Malwarebytes is causing my computer to BSOD whenever my internet connection goes live. I have identified the Web Protection module as the problem.

Malwarebytes Version: 3.0.6

Network Adapter: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A6210?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Netgear Driver: 1.0.0.35 

Error: BSOD Bad Pool Header

Blue screen viewer shows tcpip.sys, ntoskrnl.exe as causing the crash

We've seen this report from some users. There are two potential solutions currently until we release a long-term fix

1. Users can disable Web Protection under Settings -> Protection. Note that this will keep you less protected when visiting potentially dangerous websites, but it will prevent blue screens from happening.
  2. If you want to keep Web Protection enabled, you can download the base 3.0.6.1469 installer from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy. Be sure to disable the first option under Settings -> Application titled "Automatically download and install application component updates". Otherwise CU3 will be downloaded in the background and the BSODs will start happening again.

I experienced the same exact problem recently with a similar setup. I can confirm that disabling Web Protection resolves the BSOD Bad Pool Header.

I am using :

Windows 10 Pro x64

Malwarebytes Version: 3.0.6.1469

Netgear AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter 

My wife has the same usb netgear network adapter as first poster. Web protection caused the bad pool error and crash on the first none beta release of mban 3.0 it was then fixed in the next version and can confirm the issue is  back again on last weeks 1075 build.

Also noticed before the crashes that sites like youtube and bbc will not load, some do. DNS issue caused by mban?

Like when the problem happened before disabling web protection does resolve the crashes and websites being unreachable.

5 other machines i run mban 3 on are functioning fine on latest build.

All machines on either win 10 home or pro 64 bit

Edited by nelstar
added os version

I've been having the same issue. Yesterday I did a clean install of windows. Everything worked fine for 2 hour then repeated BSOD's caused by tcpip.sys. Got to the point where I couldn't even boot my laptop. I did another clean install late last night and everything seemed to be ok. Today, I install Malwarebytes and within minutes I get the BSOD again.

I have just downloaded the recommended software above and will monitor to see if this fixes the issue. 

I also did a fresh install on my desktop PC but this seems to be unaffected by this issue.

OK, I can report that this issue still persists even after installing the above software.

After reading up on this issue I'm pretty sure that it is a conflict between Malwarebytes and Windows defender. Prior to the re-install I never had defender activated as I had AVG running alongside Malwarebytes which caused defender to remain dormant. However, I decided not to reinstall AVG as my subscription will expire in a few days and so this is why defender is now running.Unfortunately, defender does not recognise Malwarebytes as an anti virus program and tries to run alongside it and I have no way of turning it off.

Edited by Pepperpotty

Would you mind looking for .dmp files located in C:\Windows\Minidump or a file named C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP? And if any exist, can you zip them up and either upload them here if they will fit, or use wetransfer.com to upload and send them to dcollins@malwarebytes.com? Perhaps you're having a different issue.

Here they are, there are only 2 as I reinstalled my OS last night and wiped everything in the hope that it would work. Everything worked fine for the rest of the night and the morning until I installed Malwarebytes again. As soon as I turned it off, it all works fine again. The only things i have installed so far on my laptop is Chrome, Discord, Steam, Malwarebytes and the software for my WIFI dongle.

Thanks for your help with this,

031417-14281-01.dmp

031417-24125-01.dmp

On 3/13/2017 at 2:14 PM, dcollins said:

If you want to keep Web Protection enabled, you can download the base 3.0.6.1469 installer from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy. Be sure to disable the first option under Settings -> Application titled "Automatically download and install application component updates". Otherwise CU3 will be downloaded in the background and the BSODs will start happening again.

Hi guys.

@dcollins it works for me. Tnx.

How if I do it manually once in a while ?   Is this enough to be safe ? 

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, dcollins said:

Do you only BSOD if you use the new version? If so, then just wait for the announcement of our next update, and then you should be able to update to that version and get working properly.

I have been having the same issues with version 3 and BSOD. When I originally upgraded from version 2 to 3, I had intermittent problems with auto updates. However, this sometimes would work then sometimes wouldn't, so I had to update the software manually.

On Monday 13th March after using my PC (win 10 Pro)for about 10 minutes, I got a BSOD with the stop code of BAD_POOL-HEADER, which really can mean lots of things. After re-booting, my PC didn't even get to loading the start-up programs and gave me another BSOD. Same again after another boot....

Managed to turn off all the start programs in safe mode apart from my USB wifi adapter and rebooted. It did the same again. Thinking that the wifi adapter was to blame, went to the manufacturers website to look for new firmware/drivers etc. however, everything was up to date.

Re-imaged my PC to an image from the end of February and updated software that had been updated from that date. After a few re-boots due to the updates, my PC was working ok for about quarter of an hour, then another BSOD!!

Re-imaged again and updated, one item of software at a time. Everything was working fine, until I upgraded Malwarebytes from version 2 (2.2.1.1043) to version 3 (3.0.6.1469). As soon as I had done this, within 2 minutes another BSOD. re-booted and again BSOD when starting to load start up programs.

Safe mode uninstall version 3 and reboot, no BSOD!!. Culprit is Malwarebytes version3!

Re-imaged my PC to be on the safe side and upgraded all the relevant software apart from Malwarebytes version 3, staying with version 2. I now have my PC back to normal, with no issues. Due to the re-image there are no mini dumps, I'm afraid.

The problems with version 3 were a right pain and caused no end of swearing in my study. While version 3 was working, it was quite good apart from the auto update problems, however, I am not prepared to install it again and mess around with the web protection enabling/unable etc, as getting BSOD with this was very annoying.

When this is fixed (when will that be by the way?) will the latest version be available to download as a single full download, or will I have to install version 3 and hope to be able to update it to the fix version, before it kills my PC again?

Just as an after thought, when using version 3, web pages were loading slower than normal, some webpages were also missing image content and some videos wouldn't play. However, after uninstalling version 3, everything went back to normal with no issued when connecting to YouTube and news sites with this type of content.

Any update regarding the updated version fixing this issue would be appreciated, as I would quite like to use version 3 again.

2 minutes ago, Bomberh said:

When this is fixed (when will that be by the way?) will the latest version be available to download as a single full download, or will I have to install version 3 and hope to be able to update it to the fix version, before it kills my PC again?

As I mentioned above, we have identified what's causing this issue and are working on a fix. At this time there's no ETA for the update however. In the meantime, you can disable the Web Protection under Settings -> Protection which should stop the BSOD.

3 minutes ago, Bomberh said:

Just as an after thought, when using version 3, web pages were loading slower than normal, some webpages were also missing image content and some videos wouldn't play. However, after uninstalling version 3, everything went back to normal with no issued when connecting to YouTube and news sites with this type of content.

We have also identified some issues with Web Protection where this could happen, and are working on solutions to make it more reliable.

Just now, dcollins said:

As I mentioned above, we have identified what's causing this issue and are working on a fix. At this time there's no ETA for the update however. In the meantime, you can disable the Web Protection under Settings -> Protection which should stop the BSOD.

We have also identified some issues with Web Protection where this could happen, and are working on solutions to make it more reliable.

Thanks for the quick reply and I appreciate your efforts to fix these issues.

Will the fixed latest version be available to download as a single full download, or will I have to install version 3 I have and hope to be able to update it to the fix version, before it kills my PC again?

As I said I would rather stick with version 2 at the moment.

1 minute ago, dcollins said:

It should be available as a full installer so you don't have to worry about trying to update before the crash happens

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Will you be posting on this post, when the issues are fixed and the fixed update is available for download?