Bitter reality

• 1 month later...

sman,

With all due respects, you can't understand the nature of his post when it is that brief. Your post may be anecdotal or may have true meaning for you, but he can't know that with a "lol" response, and you don't know what he was thinking.

I'm just trying to make sure a flame war doesn't erupt, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

"Love is blind"

This expression is first found in Chaucer's Merchant's Tale, circa 1405:

For loue is blynd alday and may nat see.

Cobbe family portrait of William ShakespeareIt didn't at that stage become a commonly used phrase and isn't seen again in print until Shakespeare took it up. It became quite a favourite line of his and appears in several of his plays, including Two Gentlemen of Verona, Henry V and this example from The Merchant Of Venice, 1596:

JESSICA: Here, catch this casket; it is worth the pains. 
I am glad 'tis night, you do not look on me, 
For I am much ashamed of my exchange: 
But love is blind and lovers cannot see 
The pretty follies that themselves commit; 
For if they could, Cupid himself would blush 
To see me thus transformed to a boy.

Modern-day research supports the view that the blindness of love is not just a figurative matter. A research study in 2004 by University College London found that feelings of love suppressed the activity of the areas of the brain that control critical thought.

Of course, we should all take note of J Mason Brewer's advice in Worser Days and Better Times, 1965 (which is described as a 'collection of negro humour'):

I don't make love by the garden gate, 
For love is blind, but the neighbors ain't.

'Eye for an eye' will make the whole world go blind.. Force will never win love be it with even one's children.. There will only be 'hatred' with force.. Either you give-in wholeheartedly or don't go thru' with it.. Only, if you're sincere you can expect the equal reciprocation (take the case of children itself).. It's all about 'Trust' and wholesome effort.. 'Happiness is in the heart' and effort to be from the bottom of the heart..  sad to see the views which will be disastrous to follow..