New MB-Clean Tool not removing all

Done!

Thanks for the help.

Have you any idea why this machine was booting to a temporary Windows profile?  I know I'm not alone because I've read posts here and elsewhere with others reporting the same thing.  MB 3 is running fine on my other two machines but not so for this one.

Thanks,
Krusty

6 minutes ago, dcollins said:

We aren't sure what's causing that issue, but it is something we're trying to track down. If you do reinstall MB3 and the issue resurfaces, providing the information from the following thread would be very helpful

OK, next time I get game and try MB 3.x again I'll do that.  I have uninstalled / reinstalled every public version of MB 3 that has been released and I've experienced this with them all.

PS:  I don't know what's up with this forum but after I post once I cannot post again or sign out.  I have already reported this before to @AlexSmith but he (?) was unable to reproduce.  I've had this issue with Firefox, Cyberfox, Chrome and Edge.

Just a shot in the dark here, but are you by any chance using Macrium or any other sort of backup/rollback utility to do any kind of automatic/scheduled regular backups of your system/registry/disk etc.?  I'm just thinking that perhaps a conflict between such a tool and perhaps our self-protection driver and/or one or more of our protection components might be at the heart of the issue you're seeing with the loading of temporary profiles (which, as I'm sure you know, are basically temporary registry hives, which Windows defaults to when it cannot load the actual hive for the current system and/or user (usually the user)).  My thinking is that perhaps some tool is creating an image of the system/hive(s) in a particular state and when our self-protection is active it prevents our registry keys/files/drivers/processes etc. from being modified or overwritten which could I believe in theory cause behaviors like this under the right circumstances.

It is incredibly difficult dealing with this website.

Yes, I do have Macrium Reflect scheduled to back up my machines once a week, but no incrementals so this perhaps shouldn't be relevant.   I've just had one of my other machines begin to boot to a temporary profile too but I've restored that machine back to before installing a software I decided I didn't want to use so there won't be a log at this stage.

Anyway, I have three machines and I have experienced the booting to temporary profiles on all three with earlier versions of MB 3 but one machine still regularly boots to a temp profile.  This does not happen with MBAM 2.x installed.

Do you have self-protection active (it's on by default in 3.x, but I don't believe that's true of 2.x)?  Perhaps turning that off might be a temporary workaround until we can figure out what's going on and hopefully get it fixed (assuming my hunch is correct, though it may not be, especially since you're only doing weekly backups).  Also, while I doubt it is related, I do believe that System Restore may sometimes break a Malwarebytes installation, necessitating a reinstall of the software (this was true of 1.x and 2.x and may also be true of 3.x), but of course if you're not doing SR on a super regular basis/haven't done it on all of these machines with 3.0 installed then that's probably not the issue either (and certainly shouldn't cause the loading of temp profiles).

10 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Do you have self-protection active (it's on by default in 3.x, but I don't believe that's true of 2.x)?  Perhaps turning that off might be a temporary workaround until we can figure out what's going on and hopefully get it fixed (assuming my hunch is correct, though it may not be, especially since you're only doing weekly backups).  Also, while I doubt it is related, I do believe that System Restore may sometimes break a Malwarebytes installation, necessitating a reinstall of the software (this was true of 1.x and 2.x and may also be true of 3.x), but of course if you're not doing SR on a super regular basis/haven't done it on all of these machines with 3.0 installed then that's probably not the issue either (and certainly shouldn't cause the loading of temp profiles).

I sincerely appreciate your interest in looking to resolve the 'Temporary Profile' bug, so as soon as I have some free time I will reinstall MB 3.0, try disabling Self Protection and see if that helps  I will also upload the logs DCollins requested.

Please understand that this hasn't happened straight away after installing MB 3.  Typically it takes a day or two to appear which I'm sure you understand, makes tracking down that much harder.

No, I don't ever use System restore.  ;}

Sure, no problem at all.  I'm just trying to pitch in and help where I can.  I know how tedious and frustrating tracking down issues like this can be (when I first started with Malwarebytes as an employee I was their very first QA (Quality Assurance) meaning a big part of my job was to find and document bugs as well as replicating issues reported by others and trying to find solutions/causes/workarounds where I could (as that often helps the users as well as the Devs in finding fixes).

And yes, please do continue to work with DCollins if you're willing (though we totally understand if you don't have the time to do so because we realize that troubleshooting issues with our software is most likely not the most exciting thing you'd like to do with your time).  We're most grateful for your help in finding, reporting and helping us to track down these issues.  Hopefully finding a final solution to this problem will be quick for the Dev team.

@Krusty do you use any ad-blocking software? Another user reported that their ad-blocker was causing the logout issue on the forums for them. You might want to try disabling that for this website and see if the logout issue still occurs. If that fixes it, please let us know what software you use and we can see why that's happening.

7 hours ago, dcollins said:

@Krusty do you use any ad-blocking software? Another user reported that their ad-blocker was causing the logout issue on the forums for them. You might want to try disabling that for this website and see if the logout issue still occurs. If that fixes it, please let us know what software you use and we can see why that's happening.

Yes, I have uBlock Origin installed in Firefox and Chrome, AdBlock Plus in Edge.  I will test if disabling that helps.

14 hours ago, exile360 said:

Just a shot in the dark here, but are you by any chance using Macrium or any other sort of backup/rollback utility to do any kind of automatic/scheduled regular backups of your system/registry/disk etc.?  I'm just thinking that perhaps a conflict between such a tool and perhaps our self-protection driver and/or one or more of our protection components might be at the heart of the issue you're seeing with the loading of temporary profiles (which, as I'm sure you know, are basically temporary registry hives, which Windows defaults to when it cannot load the actual hive for the current system and/or user (usually the user)).  My thinking is that perhaps some tool is creating an image of the system/hive(s) in a particular state and when our self-protection is active it prevents our registry keys/files/drivers/processes etc. from being modified or overwritten which could I believe in theory cause behaviors like this under the right circumstances.

@exile360  have you seen this thread? I had this problem on a win 10 laptop with NO backup/rollback utility just standard win 10

ooops I see you posted there sorry

Edited by Super Dave