PUP.Optional.NotChromeRun removal help please

• Root Admin

Please restart the computer first and then run the following steps and post back the logs when ready.

STEP 01
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

STEP 02

adwcleaner_new.png Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on adwcleaner_new.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now.
  • After reboot, logfile will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

Note: Reports will be saved in your system partition, usually at C:\Adwcleaner

STEP 03
Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.

• Double click the icon and select Run
  • Click Next
  • Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice
  • Click Install
  • Click Finish to launch the program
  • Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning
  • If any threats are found click Details, then View Log file (bottom left-hand corner)
  • Copy and paste the results in your reply
  • Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup
  • Click Exit to close the program
  • If no threats were found, please confirm that result.

STEP 04
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your help.  sophos took a couple hours to run and seemed to act as if it had downloaded several copies of the software at once when I tried to initially run it.  It did find one threat.

I will rerun FARBAR and attach to my next post.

THANKS

JRT.txt

AdwCleaner[C0].txt

AdwCleaner[S0].txt

SophosVirusRemovalTool.log

SophosVirusRemovalTool_cloud4.log

• Root Admin

Hi there @hackersbyte

Let me have you run the following, please.

Please visit this web page and read the ComboFix User's Guide:

• Once you've read the article and are ready to use the program you can download it directly from the link below.
  • Important! - Please make sure you save combofix to your desktop and do not run it from your browser
  • Direct download link for: ComboFix.exe
  • Please make sure you disable your security applications before running ComboFix.
  • Once Combofix has completed it will produce and open a log file.  Please be patient as it can take some time to load.
  • Please attach that log file to your next reply.
  • If needed the file can be located here:  C:\combofix.txt
  • NOTE: If you receive the message "illegal operation has been attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", just reboot the computer.

hi.  ComboFix has been running since about 8:45 pm on Monday.  It seems to be "stuck" on a file in the C: drive.  It was almost done but has been in the same place for at least 12+ hours.   The green bar at the top of the box is pulsing but doesn't seem to be making anymore progress.  

Cancel it?  Remove, reinstall and re run???

Thank you

Kris

• Root Admin

Sorry for the delay. So there was no file called COMBOFIX.txt in the root of the C: volume?

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Next

Please visit each of the following sites and let's reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Reset Firefox button.

Chrome

I would like to reset Chrome back to defaults to completely clear out what is going on with Chrome.

You can keep your “Bookmarks” if you want to keep them, but you have to export them first – >> Export Bookmarks << – Everything else should be removed.

Then I need you to go to >> Google Sync << and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the reset sync button and click on the button
At the prompt click on Ok.

Reset Your Browser Settings

1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the “Chrome Menu” icon (Three horizontal lines)
  2. Select Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings…
  4. Scroll down until you see “Reset settings”, Then click on the button Reset Settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.

Close Chrome and restart it and check it out for me please

oh my gravy...When I clicked on TFC, my screen went blank then blue and asked me to restart.  When I did and it rebooted a blue combofix box popped up and said preparing log report.  I waited and nothing was happening so I closed that window.  When I clicked on Chrome I got "Illlegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

C:\ProgramsFiles(x86)\Google\Chrome\application\chrome.exe

Chrome or Chromium no longer show in regular mode.  I tried to open IE and got the same warning.  I rebooted in safe mode with networking so I could post this.  Should I uninstall ComboFix to start?

• Root Admin

I meant that a reboot should remove the message  "Illlegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

If you use Chrome and it's not working then you'll need to download and reinstall it. Please do that and let me know what issues if any you're still having please.

Thanks

Ron

OK.  Thank you.  I was able to run TFC (did not require reboot).  I reset Chrome AND IE (had to reboot after IE reset).

It seems to be operating normally except I am unable to connect via WiFi.  That dropped off around the ComboFix step.

My  network shows in here

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks    under Networks you can view, modify, and reorder (2)

The network I use at home is set to automatically connect but won't.  No networks will display in the icon in the tool bar in the lower right side that shows whether I am connected via Ethernet or WiFi.   It also won't show any available or unavailable networks.  

Do I need to set everything up all over again or is my computer still infected?

• Root Admin

Please create a new System Restore Point before proceeding to the next option.

If you look in this folder:

c:\Qoobox\Quarantine\Registry_backups

You should find a file named: tcpip.reg

Double-Click on that file and allow it to merge in the change. Then restart the computer and let me know if that corrected the network issue for you.