GPU direct x compatibility tool and 0x116 BSOD Help

Is there a tool to check a GPU for direct X compatibility I have looked on line but cannot find anything and the manufactures web site but can't find any thing recent that gives me info.

(NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT) pretty old card which is why I assume it's a direct x issue with the dmp file below.

I want to check it because it keeps resetting I don't really know how to read a dump file but from what I can see it may be a direct x issue so I may dial it back if I can find which one.

This is it please correct me if i am wrong about the cause. many thanks

Paul

==================================================
Dump File         : 011117-38890-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 11/01/2017 14:45:41
Bug Check String  : 
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
Parameter 1       : ffff9586`b0cd5010
Parameter 2       : fffff80e`ee093400
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`0000000d
Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+16ba88
File Description  : DirectX Graphics Kernel
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 10.0.14393.576 (rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\011117-38890-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 14393
Dump File Size    : 737,300
Dump File Time    : 11/01/2017 14:49:19
==================================================

Edited by AlexSmith

@PaulAllen, you can run dxdiag.exe from within Windows if you want to diagnose DirectX related issues.

As far as external resources go for checking compatibility, usually the MFGs website will have detailed specifications on their products. You mentioned you couldn't find anything, but I found the following: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt

According to that, it is designed to support features of DirectX 10. So it's compatible with DirectX.

Frankly, anything not compatibly with DirectX would have to be GPU that 16+ years old.

@ David and Alex

I just installed the latest driver 342.01 again and have discovered that the gpu may only be able to handle to dx 10 there is nothing that says directly this in a sure way just  hinting at it.

I typed run then dxdiag and all says its fine, but the random bsod tell me otherwise and the internet has a few people with the same issue who have updated to windows ten none who have a fix. Some other sites hinted that it makes the cpu run way to much as well and I am seeing this but randomly some days nothing others crash after crash lol

I have one more question where can I safely get direct x 10 from I have googled but cannot find it apart from sites I know nothing about. Microsoft says it will update automatically  but installs the wrong dx 12 for my card.

Thank you both :)

I got the computer 2nd hand the receipt is 12 years old from the previous owner dates back 12 years with some minor new bits of hardware inside.

@Dave That's a great tool  thanks made me laugh says about my card Product status : End of life lol

Edited by PaulAllen
update

5 minutes ago, PaulAllen said:

I just installed the latest driver 342.01 again and have discovered that the gpu may only be able to handle to dx 10 there is nothing that says directly this in a sure way just  hinting at it.

YOu can see what capabilities are support via DXDiag. Check the Display and Render tabs and there should be fields under the Drivers section that will list which feature levels are supported.

I typed run then dxdiag and all says its fine, but the random bsod tell me otherwise and the internet has a few people with the same issue who have updated to windows ten none who have a fix. Some other sites hinted that it makes the cpu run way to much as well and I am seeing this but randomly some days nothing others crash after crash lol

Those may or may not be related and could simply be similar issues. BSODs can be caused by a metric ton of things with most of them being caused by faulty drivers or software or in some cases faulty hardware that said driver or software interacts with.

Does the BSOD occur for you totally at random (e.g. sometimes when idle, sometimes when doing X, etc.) or does it commonly occur doing specific tasks or while running specific apps? Also, do you have links you can share around the other people reporting the same issue?

I have one more question where can I safely get direct x 10 from I have googled but cannot find it apart from sites I know nothing about. Microsoft says it will update automatically  but installs the wrong dx 12 for my card.

DirectX support is built in to Windows 10. The Version of DirectX is 12 that comes with Windows 10 and provides support for all the way back to DirectX 9. So you don't need to download anything.

Thank you both :)

No problem. Always glad to help.

I got the computer 2nd hand the receipt is 12 years old from the previous owner dates back 12 years with some minor new bits of hardware inside.

This may or may not mean your issue is related to old hardware that is starting to fail. Just keep that in mind.

As AlexSmith has indicated, there are a plethora of reasons for the problems,  If you have the latest video drivers and software then it may be a dependency that is causing the issue and subsequent NT OS Kernel.

Please take advantages of the services provided in;   BSOD, Crashes, Kernel Debugging

22 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

Does the BSOD occur for you totally at random (e.g. sometimes when idle, sometimes when doing X, etc.) or does it commonly occur doing specific tasks or while running specific apps? Also, do you have links you can share around the other people reporting the same issue?

It is totally random when doing nothing and can be doing anything and it will crash some days it is totally fine not one crash others its bad like today one every hour or so.

It was fine till I upgraded to windows 10 from vista so I know vista is and didn't crash.

25 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

Also, do you have links you can share around the other people reporting the same issue?

I looked under the bsod listed problem name -  windows 10 TDR failiure (nvlddmkm.sys) 

There are so many I wont list them all

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-videotdrfailure-nvlddmkmsys-video-tdr/1719728a-e5dd-4d5f-93e2-e3497e193aad

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/continuous-bsod-video-tdr-failure-nvlddmkm-sys.1555/

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/71521-bsod-video-tdr-failure-nvlddmkm-sys.html

Thank you

26 minutes ago, PaulAllen said:

It is totally random when doing nothing and can be doing anything and it will crash some days it is totally fine not one crash others its bad like today one every hour or so.

It was fine till I upgraded to windows 10 from vista so I know vista is and didn't crash.

That would seem to indicate to me it's less likely to be failing hardware since things worked fine before moving to Windows 10, but keep in mind it doesn't rule it out 100%. It could be another piece of hardware on your system is failing or has some sort of compatibility issue that is causing things to fail on the GPU side of your PC.

26 minutes ago, PaulAllen said:

Just a technical FYI, those are not the same issue as what you have posted about so far. Those are similar issues. It's only similar because it is the same BSOD code (0x116), occurs randomly (common BSOD symptom to be honest), but the faulting driver in your case is the DirectX kernel mode driver and not the GPU display driver that is called out in those threads. So this would seem to indicate you have a different root cause which in turn means a different solution. The overall theme of those threads seem to point to buggy drivers with legacy/older NVIDIA hardware and in some cases conflicts with other drivers for legacy/older hardware on the system.

45 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

As AlexSmith has indicated, there are a plethora of reasons for the problems,  If you have the latest video drivers and software then it may be a dependency that is causing the issue and subsequent NT OS Kernel.

Please take advantages of the services provided in;   BSOD, Crashes, Kernel Debugging

I agree with David on this. I am moving this thread so it can get the proper attention from that area of our forums. I am also going to clarify things a bit by adding a call out about the BSOD to the tile of this thread.

Edited by AlexSmith

Here are the appropriate files all zipped as requested and the info you asked for.

I have also done the ram test and it was good no problems.

windows 10 - os now ( it has also had various flavors of linux and windows 7 on it each time a clean new install)
64 bit
Vista 32bit - origanal Os
Oem  from a windows 7 disk I had spare.
The system is about 12 years apart from the power (3 years), graphics (5 years)  and hdd (about 2 weeks old)
Mesh pcs
Not sure of exact model number as it is to old to be listed and only has mesh written on it.
Desktop

cpu = intel quad core cpu Q 6600 @ 2.4ghz
GPU = Nvidia GeForce 9600 gt
Ram = 4gb of standard ddr2 ram
Mb = ASUSTeK P5N-E SLI (Socket 775)    
Powersuply = Hec -550TD -PTE
HDD = Seagate ST332031 0CS SCSI

SysnativeFileCollectionApp (2).zip

UPDATE:   I now have noticed if I stress the PC with a gpu intensive game it gets very laggy and the oranges light goes on constantly and normally bsod's, but also sometimes the textures in the game come up plain red and do not render properly and at boot up I get strange colours like the zx spectrum 48Ks old loading screens when loading something from tape, would this indicate the gpu?

Thank you :)