BSOD, etc.

tqh

Hello MB Forum,

I recently hit my power supply on/off switch (accidentally) on my machine running Windows XP.  When I tried to reboot, I encountered a screen I have never seen before.  It was similar to the screen encountered when booting in safe mode, but this one included "return to previous configuration" or something like that.  I am using another computer to post and don't want to try and reboot the problematic machine.  It kept cycling back and forth between this screen and the regular boot process.  Finally, I got a BSOD and then decided I might want to stop and post on this forum.  Is there something I can do to get a proper boot?  I tried hitting F8 and running in safe mode - that didn't work.  Nothing works.  Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tqh

Was able to successfully run memtest86+.  Showed no errors, but only ran it once. Ran the hard drive test and found no errors as well.  Had trouble finding the right one, but was able to get the boot cd running and found no errors.  Since I can't run anything in windows, should I run any other tests?

Let me say this, the only way I get the BSOD is if I run windows recovery console.  Otherwise, it just keeps cycling as if it is going to boot properly, but never does.

I appreciate the help.

EDIT: Just noticed that the log states, not able to get smart data.  Before that it states, smart is supported but is disabled.

Edited by tqh

Did you run the long/extended hard drive test?

There's not much else to do here. Do you have another hard drive that you can try in it's place?
If so, install the hard drive (using proper anti-static precautions), then install XP on that to see if it works properly.

If you can't try that (or just don't want to)  I would suggest attempting to backup your data
Then try a repair install of Windows:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest a format/reinstall of Windows.

It ran a long and short test by default.  What do you think happened?  Is it possible to plug this hard drive into a newer or older machine to recover the data?  I have most of the stuff on there backed up.  I actually can't think of anything on there that I don't have on another device, but want to make sure.  I also don't have an XP disc.  This computer is pretty old.

Thanks

Edited by tqh

Most likely the OS was in the middle of writing something to disk when the power was interrupted.
That hosed the OS.

The easiest thing to do is to slave the HDD to another system.
Then see if you can see the stuff on the drive (and then copy it if that's the case).

If you can't see it, then try this data recovery software:  http://www.runtime.org
It is free to see what can be recovered - then you'll have to pay to actually recover anything.
There are other recovery tools out there, but I found this to be the easiest and most reliable for my needs (I did this several years ago - no idea how the market has changed since then).

I don't have any idea of how to legally obtain an XP disk - except maybe eBay?

Installing the OS without overwriting data is tricky - and for W7 you have to be in Windows to do it.

I would use a Live Linux distro, or the Ultimzte Boot CD to copy the data to an external device.

Then see what you can do to install a legal copy of Windows