Downgrade product

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Please run the following and let's see if it can fix a couple items for you.

Please visit this web page and read the ComboFix User's Guide:

• Once you've read the article and are ready to use the program you can download it directly from the link below.
  • Important! - Please make sure you save combofix to your desktop and do not run it from your browser
  • Direct download link for: ComboFix.exe
  • Please make sure you disable your security applications before running ComboFix.
  • Once Combofix has completed it will produce and open a log file.  Please be patient as it can take some time to load.
  • Please attach that log file to your next reply.
  • If needed the file can be located here:  C:\combofix.txt
  • NOTE: If you receive the message "illegal operation has been attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", just reboot the computer.

• Root Admin

Please download the correct version of SystemLook for your computer and save it to your desktop.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

SystemLook 32-bit x86 | or | SystemLook 64-bit x64

• If using Windows XP just double click on SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • For all other versions of Windows, right click over SystemLook.exe or SystemLook_x64.exe and choose Run as administrator to run it
  • Copy the contents of the following code box into the main text field - including the colon characters.
  • Copy the contents of the following code box into the main text field - including the colon characters.
    :filefind
    *itune*.lnk

• Click the Look button to start the scan

• When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

• Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop named SystemLook.txt

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Well, I'm not a big fan of this approach but it may be able to help fix the issue for you. Please make a new System Restore point and then run the Tweaking Repair Windows tool and run it to see if it can fix the issues for you.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Root Admin

I've used it before and a lot of people do use it. All it does is run a bunch of built-in processes to attempt to restore many features back to their default state in Windows. Any tool always poses some type of risk but overall its been run thousands of times on user systems with no real harm associated.

Re: Tweaking.com

I would err on the side of caution. Reading their recent forum posts over the past 2 weeks would concern me...

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/board,2.0.html

For example:

• Ran repairs now PC won't reboot at all
  • Long Start Delay and Crash on first run for day
  • Power failure during repair: Laptop not booting
  • Windows Repair Free completed now slow Laptop
  • New Windows repair won't run
  • New version Registry Backup says VSS not running, old version works fine (XP)
  • errors after using windows repair

If your PC is otherwise running fine, I would take a pass unless you had a full drive image to restore.  There's enough excitement here w/v3. I wouldn't add to that.

• Root Admin

Always going to find issues with any program like this @Telos - doesn't mean it's a bad program. Most users seek out programs like this as they're already at their wits ends trying to fix an issue. I certainly do not recommend it as a general tool to run. However since the user is experiencing some program and possible security issues that do not seem to have an immediate fix, then perhaps a tool like this might be able to help. If it were my own personal computer and I was unable to correct these issues within a couple of days, I'd format my drive and reinstall Windows, but not everyone is up for that.

Malwarebytes is running fine for the user at this time. His issue is that the Windows installer is not operating properly even with some fixes run. Tests show that files that are not blocked for removal are blocked by the installer engine.

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

Edited by AdvancedSetup

Add me to the list of people forced to downgrade back to version 2. Ver 3 made my Win10 (from Win7) rig unresponsive, added a couple of minutes to the boot time and interfered with Firefox and MS Office. Back to ver 2 now and all is well again.

Looks like you've got some major reworking to do before this becomes as trouble-free as ver 2 was. I really hope you get it sorted and continue to supply updates for ver 2 until such time you get ver 3 working!