What is the best way to install latest version?

I am using 3.0.5 as shown in the screen capture. Windows 7.  I have looked for exact instructions on the best way to upgrade to 3.0.6 but don't find any.  When I check for updates in MB 3.0.5, it does not recognize that 3.0.6 is available.  It just tells me I am up to date.  Not sure why that does not work, but if there is a specific list of steps here or in support, please just link to it.  Otherwise, I think it would be helpful for many of us less advanced users to know the best steps. 

Should I deactivate license first?

Should I then uninstall 3.0.5 from the Control Panel or in some other way?

Or, is it best to install 3.0.6 over 3.0.5 without first uninstalling?

Any other tips on getting the best, cleanest, install of 3.0.6 would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

MBVersion.JPG

Edited by Will_T
Forgot to attach screenshot

Hi Will_T :)

In my opinion the best way to upgrade to 3.0.6 is to deactivate your current Malwarebytes 3.0.5 installation, uninstall it, then download Malwarebytes 3.0.6 from the link below, install it and re-activate your licence. From 3.0.6 and above, there should be no installation/upgrade issues (well, at least the ones involving mbae64.sys).

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/195049-malwarebytes-306-released/

We are rolling out 3.0.6 updates to 3.0.5 users, but the update notifications are staggered. You should be able to update 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 without any other steps other than running the new installer. However, some users have had issues going from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 so some users are more comfortable uninstalling 3.0.5 and then reinstalling 3.0.6 after that

• Administrators

Hi @Will_T and @vespesian,

You can simply download the newest version (you can get it from here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/195049-malwarebytes-306-released/) and update. Your license will transfer over when you update from your current version.

3 hours ago, Aura said:

In my opinion the best way to upgrade to 3.0.6 is to deactivate your current Malwarebytes 3.0.5 installation, uninstall it, then download Malwarebytes 3.0.6 from the link below, install it and re-activate your licence. From 3.0.6 and above, there should be no installation/upgrade issues (well, at least the ones involving mbae64.sys).

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/195049-malwarebytes-306-released/

What Aura and Dcollins posted above is another option that you can do.

Here's how to update that way:

1. Launch Malwarebytes 3.0
  2. Click My Account
  3. Click Deactivate License
  4. Click Yes in the deactivate license popup
  5. Uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0 via Control Panel
  6. Download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes 3.0. Here's how: https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2615292-how-do-i-install-malwarebytes-3-0-?b_id=15026
  7. Activate Malwarebytes Premium. Here's how: https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2615306-how-do-i-activate-malwarebytes-3-0-?b_id=15026

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Cecile

Edited by celee

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, axkazex93 said:

Just a question... why there is the need of deactivating it before uninstalling instead of just uninstalling it? It will not recognize the license if  you don't deactivate it first?

Some users have ran into activating-related issues. To avoid this, we recommend, whenever possible, to deactivate your license first before transferring your license over to a new computer or when trying to reinstall.

If you are having trouble with your license or with the activation process, please reach out to our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/emails/new?b_id=6400&utm_source=forum 

Thanks,
Cecile

On a Windows 8.1 64-bit OS with the release preview version of MB 3.06:

• Download and install final version of MB over the release preview
  • Neither the Exploit Protection, nor the Web Protection works after installation
  • Uninstall and reboot
  • Install final version and reboot
  • Manually activate license, no problem
  • All protection green

Just yesterday, the system had to be cleaned up with the FRST tool to install the release preview. The system retained the license after cleaning up. Now, unistall/install loosing the license. Consistency does not seem like a strength for this software package...

Now, unistall/install loosing the license. Consistency does not seem like a strength for this software package...

This happen with every kind of software, and it isn't something that was introduced in Malwarebytes 3.0, but was true back in the Malwarebytes 1.75 and 2.x days.

20 minutes ago, Aura said:

This happen with every kind of software, and it isn't something that was introduced in Malwarebytes 3.0, but was true back in the Malwarebytes 1.75 and 2.x days.

Yes, it does, especially in the first version, even if it is called version 3.0  Sort of brings back memories of Windows 3.0, that MS didn't want to name version 1.0 :o;)

28 minutes ago, Aura said:

Actually if my memory serves me right, in version 1.x, you could uninstall your MBAM and the license would stay behind, mainly cause it was stored in the registry.  After you would either re-install 1.x or upgrade to version 2, your copy would already be licensed.  They stopped storing the license info in the registry starting with version 2.

I've read a lot about Version 2, Version 3.0, Version 3.05 and Version 3.06.  Nothing seems to be consistent other than that upgrading to any new version of Malwarebytes is problematic at best.  Uninstall before trying to update?  Don't uninstall before.  Deactivate?  Don't deactivate.  To say that this whole update process has been a mess would be understating the situation.  My problem is similar to everyone's in this topic, but a little different.  I updated and am now sitting at version 3.0.4.1269.  I'm not version 2 any longer and I'm not 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 because information has been conflicting about how to do the update with a chance of success.  Mostly my installation is working, but I still get the tray pop-up screaming at me to update to a new and better version.  I'm afraid to try to update to the newest 3.0.6 because I'm not at all confident it will do anything more than trash my computer and slow things down.  Is Malwarebytes trying to imitate Microsoft's massive blunders with Windows 10, or are we likely to have a Malwarebytes program that actually installs and works in the reasonably near future?  Any suggestions for my particular situation with 3.0.4.1269?  By the way, on the "About" section it says I have Component Package version 1.0.39 and Update Package version 1.0.1108.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, AsianDelicacy said:

information has been conflicting about how to do the update with a chance of success. 

Hi @AsianDelicacy, we recommend people start with a normal upgrade. It's working fine for a large portion of our users, so it may work fine for you. If you come across errors, then we would recommend doing a removal/reinstall.

16 hours ago, AsianDelicacy said:

Mostly my installation is working, but I still get the tray pop-up screaming at me to update to a new and better version.

This is a known issue. There is a problem with the in-app upgrade.

For your issue, please download the latest version manually and install over the top of your current version. You can download the latest version here: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam

This topic kind of went off on its own since I started it, but here is my report back.  It has been a few days and the latest version seems to be working perfectly for me.  I did do a complete uninstall of 3.0.5 after deactivating my license.  When that completed, MB told me several files could not be removed and to do it manually.  So I searched for and removed all MB files and folders I could find.  I then ran a registry cleaner and removed all left over files there.  Then I did a clean install of 3.0.6 and reactivated the license and added back in the exclusions.  So far real time protection starts every time.  The scans complete in a reasonable time with no hanging on heuristics, etc.  Thanks again for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it has been good so far.  Just thought I would update this since there are so many threads where one thing or another is not working for people.  It has been almost a month now since I did the clean install of the latest version on my Windows 7 computer.  I have not had a single issue during that time.  This version has been working so well for me I can't decide what I will do when a new release is put out.  You know the old "if it ain't broke..." quandary!

• celee locked this topic