Scan within archives settings won't stick

I just upgraded two different 7x64 computers from 2.2.1.1043 to 3.0.6.1469.

Problem is that the 'Scan within archives' setting will not stick when toggled from on to off or vice versa.

And here's some added weirdness... on one machine the 'Scan within archives' setting is stuck on On, and on the other machine it is stuck on Off.

I can easily move the slide indicator from one setting to the other, but upon closing and reopening the GUI dialog, the setting has reverted.

And, as noted above, it is stuck on On on one machine and stuck on Off on the other!

I see no special way of applying setting changes other than closing GUI dialog.

Could use some suggestions, please.  TY 

Hi mynorgeek :)

Since you upgrade both computers to 3.0.6, can you (as a test), uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0.6 from one computer, reinstall it, and see if this time the settings stick?

I wanted to add to my original post.

Above I noted that the, "Problem is that the 'Scan within archives' setting will not stick when toggled from on to off or vice versa".

I discovered that the same is true for BOTH 'Scan Options' settings.  Neither 'Scan for rootkits' or 'Scan within archives' will stick after being changed.

So far as I can tell, all other settings do stick when selected, so the issue exists just with 'Scan Options' settings.  

Malwarebytes Scan Options.jpg

4 hours ago, Aura said:

Hi mynorgeek :)

Since you upgrade both computers to 3.0.6, can you (as a test), uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0.6 from one computer, reinstall it, and see if this time the settings stick?

I followed your suggestion, Aura, and the issue actually got worse.  Now, in addition to the 'Scan Option' settings that would not stick, I have additional settings that are exhibiting the same behavior.  'Usage and Threat Statistics' setting won't stick, nor will the 'Automatic Quarantine' setting.

If it is any help to the devs, I just noticed that these settings actually fail to stick when I change tabs, like from Application tab to Protection tab, then back again.

This happens without closing the GUI dialog.

The inability in 3.0.6 to change settings has made the program unusable to me, unfortunately.  Maybe I should uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.2.  :(

I went back to v2.2.1.1043 on one machine.  Now I can configure it the way I want it and it stays that way.

The second machine still has 3.0.6.1469 on it, and is still having the same issue, but at least it is stuck on settings that are mostly acceptable at this time, and I'll leave it alone in hopes that a fix is released, or someone can advise me as to how to repair.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no clean uninstall tool yet for 3.0.  Hopefully that changes soon.

Okay, I found the solution!  And it is definitely a bug, and replicable.

In the three settings I mentioned, and in fact, in ALL of the settings, if a user SLIDES the setting button from off to on (or vice versa), the setting will not stick.

A user must CLICK the setting button either off or on for it to stick.

What makes this most frustrating is that SLIDING the setting button will APPEAR to have changed the setting, allowing one to think that sliding is an acceptable way of changing a setting.  But it is not!  Only CLICKING will result in a setting change that sticks, or remains.

This was causing me sleeplessness until I discovered that sliding was the culprit.

I invite others to test this out.  I have done so multiple times.  Sliding will appear to have changed the setting, but if you change tabs, then come back, the setting will have reverted.  Only clicking results in an actual setting change

HTH

Edited by mynorgeek