Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 Upgrade Harassment

I previously used the Malwarebytes 3.x and was forced to downgrade to Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 due to BSODs and a long list of other issues. My question is how to I stop Malwarebytes 2.x from constantly asking me to upgrade to 3.x. I have absolutely no interest in going back to 3.x, yes I understand you recently released a patch that "fixed" the BSODs, however, they failed to solve the BSOD issue for me. So again, no interest in 3.x. Please just tell me how to block all upgrade dialogs that appear on 2.x.

Appreciate your software and all your help and hopefully we can come to resolve this. Thanks guys!

Hi jamestlarson :)

If I'm not mistaken, there's an option in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 settings to check for program updates when you check for definition updates. Unchecking that setting should solve your issue.

Edit: There it is:

IHxqMkg.png

Edited by Aura

1 minute ago, Aura said:

Probably because the update has already been downloaded, and is now pending install. I don't know where that setting is being controlled. I can investigate tonight if I have time.

That makes sense, no rush. I guess if I find the downloaded package I can simply nuke it?

I didn't have a positive experience with 3.0 and I want to give it more time to mature before I try it again.

You could delete it, yes. What I want to investigate is if there's a key/entry in the Registry which tells Malwarebytes that a software update is pending installation. If there is, simply deleting the file won't do anything, as you would have to modify that key/entry as well.

Maybe @dcollins can assist with that.

Edited by Aura

Just now, Aura said:

You could delete it, yes. What I want to investigate is if there's a key/entry in the Registry which tells Malwarebytes that a software update is pending installation. If there is, simply deleting the file won't do anything, as you would have to modify that key/entry as well.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Edited by mbam4ever

I would not go looking in the registry too much, especially if you are not familiar with editing the registry.  As far as I know there is no registry key that needs to be deleted/changes.  I have simply deleted the install file many times and you will not get prompted to upgrade.

If the file has already been downloaded and waiting to be installed that is why your getting prompted.  I believe you will fine the install file in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Simply go there and delete the install file (it should be the one that ends in .exe)

2 hours ago, Firefox said:

I would not go looking in the registry too much, especially if you are not familiar with editing the registry.  As far as I know there is no registry key that needs to be deleted/changes.  I have simply deleted the install file many times and you will not get prompted to upgrade.

If the file has already been downloaded and waiting to be installed that is why your getting prompted.  I believe you will fine the install file in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Simply go there and delete the install file (it should be the one that ends in .exe)

I have basically the same problem as the OP, with prompts to upgrade every time I log on, although mine doesn't mention that the file has been downloaded like it does in the post above.

I unchecked the 'check for updates box' after the first prompt but I still get prompted.

I don't have a  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  folder but I do have an AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes folder in my standard user profile. It doesn't have any .exe files there, only the Logs and Quarantine folders. (Running Win7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)

If I search my drive I don't find any Malwarebytes folder that has any exe file with a date close to today's date and if I search for mb3-setup* the search comes up empty.

How can we stop this prompt to upgrade?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

(...) I have simply deleted the install file many times and you will not get prompted to upgrade.

LoL that's pure gold. I killed the new installation file once, I'll see how many times it comes back.

As far as toying with the registry... If there's a key that needs some manual tweaking. That's fine with me. I know what I'm doing.

Edited by mbam4ever

Alright so I can't seem to trigger the Malwarebytes 3.0.6 upgrade via Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 in my VM, so let's try something else.

iO3R662.pngFarbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Fix mode
Follow the instructions below to execute a fix on your system using FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Download the right version of FRST for your system:
    • FRST 32-bit
    • FRST 64-bit
      Note: Only the right version will run on your system, the other will throw an error message. So if you don't know what your system's version is, simply download both of them, and the one that works is the one you should be using.
  • Move the executable (FRST.exe or FRST64.exe) on your Desktop;
  • Download the attached fixlist.txt file, and save it on your Desktop (or wherever your FRST.exe/FRST64.exe executable is located);
  • Right-click on the FRST executable and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Click on the Fix button;
    NYA5Cbr.png
  • On completion, a message will come up saying that the fix has been completed and it'll open a log in Notepad;
  • Copy and paste its content in your next reply;

fixlist.txt

14 hours ago, mbam4ever said:

LoL that's pure gold. I killed the new installation file once, I'll see how many times it comes back.

Its not that it keeps coming back, what I meant to say that I have done it on multiple computers

14 hours ago, ggeinec said:

I don't have a  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  folder

The folder C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder you will need to go to your folder options and click on view tab and then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives

1 hour ago, bdubrow said:

Hi daman1--

Upgrades for 2.x versions are going out in a staggered fashion, so it may take some time for all installations to receive the notification.

You can always install the upgrade manually by downloading 3.0.6 directly from this link.  You can install directly over 2.x.

Ok thanks for the info.

19 hours ago, Aura said:

Alright so I can't seem to trigger the Malwarebytes 3.0.6 upgrade via Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 in my VM, so let's try something else.

iO3R662.pngFarbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Fix mode
Follow the instructions below to execute a fix on your system using FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

Thanks for the time you put into this reply. But before I went down this path I decided to try one more thing.

I had been using a third party file manager to look for C:\ProgramData and I wasn't seeing it. I switched to Windows Explorer and there it was. I found mbam-setup.exe with a date of a couple of days ago, deleted it, and after logging off then back on again I no longer get the prompt to upgrade.  :)

Thanks for your help with this!

7 hours ago, Firefox said:

The folder C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder you will need to go to your folder options and click on view tab and then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives

Thanks. Turns out the third party file manager I was using didn't see C:\ProgramData even though it showed other hidden files and folders. I tried Windows Explorer and there it was . . .

On 28/01/2017 at 8:39 PM, jamestlarson said:

I previously used the Malwarebytes 3.x and was forced to downgrade to Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 due to BSODs and a long list of other issues. My question is how to I stop Malwarebytes 2.x from constantly asking me to upgrade to 3.x. I have absolutely no interest in going back to 3.x, yes I understand you recently released a patch that "fixed" the BSODs, however, they failed to solve the BSOD issue for me. So again, no interest in 3.x. Please just tell me how to block all upgrade dialogs that appear on 2.x.

Appreciate your software and all your help and hopefully we can come to resolve this. Thanks guys!

Hi James, how did you revert to 2.2.1, did you download it from a 3rd party or from here? Because I would like to revert as well and I want it from malwarebytes website