Is the IP-protection gone? How do i test the web protection?

5 hours ago, dcollins said:

Thanks. I agree most people will do a clean install,

I think you may have gotten that backwards... I say most people will do an over the top install...

Anyway, I just finished running the mbam-clean tool, rebooted and installed the latest CU4 beta.  I activated and it took a couple of minutes to turn on all protections on this computer.  Once they were on I went to http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ and I did get a notification that a site was blocked and was greeted with the correct website that Malwarebytes has blocked a potentially malicious website.... I then visited a known malicious site that is supposed to be blocked and that too yielded the correct results.

Seems to be working at the moment, I will continue to test it for a few days to see if the issue returns with no block notifications.

Thanks

I have been trying to get a fix for this problem from the support team for the last couple of months. The program since the cu3 update has been working as it should with the iptest.malwarebytes.org URL but if I click on  http://52.21.84.70 in chrome or edge I get the your IP protection is disabled page. I have been clean installing every update since version 3.0.5. I have sent all the logs, ran FRST fixes twice and now they are asking me to do the same things again. The support team says that I'm the only one that has reported this and it must be unique to my Hp Windows 10 64 bit laptop. I say BUNKUM! How can I be sure I have web protection if the app can not detect it's own test page, what's it going to be like with something more malicious? I wonder what percentage of the users out there who don't read this forum, are affected by this bug and totally unaware anything is amiss.

12 minutes ago, ejbeak said:

The support team says that I'm the only one that has reported this and it must be unique to my Hp Windows 10 64 bit laptop.

@ejbeakYou are not the only one. @Firefox Has been dealing with it for a while I at one point had it for a bit but is has been working fine for awhile now. No disrespect to support but why don't you post your logs here so some the rest of us could look and see if we can be of some assistance. 

Edited by Porthos

Thanks for the heads up Porthos.

I thought that a direct connection with the support team would be the best way to resolve issues but I see that this forum seems to be quicker and better informed than the robot that has been handling my case so far. If I don't get a logical answer soon I will take your advice and post some new logs here. 

@dcollins I have uninstalled cleaned and reinstalled every new update and some in between since version 3.0.5 and it is wearing my patience very thin. Surely you don't believe that this is a panacea for all this sick program's woes. Why can't you say that your test page is faulty or that my web protection is defective?  It's got to be one or the other! 

@ejbeak I can certainly feel your frustration as I too am/was dealing with this issue on a couple of computers.  I did do a clean re-install (after using the mbam-clean tool) and installed the latest CU4 version and it solved the issue on the first computer I have tried it on.  I will be installing it on the others as soon as I get a chance.

8 hours ago, ejbeak said:

@dcollins I have uninstalled cleaned and reinstalled every new update and some in between since version 3.0.5 and it is wearing my patience very thin. Surely you don't believe that this is a panacea for all this sick program's woes. Why can't you say that your test page is faulty or that my web protection is defective?  It's got to be one or the other! 

Our test page is working properly as many other users are getting blocked, there does seem to be something wrong with your web protection, which is why I'm recommending a clean uninstall/reinstall. Obviously it's not ideal, but this has solved the problem for multiple users so far.

23 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Our test page is working properly as many other users are getting blocked, there does seem to be something wrong with your web protection, which is why I'm recommending a clean uninstall/reinstall. Obviously it's not ideal, but this has solved the problem for multiple users so far.

I do not think your test page is working properly!

My "Web protection" works well if I try to download something using utorrent (I get a lot of alerts) but for your test page I get "This page cannot get displayed"

12 minutes ago, lock said:

My "Web protection" works well if I try to download something using utorrent (I get a lot of alerts) but for your test page I get "This page cannot get displayed"

What version of Malwarebytes are you using?

1 hour ago, lock said:

This is a known issue with CU3 that we identified in Web Protection. It has to do with a DNS resolution caching issue that causes some sites to be blocked properly, some sites to show a DNS error, and some sites to bypass the web protection. As I mentioned, most people simply needed to uninstall/reinstall to resetting their corrupted web protection cache and others have upgraded to our CU4 beta which has this fix inside of it.

@ dcollins I'm here to tell you that cu4 has not changed a thing. I completely uninstalled with Revo, ran Ccleaner, ran the Mb cleanup tool, rebooted, reinstalled and the first thing that happened was the web protection layer would not load. Remember that little bug? Ram usage is exactly the same as before. Clicking on  http://52.21.84.70 sends me to the same page as before. So I guess it's back to the old drawing board.

5 minutes ago, ejbeak said:

@ dcollins I'm here to tell you that cu4 has not changed a thing. I completely uninstalled with Revo, ran Ccleaner, ran the Mb cleanup tool, rebooted, reinstalled and the first thing that happened was the web protection layer would not load. Remember that little bug? Ram usage is exactly the same as before. Clicking on  http://52.21.84.70 sends me to the same page as before. So I guess it's back to the old drawing board.

In my situation worked! See what I get if I click on http://52.21.84.70

Untitled.jpg

@dcollins I have performed a clean re-install of version 2 on my second computer that was having issues with Web Protection not blocking sites.

Here is what its doing now....

If I go to http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ I get a notification from MBAM sys tray that the site was blocked, however I still get the webpage that states If you are able to reach this page it means that IP protection is disabled on your machine. 

If I click on REFRESH I get the notification and the correct site in IE https://block.malwarebytes.org/ that states Malwarebytes has blocked a potentially malicious website.  I did test it by going to a known blocked page and it did block the page. That being said, however when I do block for that site and I go back to the test site, the block notification is telling me it blocked the site (blocked site) instead of the   block site, so the name block site stays cached in the protection module.

I have to flush close out of my browser, then flush my DNS and then it shows the correct site name being blocked.  I hope that all makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dcollins said:

After doing some internal research, the best solution for this issue is to upgrade to MB3. We don't have any plans to address this issue in MBAM2

OK so basically force folks to upgrade to version 3?

I went ahead and upgraded my workstation to version 3 now.  I performed a deactivation of my MBAM v2. Uninstalled it.  Then Uninstalled MBAE.  After that I ran the mb-clean-2.4.1.1007 tool and asked to reboot.

I installed MB3, activated it, set my settings and exclusions.  All protections now enabled (I had to turn on Exploit Protection manually). Updated, Ran first scan, screen now shows Awesome You're protected.

Now I have gone to http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ to test my protection.  I was greeted with a MB3 notification that the a block was encountered, and the page I was directed to was -> If you are able to reach this page it means that IP protection is disabled on your machine.

Hit refresh and I was once again given the notification of a block in MB3 but this time I was taken to the block page -> Malwarebytes has blocked a potentially malicious website.

So is my protection really working?????

Just to add...

I ran ipconfig /flushdns on my workstation, restarted IE and reran the test.

I have gone to http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ to test my protection.  I was NOT greeted with a MB3 notification that the a block was encountered, and the page I was directed to was -> If you are able to reach this page it means that IP protection is disabled on your machine.

Hitting refresh I get an MB3 notification and the correct blocked page.