Web Protection is causing Blue Screens on Windows 10

Starting this morning, I started getting blue screen errors in my Windows 10 installation in tcpip.sys.  After a failed roll back to a system restore, the problem seem to have went away.  I noticed that my MalwareBytes had degraded to free mode, and when I put my premium key back in and reactivated all the protections, I got a blue screen again.

I have turned off the Web Protection, and I haven't gotten a blue screen since.

Is anyone else having random blue screen errors?

Hello and Welcome...

I have not seen this reported as of yet...

Let's try this first....

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (after uninstalling you can download the latest version to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU3 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

I got around to being able to try and do this at lunch, but when I turned on the Web Protection again to reproduce the problem before uninstalling, it doesn't seem to be happening anymore.  I don't know if it was potentially related to the popups that everyone else was seeing with this morning's release and it was instead causing problems with my specific installation, but I can no longer reproduce the issue.

Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it!

I've had 3.0.1469 running fine the last couple of weeks then today uninstalled (using mbclean) and installed the latest (1075) and had bad pool header errrors exactly the same as when I first installed MBAM 3.0 back in December or whenever it was (had a support ticket on that).  Reinstalled 1469 and all seems well again.  Despite a lifetime license I'm about at the end with this 3.0.  I'll skip this latest patch at the least.

@wordsworthI have  exactly the same issue logged a week ago here

with version 3.0.6 CU 1.0.75 on Win 10 x64. I had to revert to the previous version to stop BSOD or turn off web protection. The snag with 1.0.69 is the ip protection does not function correctly. Hopefully the memory.dmp files I uploaded will help the Mbam team to pinpoint the problem.

To rub salt  into the wound the laptop (win 7)  also has problems with the latest mbam and I am waiting for a response to my post for that - no functioning web protection at all with IE now- . Gets a bit wearisome with uninstalling and reinstalling many times on both machines. I have decided to turn off updating on another win 7 laptop still running mbam2!

I cant believe that two computers have serious issues but am hoping that these issues will be fixed sooner than later. 

I have used earlier versions of mbam and anti exploit for many years without a problem.

6 hours ago, wordsworth said:

I've had 3.0.1469 running fine the last couple of weeks then today uninstalled (using mbclean) and installed the latest (1075) and had bad pool header errrors exactly the same as when I first installed MBAM 3.0 back in December or whenever it was (had a support ticket on that).  Reinstalled 1469 and all seems well again.  Despite a lifetime license I'm about at the end with this 3.0.  I'll skip this latest patch at the least.

Exactly my experience.

I should correct my earlier statement where I use 1075 as it is 1.0.75 for the component package and 3.06.1469 for the MBAM version. 

I agree with you especially concerning the uninstalling and reinstalling; not something anyone likes to do and one of the reasons I may uninstall MBAM at least for a good while.  I have a lifetime license so would still keep on eye on if 3.0 develops into a mature product.  Right now it does not appear so and that becomes tedious especially where an anti malware program is concerned which end users like to feel good about that it is a rock solid product.

I am running 3.0.6.1469 / 1.0.75 and also BSOD BAD POOL HEADER back again.. if turned off Web Protection no BSOD.

But this issue has already been addressed before

what is happening?

It is insufferable every time a change is made the BSODs return ..

Every time a change is made in MB3 the BSOD come back .. MB3 seems to be an absolutely unstable product,

On 3/3/2017 at 8:47 AM, wordsworth said:

I may uninstall MBAM at least for a good while.  I have a lifetime license so would still keep on eye on if 3.0 develops into a mature product.  Right now it does not appear so and that becomes tedious especially where an anti malware program is concerned which end users like to feel good about that it is a rock solid product.

+1

What concerns me is whether MBAM's malware protection is plagued by similar programming deficiencies. If you can't get the small stuff right, what assurance is there that the core program offers protection? I've seen very little in the form of 3rd party malware challenge tests using v3. I'm considering a six month v3 hiatus. I don't have time (nor patience) for repeated reinstalls.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

I'm new to the forums, but not Malewarebytes.  I really love this program and think it's come along way.  Recently I have been getting blue screens.  I was unsure what it was an so I went through my event viewer and didn't find anything definitive.  I checked the memory dump and it referenced "MBAMService.exe".  After uninstalling the program I am no longer getting blue screens.  At first I didn't even know what was causing the blue screens.  Then I determined it was anytime I used a browser.  I've attached a copy of a memory dump I did.

Output.txt

I have the same problems as above. These BSOD's are getting unbearable. I also have an issue currently with real-time protection layers (Ransomware protection is the only one) going inactive. I have turned off Web Protection to see if I get better results like Shanafan.

On 3/4/2017 at 7:56 PM, shanafan said:

I am having the same BSOD issues with BAD POOL HEADER when browsing the web.

I am running 3.0.6.1469, component 1.0.75

I turned off Web Protection, and I will see if the BSOD issues return..

58c73c40cb8e8_2017-03-1318_40_48-MalwarebytesPremium3.0.6.png.0a926dd65d6559965fab9557aff14163.png

If you're still getting BSODS, disabling Web Protection under Settings -> Protection should stop the crashes. If that works for you, you can leave Web Protection disabled if you want (although you'll be less protected if you visit potentially malicious websites). The other option would be to install the base 3.0.6 installation from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy and use that version. Just be sure to disable the "Automatically check for application component updates" option under Settings -> Application or you'll download CU3 and be back in the same boat. Just note that after our next update comes out, you'll need to re-enable the update check

Edited by dcollins

21 hours ago, dcollins said:

If you're still getting BSODS, disabling Web Protection under Settings -> Protection should stop the crashes. If that works for you, you can leave Web Protection disabled if you want (although you'll be less protected if you visit potentially malicious websites). The other option would be to install the base 3.0.6 installation from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/4lvqnogr3waf8lzkpkn4z0o4qxjto9oy and use that version. Just be sure to disable the "Automatically check for application component updates" option under Settings -> Application or you'll download CU3 and be back in the same boat. Just note that after our next update comes out, you'll need to re-enable the update check

Any ETA on the next update for fixing this?

I had the same BSOD problems and finally realized it was Malwarebytes.  I couldn't access the internet, every time I tried I would get a BSOD.  Bad Pool Header  which after looking at dmp logs said it was a TCIP issue.  After uninstalling Malwarebytes I've had no problems whatsoever.    I'll wait for a new patch to come out and then try it again.  

BSOD with version 3 appears to be a big problem that a lot of users are having issues with, which is also highlighted through these forums.

I like a lot of users have either uninstalled version 3 and won't use the software again untill it works properly, or have reverted to version 2 like I have. At least it works and doesn't kill my PC. 

With version 3, I don't won't to have to turn this off, try this or that to make it work, I just want it to work, which is not too much to ask, especially if you have paid for the use of the software!

When I started getting BSOD with version 3, it took a while and re-images of my PC to find that this software was the problem. I have used loads of good paid for software over the years, but this is the first time I have come across a newly promoted piece of software that has caused me so much pain, especially when the previous version ( without bells and whistles ) was working really well.

This type of software is really important to us users, that is why we pay for the privilege of using it knowing that we can trust it to work.

I am hoping that they fix this very soon, so I can trust using this software again. If not I probably won't be the last user to ditch the software and look elsewhere, even if I have a lifetime licence.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 1:22 PM, dcollins said:

I've been using that version, but as of tonight, I can no longer start Web Protection. It's stuck on "Starting..." I've tried rebooting but to no avail.