On 2/11/2017 at 10:55 AM, mem said:

Thank you - I have removed 3.0.6~ from my computer and installed 2.2.1.1043 - no more activation failures, no more "cannot connect to update server" nonsense. No more support insistance that 3.~ bugs are the fault of some other security software. 

I just posted this in a new thread and thought maybe some here would benefit from it.

Hi I downloaded the most recent update to see if it had resolve the web protection turning off or not starting issue I was having with a past version. I am happy to say that the most recent version seems to be working as it should be.

The "issue" (not really an issue) I was having with the most recent version was that the program was blocking itself from downloading updates. Also, something else was being blocked and I am not sure what it is doing.

I had to add two exclusions to the application to resolve the "website blocked" notifications I was getting. One of them allowed me to get updates: sirius-sir-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com

the other I have noclue but it was the same server as the update server so I thought, "What the hell-add it to exclusions also." It is: keystone-key-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com

I am posting here to make sure these are valid URL's for official application routines and not some man-in-the-middle thing happening.

Thanks,

J

• 1 month later...

My 10 cents worth:

I'm a computer builder and serviceman with over 20 years experience.

I used Malwarebytes Free for many of those years and always recommended the full version to my customers.

The free version was adequate for me on my own computers, because I only scanned for bugs re-actively - ie, when I suspected their presence, (which was rare*).

With customer's machines, running a Malbam (free) scan was always my first action when cleaning and tuning their PCs.

Up until v.2.2.1, I had never experienced any problems with Malwarebytes.

However, that trouble-free and pleasant state of affairs ended when I finally decided to purchase v.3.0. For over six months I put up with the all the issues that have been covered on other forums and in this thread, thinking that the Malwarebytes developers would surely fix the problems, but, as we know, they have not.

So, three months ago I uninstalled Malwarebytes 3 and ceased to recommend it to my customers.

The performance of my three desktops and three laptops immediately improved.

All I run now is the extremely simple and basic Clamwin AV.

In closing, I note from the above posts that Kaspersky has copped some flak due to Malbam problems.

For what it's worth, I've never used Kaspersky. The only AV that I've ever installed, other than Clamwin, was Eset's NOD32, but I dumped it two years ago when the makers also started to lose the plot.

*Tip: Most tech guys acquire a feel for irregularities in their own systems. It's a hunch thing. Sometimes it's little more than a program opening a little slower than normal. Or an oddly-worded popup message (many malware creators seem to have a poor command of English).

So, most IT people don't have too many problems with spyware or viruses.

But for those average users who might be reading this, the minute you suspect that something unusual might be happening to your computer, power-off immediately. Either press and hold the power button until the computer shuts down (15-20 seconds) or pull the power cable out of the wall socket.

Then restart in Safe Mode and do a scan with a good free bootable anti-virus disc that you've previously prepared.

There are many of these available online. Kaspersky has a good one. Google 'bootable antivirus tools' and you'll have many choices.

Good luck :-)

9 minutes ago, byteback said:

I'm a computer builder and serviceman with over 20 years experience.

Same here.

9 minutes ago, byteback said:

I used Malwarebytes Free for many of those years and always recommended the full version to my customers. With customer's machines, running a Malbam (free) scan was always my first action when cleaning and tuning their PCs.

Since 2009 I have been selling the paid version on 90% of all computers that come in the shop and 100% of computers that I actually scan (part of my fee)to clean to keep in line with the EULA.

19 minutes ago, byteback said:

So, three months ago I uninstalled Malwarebytes 3 and ceased to recommend it to my customers.

Sorry to see you go and not recommending MB any longer.    

Signed,

Another tech and long time user and continued supporter of Malwarebytes.

9 hours ago, achzone said:

I think Malwarebytes are doing themselves a huge dis-service by promoting their product with such an (imo) outrageous claim that their product can make Antivirus obsolete.

I don't disagree, but...

The larger dis-service provided by Malwarebytes is not being able to eliminate bugs in their software. Real time protection is still iffy at best, even if they'd tell you that statistically speaking, it is actually a small percentage of end users who are impacted. I don't necessarily agree with that and from my perspective, all of my and some of customers' systems that have MWB are 100% impacted.

The annoyances that the four month old package still exhibits is no longer a growing pain, it is a fact of life with MWB. I am in the process of redesigning the layered protection for Windows systems that will not include MWB.

7 minutes ago, dont_touch_my_buffer said:

it is actually a small percentage of end users who are impacted. I don't necessarily agree with that and from my perspective, all of my and some of customers' systems that have MWB are 100% impacted.

As posted above I am not having all these issues. But all clients are Win 10 with Defender with exclusions added. No other 3rd party AV.

And no it should not be marketed as an AV replacement at this time.

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As posted above I am not having all these issues. But all clients are Win 10 with Defender with exclusions added. No other 3rd party AV.

I don't doubt that you have no issues and good for you, but that does not help in any ways. My systems does have AV, among other security protections besides MWB. Prior to MWB 3.0, non of the layered protections had issues with each others. They co-existed peacefully, with minor tweaks here and there. MWB just does not like to exists with some of the AVs that you still need...

5 minutes ago, dont_touch_my_buffer said:

MWB just does not like to exists with some of the AVs that you still need...

It is not just the other AV's Many computers are showing system errors that are causing issues but do not affect other programs because of the system level that MB runs in. Upgrades from ver 2 to 3.0 can be buggy as heck thus the need for all the clean installs with MB clean.

Mutual exclusions also can go a long way in helping many issues as well.

Also many on Win 10 are still on the original upgrade from 7/8 and in some cases that causes many issues not just for MB. 

As for the Win 7/8 systems having issues, I can not comment except the above could help them as well.