Feedback on Malwarebytes 3.06.1469 BETA component package version: 1.0.69

Hi Becky,

You asked for feedback on the latest mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469 CU3 BETA component package version: 1.0.69

I installed the latest BETA release of Malwarebytes Premium 3.06.1469 component package version 1.0.69 this morning by quitting MB from the system tray and then installing the new version over the old one. All was OK and, as far as I can see, settings were preserved. I then rebooted and MB tray icon fired up correctly, showing an error for a few seconds which then disappeared. Opening the program showed everything in order.

I then checked the size of the SVI folder with TreeSize, then ran a backup with Casper 10 - after backup, the size of the SVI folder was reduced by 2 GB. Good News!

I'm running a full scan including rootkits as I write this and that is going as expected although still very heavy on resources on my underpowered Lenovo G560 with Intel P6100 processor (just completed in 17 minutes) - perhaps that will be addressed in a future release................

Thanks for the improvements!

Windows 7 SP1 x64
Malwarebytes 3.0.6.1469 CU3 Premium
Avast Free 17.1.2286
CryptoPrevent 8.0 Premium
Casper 10 Backup

2 hours ago, TempLost said:

I'm running a full scan including rootkits as I write this and that is going as expected although still very heavy on resources on my underpowered Lenovo G560 with Intel P6100 processor (just completed in 17 minutes) - perhaps that will be addressed in a future release...

Still very heavy on resources - what do you mean by that? Could you describe that in detail? Thank you in advance.

---
Learning foreign languages in the classroom - such as English, French and Latin - were always a tiresome devotion to duty (if one can say this so). However, I will do my best!

31 minutes ago, ZVAXX said:

Still very heavy on resources - what do you mean by that? Could you describe that in detail? Thank you in advance.

---
Learning foreign languages in the classroom - such as English, French and Latin - were always a tiresome devotion to duty (if one can say this so). However, I will do my best!

I mean that I normally leave Malwarebytes 3.0 to get on with it when it is scanning and if I try to run something else, it can be slow to open. For instance, I just ran another scan to check and, while doing so, tried to open Sysinternals Process Explorer - it took far longer than normal to open up. I hope that Malwarebytes will in future add a user option to limit the percentage of processor resources allocated to scanning.

33 minutes ago, TempLost said:

Whole HDD - 1 TB - C: plus restore partition

Interestingly, but that was almost to be feared ... though, I had previously assumed that the freezing of other functions and programs is due to the use of an SSD that allows a high scan throughput. The fact that the problem now also with a comparatively lame HDD consists, is particularly sad. This shows all the more that the problem urgently needs to be solved (on this I have pointed out several times for a month and made suggestions, but the responsible ladies and gentlemen never get an answer ...).

To MB: when the fix should devinitivly come and what will the user expect?
(in v.2 the resource load was also high during scanning, but at least the system was still usable in parallel, without having to adjust the settings individually; but that you have messed up in v.3, you know yourself ...)

---

Maybe it's just my Windows 8.1, 64-bit OS with 16GBs memory and SSD drive, but...

I do not see much of an issue with scanning, as far as performance goes. The system is still responsible and I've seen MBAM CPU utilization during a scan as low as 50%, depending on the applications being opened.

Here's a picture of CPU utilization during a manual scan:

resource_utilization.thumb.jpg.5b5df52cb55f72c33eeaa6c1da45ef9d.jpg

Yes, the CPU is pretty much at the max, due to opening eight to ten application at the time of the scan for testing purposes. 

Again, the performance during the scan might be just my system...

54 minutes ago, dont_touch_my_buffer said:

Maybe it's just my Windows 8.1, 64-bit OS with 16GBs memory and SSD drive, but...

I do not see much of an issue with scanning, as far as performance goes. The system is still responsible and I've seen MBAM CPU utilization during a scan as low as 50%, depending on the applications being opened.

Here's a picture of CPU utilization during a manual scan:

resource_utilization.thumb.jpg.5b5df52cb55f72c33eeaa6c1da45ef9d.jpg

Yes, the CPU is pretty much at the max, due to opening eight to ten application at the time of the scan for testing purposes. 

Again, the performance during the scan might be just my system...

My laptop has a very basic P6100 processor and 4 GB of RAM, so it struggles with anything too complex, although it's fine for everyday tasks I'm awaiting an 8 GB upgrade from Crucial which should help and might chance an i5 upgrade to the processor if I can find one that would fit on Ebay from a reliable source.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:42 PM, bdubrow said:

Thank you, TempLost, for sharing your feedback.

I appreciate your confirming the SVI folder problem has been fixed.

Since I started this thread, I may have unearthed a problem still remaining with the bloating of the SVI folder when performing registry backups with Tweaking.com's RegistryBackup using the Volume Shadow Copy service.

Settings>Protection>Enable self-protection module cannot be turned On or Off.  Same with 'Enable self-protection module early start'. Still no clear/reset for 'Protection History'.  Now, for 'Items scanned', it's up to 3,000,000.  Huh?

Can you give me a link to Version 3.0.5?  At least, for me, every module worked except Settings>Protection>Manage Protected Applications the Edit and Remove buttons are grayed out.  Yeah, I know I can turn individual Applications On or Off.

No such thing as perfection (v3.0.6.xxxx) in MB'$ universe...not even close [for this user].  How many months has v3 been released and updated, yet, no way near RTM quality!  RC1 maybe.

How the "Worm has turned."

Robert

Edited by Robertiy

I had to uninstall the 3.0.6 as my pc keeped hanging and web protection was off,

I installed the beta and that went really well, all protection came on and the scan was done in no time at all,

I then rebooted and web protection came on which is great but then when I tried to just right click my desktop the system hung for about 5mins.

In the end I had to uninstall mb in safe mode and all was back to normal after reboot.

Not sure how much this helps but its not usable for me atm.

On 19/02/2017 at 2:45 PM, TempLost said:

Best way to see the System Volume Information folder is to download TreeSize Free from Jam Software http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

It never occurred to me that SVI meant System Volume Information.

I'm not sure I would ever want to use software that's meddling with Windows at such a deep level that unwanted files are created in System Volume Information.

It has to be a disaster just waiting to happen.

It's meant to just be Windows' own storage for restore points and similar stuff.