Sorry, too expensive to subscribe

I like Malwarebytes, but find the subscription way too expensive. There use to be a lifetime purchase for around $80 (£65) which worked out well over five years. And only a few years ago, an annual subscription was $24.95 (£20). But now, I have to pay $43 (£35) per year,  $40/yr (£25/yr) over two years, per station! So double these prices for two PCs.

On the other hand, BitDefender Internet Security 2017, which is not too dissimilar, is just $40 (£25) per year, down to $25/yr (£20/yr) over three years, for up to three PCs!

Can I suggest you ask people who have not already subscribed, how much they would be willing to pay? I think the increase in subscribers would more than make up for the decrease in price.

Oooch....I didn't see that before.

- Date de facturation : 23/06/2015 -> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 1 Year Subscription (covers 3 PCs) ->  Total : 19,88 €

- Date de facturation : 23/06/2016 ->  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 1 Year Subscription (covers 3 PCs) -> Total : 25,54 €

Now : Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium -> 3 PC 1 year -> 59,99 €

2 hours ago, Aura said:

The price increase is because Malwarebytes 3.0 now bundles Anti-Exploit (which used to have a Premium version as well) and Anti-Ransomware in my opinion.

That is true, although one can install the Anti-Exploit perpetual beta alongside the free MBAM and have reasonable protection (better than v2 premium offered) at no cost. 

I think BitDefender Internet Security 2017 isn't too bad, and for two PCs, it is going to cost me $75 (£55) for three years (and renewals are even cheaper)

Malwarebytes 3.0 for two PCs will cost me $240 (£190) over the same three years.

My trial runs out in 10 days, but it looks like a no-brainer to me.

48 minutes ago, Telos said:

That is true, although one can install the Anti-Exploit perpetual beta alongside the free MBAM and have reasonable protection (better than v2 premium offered) at no cost. 

Though you won't have real-time protection against malware, ransomware and web threats.

To anyone who reads this if you have a 24.95 subscription the price stays the same as long as you don't let the subscription lapse.

What is the Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium price for existing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit customers?
Existing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit customers will be automatically entitled to a free upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0 and will keep their existing subscription price (typically $24.95) for as long as they keep their subscription active.

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Existing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit customers will be automatically entitled to a free upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0 and will keep their existing subscription price (typically $24.95) for as long as they keep their subscription active.

$24.95 is obviously 40% less than what Malwarebytes want now, and I think the price then reverts to full price.

After a short walk on the wild side while 2 weeks with Malwarebytes 3 I reverted to Anti-Malware 2, which I use now since nearly 3 years. It's running without any problems and it insures an excellent protection. I renewed my license in last December for € 22.95. .

If it will be proven, that there's offered a version of Malwarebytes 3 without severe issues, i will change again from Anti-Malwarebytes 2 to Malwarebytes 3. That's possible with my renewed license. But till yet the last version 3.0.6 doesn't convince me.

Reading now about the new prices of Malwarebytes 3 for new customers,  there's one certainty for me: If the price for Malwarebytes 3 will ever increase over € 35 for me I will not renew my license! In that case I most probably will return to the freeware Spybot S&D.

6 hours ago, GMork said:

After a short walk on the wild side while 2 weeks with Malwarebytes 3 I reverted to Anti-Malware 2, which I use now since nearly 3 years. It's running without any problems and it insures an excellent protection. I renewed my license in last December for € 22.95. .

If it will be proven, that there's offered a version of Malwarebytes 3 without severe issues, i will change again from Anti-Malwarebytes 2 to Malwarebytes 3. That's possible with my renewed license. But till yet the last version 3.0.6 doesn't convince me.

Reading now about the new prices of Malwarebytes 3 for new customers,  there's one certainty for me: If the price for Malwarebytes 3 will ever increase over € 35 for me I will not renew my license! In that case I most probably will return to the freeware Spybot S&D.

Same here, waiting for a usable version. I didn't try the 3.06 but im sure that it will be the same. Or better said, time wasting.

But it's very nice from Malwarebytes that users with existing (lifetime in my case) can use the new one without up pricing. Will be very promising when the new version, with all the new features, will be stable and smooth to use.

It's just that they released it as final already, which it isn't. The issues on the forums reads like the new version being a bad scary movie parody.

Will get it when others do first.

On 22/01/2017 at 3:05 PM, Porthos said:

Just don't let the auto-renewing subscription lapse and you are grandfathered to your current rate.

On the purchase page, if I select the 2-year special offer at $29.99 (£24.99) per year, the small print tells me that the third year will be renewed at $39.99 (£34.99), an INCREASE of 33%. BitDefender Internet Security 2017 rewards loyal customers by offering renewals at a further DISCOUNT of 33%, and can be used on 3 PCs.

So if I stick with my chosen Anti-malware software on two PCs for a decade:

• MalwareBytes: first two years (2PCs) = $74.99, next 8 years (assuming no prices rises) $34.99x8x2 = $559.84. Total over 10 years = $634.83
  • BitDefender IS: first three years (2PCs) = $74.99, next 7 years (assuming no prices rises) = $152. Total over 10 years = $226.99

Although it is not quite comparing like with like, there is a massive difference in cost.

2 hours ago, iantresman said:

On the purchase page, if I select the 2-year special offer at $29.99 (£24.99) per year, the small print tells me that the third year will be renewed at $39.99 (£34.99), an INCREASE of 33%. BitDefender Internet Security 2017 rewards loyal customers by offering renewals at a further DISCOUNT of 33%, and can be used on 3 PCs.

I am referring to Current (before 3.0) subscribers.are locked in as long as they are on auto-billing. If you are NEW to a subscription then yes you pay the new price.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:15 AM, iantresman said:

On the other hand, BitDefender Internet Security 2017, which is not too dissimilar, is just $40 (£25) per year, down to $25/yr (£20/yr) over three years, for up to three PCs!

Maybe I haven't looked at AV software for awhile, but on the surface, Bitdefender is quite dissimilar...

BitDefender Internet Security 2017 does not include  Anti-ransomware, nor does it have memory protection. While BitDefender Total Security 2017 adds the Anti-ransomeware, it does not have memory protection. Malwarebytes 3 has both, in addition to the basic protection of Bitdefender. Provided it is actually working instead of the real time protection being flaky at best that is...

With that said, the  Bitdefender Family Pack 2017 with unlimited license looks enticing for my small business with nine computers; for 3-years at 150 bucks. But I also have a perpetual license for Vipre, no yearly renewal, also unlimited license. Adding the perpetual Beta version of MBAE, that's good enough for my needs.

And yes, three computers do have MB 3.x premium version with grandfathered renewal rate of $24.95. I would not extend MB 3.x premium to six more computers at the 80 bucks per 3 computers per year, for a total of 160 bucks. Even if MB 3.x is not flaky... 

• 2 months later...

Yup - looks like Malwarebytes,MB are going to price themselves out of the market.  Been with them since they started. But the new prices are just far too expensive.  I will be looking elsewhere going forward.  The fact they have bundled in various things, doesn't cut the mustard.  I have 6 machines in the family, all other suppliers had to adjust to a 3 PC licence, once the first supplier adopted that model & hence took market share!  I am sure that MB will climb down when the see the negative growth in new users.  Many of which ONLY LOOK AT THE BOTTOM LINE (Cost).  I used to recommend this to colleagues & friends, with absolute confidence. (typcally 6+ recommendations per year)  At this price they they will just laugh at me - so no more recommendations.  That to me is a significant loss to MB...

I enjoy Malwarebytes a lot! I have lifetime subscriptions on my home PC's and am very happy with it. I have also used it for many years when it comes to malware removal. They definitely have a product well worth paying for. With the pricing the way it is in the USA, $195 gets you 2 years on 10 home computers which is $9.75 per year per machine which I think is very reasonable. In the business world, $300 gets you 1 year on 10 business computers which is $30 per user per year(buying 99 brings it down to $23/y). I think MBAM for business is a hard sell at 2-3x the cost, but home for sure!

If I wasn't a tech guy and I didn't know multi product approaches work best, would I buy Mbam for home? No, I would use free Norton Internet Security that Comcast gives me. Why? Because price. 

Edited by glitchyrichy
clarification

12 minutes ago, iantresman said:

And $9.75 per PC is a great price. Here in the UK, the price is $40/yr over two years per PC. I've already moved on.

It is discounted if you have more than one PC. For example 3 computers is 59.99 yr 20.00 per computer. 25% discount for for 2 year sub. 89.99 for 3 computers 2 years.

Edited by Porthos

On 1/21/2017 at 6:15 AM, iantresman said:

Anti-Virus company's offerings do not protect from the things MB does.There are also things that the AV targets that MB does not.  It is an easy sale when you scan a clients computer that has "insert name" AV and is standing in my shop because they are infected and you start a scan in front of them and the threat counter starts increasing. and they say but...I had my anti-virus what happened.

On 1/21/2017 at 6:15 AM, iantresman said:

BitDefender Internet Security 2017, which is not too dissimilar,

Night and day in terms of technology. There is no comparison. Layered protection still is the key.

2 hours ago, glitchyrichy said:

If I wasn't a tech guy and I didn't know multi product approaches work best, would I buy Mbam for home? No, I would use free Norton Internet Security that Comcast gives me. Why? Because price. 

Use the free AV of your choice and back it up with Malwarebytes.

I have not had any issue renewing my customers subscriptions even with the price change. Why? Because they have not had any issues with malware since I first sold the first year after there initial clean up.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, iantresman said:

My trial runs out in 10 days, but it looks like a no-brainer to me.

You probably were not intending to purchase in the first place even if the price was lower because you don't see the need for it in the first place.

Lucky for people like you there will always be a free version for you to clean up what your AV missed without asking for money before it cleans.

48 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Night and day in terms of technology. There is no comparison

For the time being , BitDefender has 100% detection rate on Jan and Feb @ AVTest and 100% detection rate @ AV Comparative (Feb).

That means it did not miss anything...

Where is MBAM v3, in ANY test at your choice?????

30 minutes ago, lock said:

Where is MBAM v3, in ANY test at your choice?????

I am not going to start another debate. Malware is not on those tests BECAUSE no matter HOW it is currently 'marketed" on the main site it is NOT an actual Antivirus.

Malwarebytes 3.0 is not an actual antivirus and we have never said that it was.

Edited by Porthos