If there is a piece of malware stored in a .iso malware bytes wont find it on a regular scan or by scanning the .iso file directly

I'm not sure I'd call this a bug.

ISO archives scanning just don't seem to be supported at the moment.

From the help:

Custom Scanning Options

These settings provide capability to determine the functional areas that will be scanned. They are as follows:

• Memory Objects: Memory which has been allocated by operating system processes, drivers, and other applications. It is important to note that threats detected during scans are still considered threats if they have an active component in memory. As an extra measure of safety, memory objects should be scanned.
  • Startup and Registry Objects: Executable files and/or modifications which are initiated at computer startup, as well as registry-based configuration changes that can alter startup behavior.
  • Archives: If this setting is checked, archive files (ZIP, 7Z, RAR, CAB and MSI) will be scanned up to four levels deep. Encrypted (password-protected) archives cannot be tested. If left unchecked, archive files will be ignored.
  • Rootkits: These are files stored on your computer's local disk drives which are invisible to the operating system. These files may also influence system behavior.

Greetings :)

Yep, we don't scan ISOs.  The thing to remember here is that, even if an ISO contains malware, it cannot infect a system until it is extracted/unpacked/installed on a system.  The same is actually true of archives.  As long as a threat is within such a container it isn't capable of being active.  That said, we'd naturally attempt to detect any threat which might be installed on the system, regardless of its source.  Also, there are ways to test ISOs and such, including installing them inside a Windows instance running within a virtual machine to protect the host/live system from being infected.  As long as your install a copy of Malwarebytes Free inside the VM so that you can scan it after installing the software, you should be able to determine if the ISO is clean or not.  That said, if what you're most concerned about is content downloaded via Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software such as a Bittorrent client etc., then also be aware that there are other risks besides malware infections if the content you're downloading is pirated/does not include licensing that allows sharing/using it in such ways.  Please refer to our Copyright Policy for additional details on some of the potential risks associated with the use of pirated content if you need more info on that aspect of things at all.

Note: I am NOT in any way attempting to insinuate that you actually are pirating anything at all; I simply want to make sure that all of our bases are covered just in case any of the content you're using/dealing with might be pirated so that you may be better informed and take whatever measures you deem necessary to best protect yourself and your system.

I hope this information was helpful.  Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with or questions about the software that we can answer for you.

Edited by exile360