MB Mobile, Charging Display Samsung Phone Overheat?

Have Malwarebytes Mobile v2.1.1.16 on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (about 18 months old) with Android v5.1.1.  (I am a paid subscriber of your PC MB products).  Before installing the MB Mobile app, on my phone I had Settings icons, Developer Options turned on, and Stay Awake checked so when the phone is charging the home screen with icons is dimmed.  Malwarebytes Mobile as part of its security settings considers Development mode On as an insecure setting.   So I turned Development Options Off to make Malwarebytes Mobile happy.  So when the phone is charging with this setting, a bright multicolored screen appears using more battery juice when charging and causes the phone to overheat to 95 degrees plus, with phone message on screen when unplugged it from charger (happened more than once) says it is cooling down and is hot and shutting down some background apps and the bottom of phone in a case felt quite warm.  Another higher end model of Samsung phones was recalled in the fall, but not this phone.  Over weeks of troubleshooting since Thanksgiving and have not had the problem since before Christmas when turned Developer Options back On with Stay Awake checked, I have not had the overheating problem.  I have an app Cooler Master monitoring the phone's temperature.  In my troubleshooting considering myself moderate to high tech minded, I replaced the battery with a new one (fortunately phone had removable battery), shut down the phone and removed the battery for a couple minutes and put it back in and started phone back up, and dimmed the display to about 60% (not big deal right now outside with low winter sunlight), but nothing really worked until changed the Developer Options Stay Awake setting back On which Malwarebytes Mobile does not like.  I am looking to replace this phone within the next month not with Samsung (for safety cautious, not charging it overnight while sleeping), but posting here in case anyone else having this problem Malwarebytes Mobile with a Samsung as a possible, maybe not only the one, cause of phone overheating.

• Administrators

Hi @spurkza,

From our mobile developer: "We suggest you disable developer settings, keep it awake and also delete cooler master app. Leave it on charger and afterwards try to see by touch if the device is heating up or not. Developer option is not something that can actually heat up your phone. We are thinking it's probably cooler master heats up the phone constantly checking the temperature of the device, while it's charging. Malwarebytes can only heat up your phone if we are constantly running scan. We are asking to disable developer option because it allow bad guys to more bad things easier."

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Cecile

Thanks celee for your insights.  The overheating while charging issue started when only had Malwarebytes Mobile on the phone.  I only added CoolMaster later for monitoring, and I do not leave it constantly running closing the app when on occasion check the temperature.  Should emphasize from my original post - the phone is charging with the Developer Mode Off setting, a bright multicolored screen appears using more battery juice when charging (similar concept as when trying to talk on the phone while it is charging which rarely do, but this also causes a phone to heat up).  If there is some way MB Mobile can run withe Developer Mode Off with my home screen icons dimmed instead of having the bright multicolored screen while charged, I believe my issue will be solved.

• Administrators

Hi @spurkza, can you provide us with screenshots of that bright multicolored screen?

Also, our devs suggestion you should go to developers mode and disable "stay awake" function so the screen would just turned off when it's charging and you can manually change brightness by going to settings > display and change it to what you would like.