available/useful for that purpose or not.  Assuming it's still available it should still work for testing exploit protection in Malwarebytes 3.0.

14 hours ago, exile360 said:

As for testing anti-exploit, I'm not sure.  I know there was a tool developed for testing it at one time but I don't know if it's still available/useful for that purpose or not.  Assuming it's still available it should still work for testing exploit protection in Malwarebytes 3.0.

The tool is still available for download, as I mentioned in my other topic HERE (no replies yet) and I show how the tool is not working as it should, so makes you wonder one of two things is happening.

1. Either the tool does not work as it should with version 3 or

2. The anti-exploit feature of MB3 is not working?

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

Checking that thread I see that you were able to get it working for testing (for now, after yet another clean install).  I guess that answers our questions about testing exploit protection, though obviously it reveals that there are still bugs in 3.x remaining to be fixed.

Yes it basically took 4 clean re-installs to get it working correctly at least at the moment... I will continue to monitor it on this computer.... I don't need a false sense of security knowing I have MB3 installed protecting me, but really not...

I wish you guys luck on the bugs.... hopefully fixed sooner than later