Unable to connect the Service

I was using Malwarebytes free edition for a while, then it expired. Tonight, I bought the premium version. When I went to activate it, the app told me that there's a new version available so I installed it (Win10). Now, the program won't run. After I double click the icon, nothing happens for a few seconds, then I get a dialog box that says "Unable to connect the Service". Since it won't run, I couldn't find the version, so I looked at "Programs and Features" in the control panel, and it says "Malwarebytes version 3.0.6.1469".

I've seen the error mentioned a few times in the forum, but I'm not seeing a definitive solution. Getting frustrated.

malwarebytes-error.jpg

Edited by crevier
attached MBAMSERVICE.LOG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello @crevier and :welcome:

Thank you for your report.

1.) Please help to complete all the needed information that may have been initially missed using: How to Report a New Issue.

2.) Please attach (do not compress/copy/paste) the output diagnostic report mb-checkReport.txt from mb-check-{version}.exe

After all the requested data is posted, the Malwarebytes' QA & Developer Teams, and staffers can commence their analysis.  Thank you always for your assistance.

Sorry to interject, but, with respect, how is this a "New Issue"?  I also experienced this error when initially trying MBAM 3.0, and it is still evident after 2.2 prompted me to upgrade to the new version.  This problem has been present since the Beta version of MBAM 3, so MWB must have already received hundreds of diagnostic reports relating to this error, and the problem is still not solved.  How can one more diagnostic report help?

Sadly, MBAM 3 is simply not fit for purpose (just check the forum for the many users having serious problems), and my worry is that support for 2.2 will be withdrawn in the coming months.  If 3.x is still not functioning correctly by then, there will be many license holders being left without a working version of the product they have paid for,.  In my opinion, MBAM should return to Beta until the current problems are sorted out, and support for 2.2 should continue until such time as the new version is actually fit for public release.

I would suggest uninstalling MB, possibly in conjunction with using the MB removal tool mentioned below. After that shutdown computer and boot into windows again, and then install the latest MB again. You will unfortunately lose all settings, exclusion lists etc, but this fixed the issues for me. I suspect that there is some issues with the upgrade process, and as such a full uninstall and a new clean install avoids any issue with the upgrade process (but who knows).

Edited by jayman1000

Thanks for you suggestion.  I've already done the uninstall / MWB Clean thing several times, and it didn't help.  That, however, was with an older version of 3.0, so I suppose I could try it once again.  

The point is though, we shouldn't have to do all this to get the product to work.  They are pushing this upgrade through the 2.2 update service, and it is simply causing too many problems for too many users to be put down to occasional glitches.  They should never have released this version from Beta, let alone be prompting users to upgrade to it, when it is clear that there are still major issues with the upgrade.  

We are also having this same problem on our 2 computers. Went through the ordeal with uninstalling (in Safe Mode!) then reinstalling/configuring the whole thing again, and then when we turn on our computers this morning we get the same old error message that this thread is all about.

We pay for the Premium version, and this is what we get...a nonworking product. :(

I think I will wait for another update or two to appear before going through the whole process again.  I have no faith that an uninstall / clean / reinstall will achieve anything at this time, and we do at least have until June to continue using MBAM 2.2.  I'd like to see an update change log which states that the "Unable to connect the Service" has been acknowledged and finally resolved, before I try upgrading again.

This error is now occurring for me as well after attempting to update today. At the end of the installation I got errors about it not being able to stop a service (it did not specify, so I'd advise the devs to make it do so in the future if they think it will help with error reporting in the event of a similar error cropping up) and now mbam simply refuses to boot and is giving the error mentioned by the OP, leaving me with no real malware protection on my computer. I'm still not even convinced that Discord had any actual malware on their system so as far as I am concerned this is two strikes in the first month of the new year alone. I'm on Win7 btw, so this is not a Win10 problem whatsoever. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Edited by Merik2013

15 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @crevier and :welcome:

Thank you for your report.

1.) Please help to complete all the needed information that may have been initially missed using: How to Report a New Issue.

2.) Please attach (do not compress/copy/paste) the output diagnostic report mb-checkReport.txt from mb-check-{version}.exe

After all the requested data is posted, the Malwarebytes' QA & Developer Teams, and staffers can commence their analysis.  Thank you always for your assistance.

I provided much of what you asked for in my original post. It would help if when the error message pops up, you simply provide all the info there on how to report the problem. I don't know how people are supposed to know that ahead of time. Waiting for me to submit a question with incomplete info, and having you ask me for more, adds wasted time to the process. Here are the questions from your "How to Report a New Issue" post:

1. Brief description of the issue.

See original post.

2. Any screenshot(s) of error messages or other incorrect behavior (not required; include if available).

See original post.

3. If the system crashed, please include the BSOD error message (we will reach out to you for a full memory dump).

See original post. (no crash)

4. Operating System Details (e.g. Windows 7 SP 1 x64, Windows XP SP3 x86, Windows 10 x64 Version 1607 Build 14393.351, etc.).

Windows 10 x64 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)

5. Details on how you encountered the bug and any steps that can be taken to reproduce it.

See original post. Error happens every time.

6. Do you get the same result more than once if you follow the same steps? Y/N

Yes.

7. A copy of the contents of C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs in a ZIP file (attach to post).

Attached to original post.

As for the "mb-checkReport.txt", first of all, it would help if you told me where to look for that. I downloaded and ran "mb-check-3.0.2.1003.exe". It popped up a command prompt window then went away. It didn't mention a report file or anything about saving the results anywhere. So I did a search for "mb-checkReport.txt" and found nothing. But I did find "mb-checkResult.txt". It's not the exact filename that you asked for, but it's pretty close so I hope it's what you need. I've attached it here.

mb-checkResult.txt

Hello @crevier:

Since the system in question appears to still be running MB3 v3.0.5.1299, and before a Malwarebytes staffer picks up your topic, you may wish to consider updating to v3.0.6.1469 using a "clean re-install" process using the steps within MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x and although originally written long ago, the procedure still works well now for MB3.  This update corrects over one-hundred issues.

If you choose to update, please reply to this thread with the status of your system's original issue.

Thank you again.

The "Unable to connect to service" error is not corrected in v3.0.6.1469 - and was not mentioned in the Change Log for this version.  

It's all very well getting users to run around creating reports and uninstalling / re-installing in endless loops, but none of this does anything except waste the user's time.  A Premium product, which we have paid for, should not still have faults in it from when it was in Beta.  When is someone from MWB actually going to address the exact issue posted about in this thread, rather than simply copy and paste generic stock responses?

I am having the same problem. I upgraded to 3.0 yesterday, and when I started the PC today I got this message:

Malwarebytes1.png

After reading the replies here, I tried uninstalling Malwarebytes, but it didn't work, saying it couldn't open C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\unins000.dat. Then I tried mbam-clean, but that didn't work either; I still get the first message when I restart the computer. Only now when I try to uninstall again, I get this:

Malwarebytes2.png

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, version 1607, build 14393.693.

mb-check results: mb-checkResult.txt

service logs: MalwarebytesLogs.zip

I get the same results every time I try to start Malwarebytes or restart the PC.

I really hope you can help!

Kind regards,

Berna

I had the same error when trying to uninstall.  The Clean tool didn't work either.  It immediately asked for a reboot, but didn't actually remove the program.  If you want to uninstall it, I did have success myself by booting into Safe Mode, then uninstalling via Windows.  

Without wishing to seem to be constantly having digs, this is another very bad issue.  The program doesn't work, and the user can't even get rid of it!  The situation is ludicrous.

I have run into this on several computers running Win7 Pro and also running Win10.  The only way I can get MBAM 3.06 to connect is to completely shut down my fSecure anti-virus.  I have tried shutting down the firewall and no luck.  Shutting down my anti-virus allows it to work fine.  I have been running the combination of fSecure and MBAM for years on many computers.  It's just this last update to 3.06 that screwed every computer I have installed it on.

14 minutes ago, Berna said:

Huh, I have F-Secure too. And like CaptainCrash, I want to keep it.

Me as well.  If I have to choose, I'll dump my 70 copies of MBAM before I dump fSecure.  It seems like they didn't test it with fSecure this time.  They have to figure out why fSecure is blocking the new 3.06 version.  I've tried allowing what I felt safe allowing in fSecure but still no joy.

35 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

Me as well.  If I have to choose, I'll dump my 70 copies of MBAM before I dump fSecure.  It seems like they didn't test it with fSecure this time.  They have to figure out why fSecure is blocking the new 3.06 version.  I've tried allowing what I felt safe allowing in fSecure but still no joy.

Same here, I´ll keep F-Secure...no matter what!

According to other threads on the forum, it's not just users of f secure which are having problems. But, last time this happened I did include the whole Malwarebytes folder in the F secure exclusions list, and it did solve the unable to connect issue, but there was still too many other problems for me to keep the latest Malwarebytes version.  Besides, if Malwarebytes is compatible with other software, as is claimed, then it should work anyway without having to add it to exclusions lists.

I frankly have never even heard of f-secure and therefore do not have it, so there's no way it's the source of the issue. Regardless, I just got another update notice and this time it worked properly, so either I got lucky or the devs just pushed out a hotfix.

Edited by Merik2013