Behaving as infected.

glivo1

Run Tweaking:- I noticed this time around that even though All was checked at the top, Checkbox 16 - Unhide non system files was not checked and nor was 34 - Recycle Bin. I checked these manually which I didn't do last time. Also, when it got to the Restart the status bar at the bottom said 48/49 repair jobs. Here is log.

_Windows_Repair_Log.txt

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is definitely worth a shot, Tweaking tool normally fixes the problems happening now.... One last shot is to merge a fresh WMI reg key, see if that will then either be started or will start..?

Download attached file winmgmt.zip unzip to your Desktop so you now have winmgmt.reg double click the reg file, accept any merges or alerts. Re-Boot when complete.... Check in services.msc, any change...?

Winmgmt.zip

No good. That didn't change anything.  Should I go for the last System Restore point that was the most recent before putting Avast on.  We will then have to go back to square 1 and re-do everything we already did, but we had fixed it and it was working before I tried to install Avast. (I think!!!!)

Yep. sounds like a plan. These two Restore Points are identified in the first run with FRST, probably 29-01-2017 is the one to use...

==================== Restore Points =========================

29-01-2017 23:00:18 Windows Backup
30-01-2017 06:16:27 Windows Backup

This one is a backup of all registry hives also identified by FRST, we could use that one but this is done by running frstfix via the recovery environment

LastRegBack: 2017-01-23 00:01

That one is gone.  When we had it going well I asked if I should get rid of the previous backup and do a new one and so I did. I only have the backup form the 30-01-2017.  Also my previously available System Restore Points are gone as well. Nothing before 01-02-2017 after the Avast problem. I don't know why the ones from 29-01-2017 and before have gone.

Arrrggg!!!

Yes, I worked that out yesterday to see when you would be asleep or not.  Don't worry too much about it.  Just frustrating.  I think even the backup done on the 30th was just before I made the initial post but the problem had been evident the day before.  So maybe going back to 24 or 28 will be before there was a problem.. fingers crossed.  I'll see what happens and post for you to review tomorrow.

Sleep well.

Ok, looks bad. Due to backing up on only 250 GB Disks, I had set backup to only store most recent disk image. 115 GB on my C: drive was making backups of over 218 GB including the system image and second backup would not fit so I changed to only keep latest system image. I have 2 of these disks so I was alternating them to keep last 2 backups but, I deleted the one from 29/01/2017 as I assumed it was bad.

It gets worse because for some reason System Restore from the 30/01/2017 failed and no changes were made.  All earlier system images are gone. Do you have any other ideas or am I looking at backing up documents and settings for users and formatting to reinstall Windows.

I would have thought that the Avast installation would have created a Restore Point but it didn't. This is a real PITA since your help prior to that appeared to have cleaned the system.

Edited by glivo1

We still have the full registry back up identified by FRST, probably is a best to run FRST one more to make sure that backup is still there. One other point, you will need a USB flashdrive (memory stick) to run that fix...

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"