IrishBandit

Discord CDNs

We are currently blocking cdn[.]discordapp[.]com as we have identified a malicious file on there. 

Edited by Zynthesist

I have this as well and just wanted to ask a few questions:

1) Do we know what the malicious file is and why there's a malicious file there? 

2) How did it get there, was it to do with the new update?

3) Is there a plan to resolve it or will Malware bytes keep blocking it?

1 minute ago, Phobos_Anomaly said:

I guess it's all up to the Discord team. MWB just prevents bad stuff.

Guess so, it looks like it updated on the 11th (Yesterday for me). Hope it gets sorted out 'cause I'm getting spammed whenever a message is sent on Discord.

Hi, I run a Discord server, and was curious if I should discourage use until this is resolved?  Or can somebody confirm this as a false positive.

Edited by Biggerboot

Zynthesist says it's real, but i can use Discord for chat just fine. But if someone tries to send me print screens I can't open them because MWB blocks the links.

Just an update: CDNs are still blocked as of 9:30 est. App runs fine in spite of it, Website Blocked just bounces up and down like a kid on a sugar rush. Discord Twitter hasn't said what the problem is, just that they're working with MWB.

Great to hear MBAM and Discord are both already on the case. As of 13:33 PST (GMT-8) hours, cdn.discordapp.com is still being blocked. But I'm sure it'll be resolved soon. :)

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

Great to hear MBAM and Discord are both already on the case. As of 13:33 PST (GMT-8) hours, cdn.discordapp.com is still being blocked. But I'm sure it'll be resolved soon. :)

You can whitelist the IP as it's a false positive (I asked the Discord team myself on Facebook).

On 1/12/2017 at 6:19 PM, OntoKermitt said:

I have this as well and just wanted to ask a few questions:

1) Do we know what the malicious file is and why there's a malicious file there? 

2) How did it get there, was it to do with the new update?

3) Is there a plan to resolve it or will Malware bytes keep blocking it?

1) If Discord haven't properly locked down their servers then anyone could upload any number of exploitable files.

2) A user uploaded it.

3) Malwarebytes only blocks sites while it's a threat, if Discord get a grip, then they'll be unblocked.

10 hours ago, Phobos_Anomaly said:

You can whitelist the IP as it's a false positive (I asked the Discord team myself on Facebook).

I would not do that. It doing it for a reason not a false alarm that why they been looking into it with discord

4 hours ago, Gungongar said:

I would not do that. It doing it for a reason not a false alarm that why they been looking into it with discord

I actually removed it from the whitelist again but never bothered to edit or double post.

Having the same issue, Canadian servers only I am guessing?

BUT I have had another surprise, sometimes it seems after it is detected my Malware protection is shut off? I am using the computer app and not the website. I tried with the website, and when detected, it shut down the Malice website protection. This did not happen every time, nor is it easy to replicate. Yet it has happened a few times (mostly on the desktop app than website version as I do not use that as often)

Has anyone esle had this happen? if so we should make it be know... if not, then it could be something else my end...but it ONLY happens with Discord....

17 minutes ago, Mishlof said:

BUT I have had another surprise, sometimes it seems after it is detected my Malware protection is shut off? I am using the computer app and not the website. I tried with the website, and when detected, it shut down the Malice website protection. This did not happen every time, nor is it easy to replicate. Yet it has happened a few times (mostly on the desktop app than website version as I do not use that as often)

Has anyone esle had this happen? if so we should make it be know... if not, then it could be something else my end...but it ONLY happens with Discord....

Might want to check your event viewer for error logs, see what it's reporting.

Any word from Malwarebytes yet? Last post from them was posted Thursday at 05:55 PM of this week.Its pretty annoying if it is nothing but if it is something, Discord really needs to work it out with Malwarebytes. Love using both programs but little things like changing my profile picture is not working because of this. Some post in the chat of links, like from youtube, are not coming through because of this.

2 hours ago, Mishlof said:

CDN servers are part of Content Delivery Networks. It has nothing to do with Canada :)

Although there are Canadian CDNs, but that's outside the scope of the intended question.

Edited by SpacePickle

2 hours ago, Nate-Dogg said:

Might want to check your event viewer for error logs, see what it's reporting.

here is the file System was online at 11;17 and between that and 1:08 the Malware protection was shut off yet nothing says that besides two starting up malware protection. TXT file included below

59 minutes ago, SpacePickle said:

CDN servers are part of Content Delivery Networks. It has nothing to do with Canada :)

Although there are Canadian CDNs, but that's outside the scope of the intended question.

I kinda feel like a idiot. but thank you.

mal.txt

Edited by Mishlof

Looks like Discord has resolved the malware on their servers and as of v2017.01.04.06 you no longer get warned about CDN.DiscordApp.com

Edited by Nate-Dogg

22 minutes ago, Nate-Dogg said:

Looks like Discord has resolved the malware on their servers and as of v2017.01.04.06 you no longer get warned about CDN.DiscordApp.com

As far as I can tell, this isn't true. my definitions are up to date and I'm still getting warnings. In fact, it sounds to me like you aren't up to date. The latest definitions were released today, on the 14th. The ones you name appear to be 10 days old.

Edited by Merik2013