• Staff

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.5 is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.8. You will need to downgrade to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.4.

Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.5 by opening the program, then choosing the Uninstall option from the Help menu. Once it has been uninstalled, you can download and install the previous version (1.2.4) from here:

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same issue. I have a Mac Pro mid 2010, OS Sierra 10.12.3, and Malwarebytes version 1.2.5.715. I was on Yosemite until Apple Support said the hang up was due to that OS, but after the upgrade to Sierra and a fresh install of Malwarebytes its still hanging on OSX .VSearch. I got searchitdown on my system which is hijacking my browser. Apple support said Malwarebytes could get this off my system but so far no luck. Help!

• Staff

Cancel the scan. (If necessary, force-quit the app by pressing command-option-esc.)

Then, check for updates by opening the app and choosing Check for Updates from the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware menu. There is a version 1.2.6 update, which was just released today, that should fix this problem.

Okay, checking for updates did allow Malware to complete a scan. I deleted all files that it brought up as threats. Then restarted my system and ran a Malware scan again. Then opened Safari, in which hijacking pop-up sites immediately told me I had a virus and needed to start downloading additional programs. I closed Safari then reopened in Safe Mode, reset the browser homepage and cleared the history. It appears to be working correctly now when not in Safe Mode on my last few tests.

I opened Firefox and got no hijacking pop-up sites. However, searchitdown continues to show up as a search option. I uninstalled Firefox, and then reinstalled Firefox, cleared the history, and also Restored to Default in Firefox Preferences. It stills shows up (see below), and highlighting it and hitting the Remove button does nothing. So Firefox appears to be working correctly but it doesn't look like searchitdown is completely removed. Is there something else I can do to get rid of this thing? I don't trust my system with it still existing somewhere.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 5.04.35 PM.png

• Staff

The site that was telling you that you were infected with a virus was not actually malware, it was just a scam website. For more information about this kind of thing, see:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

Regarding Firefox, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac does not attempt to make any changes to browser settings, so you will need to remove the "searchitdown" item from that list manually. Simply select it and click the Remove button, or click the Restore Default Search Engines button to reset those settings to their defaults.

• Staff

In some cases, we have seen adware that modifies the Firefox application or its settings in ways that are not easily reversible.

Try deleting the Firefox app itself and download a fresh copy. If that doesn't work, you'll need to delete your Firefox settings. I can step you through that if that turns out to be necessary, but try replacing the Firefox app first. That's a far easier fix, if it works.

I uninstalled Firefox again, empty trash, restarted system and then installed a fresh copy of Firefox for the second time. The searchitdown was still present. I found this link to Refresh Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings - followed the instructions and finally achieved success! Searchitdown now no longer appears in the search preferences page above.

Thanks for your help, Treed. I was out of my depth in getting this thing cleaned off my system.