PC carked it earlier today. Absolutely no ability to browse using Edge or Chrome. I backed up my music files manually as well as manual backup of both \Users\_____ directories and did a Windows "Repair Installation" from DVD from within Windows10. I selected keep settings and files.  This process took several hours to complete with about 3 restarts along the way, but maybe it was required. When it finished I had no mouse or keyboard so I had to turn off and back on. They came back.

My resource traces for CPU and Memory appear to be much better for now. Edge appears to be responding faster and so far has not "Hung" although it is still showing the other errors in Event Viewer.

I am less than happy with my experience with Windows 10 so far.

Is there anything you would like me to do? Or should we just observe for now?

I'm about ready to format and start again if it drops out again.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Please try the following

1. Open a CMD Window as an Administrator on the target server and enter the following commands:

• cd %windir%\system32\
  • lodctr /R
  • cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
  • lodctr /R

Note: This should not affect performance on the machine. This command resyncs the counter values.

2. Open up Regedit and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

3. Make sure that the value (if it exists) for the Disable Performance Counters is not 1.  If the entry does exist and the entry is 1, change it to 0 or delete that entry within the key.  ** PLEASE NOTE ** make sure you contact your system administrator before making changes to the registry, and make sure that you back it up before you delete it.

4. Restart the Windows Management service.

Note: After completing the Microsoft instructions, a reboot is required.

OK. I've done that.

CMD Admin seemed to work as expected. Disable Performance Counters didn't exist. Services\Winmgmt\ start value was still on 2 (Automatic).

Rebooted.

Windows log in screen - no input devices again.  Turned of with power button and back on. Now back in.

Did the logs clear when we reset the counters on Sunday afternoon my time, ie 48 hours ago? I didn't count earlier but there was lots of Event ID 1002 occurrences over the last week to 10 days but now I can only see yesterday and today. There were 8 yesterday and another 4 today, although I haven't been using the computer in the way that causes these hangs to occur, ie using Edge browser. These listed instances are basically just me testing for it.

My user account that is causing these, continues to do so even after I've set it to Standard user type instead of Administrator. This is shown in the top 3 instances in the screen shot.  I can quite easily deliberately cause them now that I now what they are. I'm about to do a Safe Mode startup to see if the system still considers this account to be a Built-in Administrator. If it does Edge won't run in Safe Mode.  I think I'll begin to rebuild after that. Even if I can get the thing to work "properly" using the newly created user account, I can't fully trust it. I worry about backing up and then migrating back to the clean system. I fear that I may just reintroduce the problem back over yet again.  Straight data files aren't a problem but settings for browsers, desktops and email accounts etc worry me.

1002.thumb.png.526417f0d8bea6e8ed8db5bd738fd7a6.png

New user (New) has Admin rights: Can run Edge in normal startup with no hangs under heavy load. (5 tabs, refresh, search, video frame, online shop, news all together for several minutes.)

BUT: not in Safe Mode W/Network.

1/ All Admin accounts now won't run Edge in Safe Mode W/Network. All Admin accounts treated as Built-in Admin in Safe Mode.

2/ Earlier today Donna account definitely ran Edge in Safe Mode. First as Admin then as Standard user. I just swapped account type back to Admin again and now won't.

3/ Actual built-in System Admin account won't run Edge at all in Safe Mode or Normal startup.

4/ All users other than mine (and System Admin) run Edge without hangs.

• Root Admin

Yeah, don't know what to tell you @glivo1 - Edge is a new browser from Microsoft. I don't personally use it as not all sites seem to support it. If you really want to use Edge and it's not working how you want or think it should then you'll probably need to see if you can get further assistance from a dedicated Microsoft support forum or contact Microsoft. The computer does not seem to be infected at this time and whatever is going on with Edge seems to be particular to that browser.

I also think that the thing about any Admin account not running Edge in Safe Mode, and being called as a Built-in Admin, is a bug in Windows. But Donna account definitely did run earlier today. 

I'm about to test that theory out on my son's gaming PC.  There is only 1 account, created when Windows was installed, so it should be set to secondary Administrator. If it is called as a Built-in Admin in Safe Mode we can just call that a Windows bug.

I'll let you know but it is all academic now as I'm going to do a clean start. I've backed up what I want  to put back on later as minimally as I can.

I may be mistaken about Donna Account running Edge in Safe Mode when set to Admin type this morning. (I don't think so but all is pointing to that)

My son's Admin account (created by default during installation and the only account present) won't run Edge in Safe Mode on his PC. It is being called as a Built-in as well. The Built in System Administrator account on his PC is still set to inactive. Could be either a) a Windows 10 bug, b) meant to be that way, or c) a problem with my installation disk.

I'll download a new ISO and create a new one just to be sure.  I'll be off-line now while I remove the partition and reinstall windows so good night for now.  I'll be back tomorrow.

I do really appreciate your being there. I know you don't have to.

• Root Admin

LOL.... Microsoft is HUGE and probably has the largest documentation site in the World. I'm sure it's a monumental task trying to keep up with all their docs and software

But, as said, I use an 8GB USB flash thumb drive for my installs nowadays.

Someone else I'm helping is also having issues with Edge and erroring out. What account and whether in Safe Mode or not seems Edge may crash at least for some users. No obvious good fix for it yet.

I am giving W10 one more try. I have nothing to lose. I'll let you know tomorrow. My USB MEDIA wouldn't work earlier today so I had to go back to my DVD. I suppose there is the possibility that my installation was corrupted. I have never had such a problem getting an O/S on a computer before and I've done hundreds.

Windows 10 is a lucky dip. You never know what your going to get,. Each time I install it there is a different issue. This time it is stuck on updates. They all downloaded but then I get a message telling me there is a problem, but we'll try again later. That's nice isn't it? I haven't tried System Restore again yet. You should see the backdoors being used to fix this issue. Hardly suitable for the average Joe.