Baqd Pool Error

+1 this. As described by the topic creator, this same issue that I experienced regularly around December is back with an absolute vengeance - it's never consistent, sometimes the system will behave itself for a good while, other times it will produce a BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD shortly after the system starts and Chrome is launched. I've attached my logs below, on this occasion I'd been using Chrome to browse random sites for a while without encountering the BAD_POOL_HEADER error. I then launched Steam, signed into the Steam Community and launched Torment: Tides of Numenera, upon hitting the title screen for that game, the BAD_POOL_HEADER error hit (Chrome was still running in the background). 

Using Windows 10 64bit, which is up to date with the latest updates in conjunction with Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium and Bitdefender Total Security.

Malwarebytes version: 3.0.6.1469

Component Package version: 1.0.75

Update Package version : 1.0.0

From a WhoCrashed report:

On Tue 07/03/2017 16:55:39 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\030717-17468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x15F665) 
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFA504BBE1A170, 0xFFFFA504BBE1A190, 0x4020017)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue). 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Tue 07/03/2017 16:55:39 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x6C8A) 
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFA504BBE1A170, 0xFFFFA504BBE1A190, 0x4020017)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue). 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes). 
Google query: Malwarebytes BAD_POOL_HEADER

Logs are attached, for now I've no choice but to disable the Web Protection in Malwarebytes, which I'm not too happy about but random BSODs are unacceptable.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

logs.zip

• Root Admin

Hello @Castoff

The main culprit back then was from Bitdefender 2016 not by Malwarebytes. Bitdefender updated their 2016 program and that is what stopped the error.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2483375-malwarebytes-anti-malware-and-bitdefender-conflict---bsod?b_id=6438

I am not saying it is caused by Bitdefender this time as it may not be, but I do see you have Bitdefender 2017 installed on the computer. Before we delve into all sorts of further and deeper analysis can I get you to temporarily uninstall Bitdefender 2017 and see if the BSOD goes away?

If it does not go away then we can continue researching this further.

Thank you

On 08/03/2017 at 6:28 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Castoff

The main culprit back then was from Bitdefender 2016 not by Malwarebytes. Bitdefender updated their 2016 program and that is what stopped the error.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2483375-malwarebytes-anti-malware-and-bitdefender-conflict---bsod?b_id=6438

I am not saying it is caused by Bitdefender this time as it may not be, but I do see you have Bitdefender 2017 installed on the computer. Before we delve into all sorts of further and deeper analysis can I get you to temporarily uninstall Bitdefender 2017 and see if the BSOD goes away?

If it does not go away then we can continue researching this further.

Thank you

Unfortunately, Bitdefender does not appear to be the culprit. On your advice I removed Bitdefender and restarted my machine. Once I was back on the desktop the first thing I did was re-enable Malwarebyte's Web Protection. Once this was done and I and the Web Protection was shown as "on", I opened Chrome and before I even began browsing any sites was met by the same BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD once again. As an aside, back in December when I first encountered this issue I was using Avast and the problem was equally prevalent at that time, so I consider it doubtful that Bitdefender is at fault in this instance.

Oh my god - i have/had the same bsod problem (tcpip.sys).

i thought it was my network driver but couldnt find any solution. today i completly deletedwindows and reinstalled it. and when i was reinstalling malwarebytes... boom...the bsod started again with the same error. 

i uninstalled malwarebytes for now. pls inform me, when there is a solution.

thank you,

ken

@Ken87 you can turn off Web Protection and that should stop the BSOD from happening if you wanted to keep some protection still enabled. We are hoping to have this fixed soon though as we don't want people having to choose between crashing or being protected.

You can also use the base 1469 installer available from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy. Make sure to go into Settings -> Application and disable the top option "Automatically download and install application component updates" or you'll get the CU3 update

Edited by dcollins

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings! Got the exact same issue after updating to version 3.0.6: BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD on Windows 10 upon Chrome launching, WhoCrashed shows two errors:

On Tue 3/28/2017 3:18:19 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032817-4343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x15F055) 
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFAF8D0E713B80, 0xFFFFAF8D0E713BA0, 0x4020017)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys

On Tue 3/28/2017 3:18:19 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x6C8A) 
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFAF8D0E713B80, 0xFFFFAF8D0E713BA0, 0x4020017)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mwac.sys

I've tried to update TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter drivers to the latest available on their website with no avail, so I've temporary disabled Web Protection. Hope that this issue will be addressed soon.