Unable to re-install MBAM

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 on my home Dell XPS laptop after re-configuring the pc a few days ago following a disk failure. All has been running fine for a few days and I installed MBAM version 3 a couple of days ago and decided to run a scan earlier today. When I tried to open MBAM (for the first time since it was installed) I got an error message that said something like Service error unable to start Malwarebytes Antimalware. I thought I would try to resolve this by uninstalling and re-installing the software and uninstalled using 'Uninstall a Program' but when I tried to re-install I got an error message, as follows:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mbae64.sys

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file: DeleteFile failed: code 5 Access is denied

Click Retry to try again, ignore to skip this file (not recommended) or abort to cancel the installation. ‘

So, I aborted the re-install and followed this process:

1. Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers
  2. Find mbae64.sys, right click and select rename, and change it to mbae64.old
  3. Now try to install new Malwarebytes, it will be installed without any issues

But, when I tried to rename the file in step 2 I got a message that I need administrator permission to rename this file. I was logged on to my system with my user account that has administrator rights so I am not sure what to do.

Please would somebody be able to help me resolve this so I can re-install Malwarrebytes ?

Thanks, Steve

I ran the MBAM cleanup tool from xxxx link removed xxxx  and then re-installed Malwarebytes 3.0 successfully.

After this I re-booted my pc and tried to delete mbae64.old but got a message that the file is in use ! Can anyone help with this please ?

Post updated [02/12/2021 - AdvancedSetup]

The following MBST tool should be used to perform a clean removal and reinstall

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Hi Deano :)

This looks like a known issue from what I've seen so far. Start by uninstalling Malwarebytes 3.0, and once done, follow dcollins' instructions in the post below (the FRST fix).

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191353-cannot-delete-mbae64sys/?do=findComment&comment=1086379

Once done, restart your computer and try to install Malwarebytes 3.0 again.

Hi Aura,

After I posted my original question I then posted an update to say that I ran the MBAM cleanup tool from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean and then re-installed Malwarebytes 3.0 successfully.

After this I re-booted my pc and tried to delete mbae64.old but got a message that the file is in use. I asked if anyone could help with this but I have just tried again to delete the old file and it worked ok.

No further issues with MBAM. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Deano