Should I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, then?

Given that this is a known issue: "Microsoft Security Essentials running alongside Malwarebytes 3.0 might cause system lockdowns under Windows 7 due to a buggy Microsoft update.", should I just uninstall MSE?  But then how do I get Windows 7 to recognize Malwarebytes 3.0.5 Premium (installed over a previous 2.2.x lifetime Pro license) as an anti-virus replacement so that it doesn't bug me about it?

BTW, something seems to have changed even before I upgraded to 3.0.x because for about the last month or so I'm getting hangs of Windows that last for minutes on end. Was it due to the "buggy Microsoft update" of the MSE program itself (there seems to have been one in late November).

Don't know if this is the result of the problem with MSE I did a full threat scan with MWB 3.0.5 which came up clean, but during the scan would cause Windows 7 x64 to become pretty much completely unresponsive.  Also it would seem to get stuck on a particular file for a couple of minutes, but per Task Manager it wouldn't be using any CPU at all.  Finally, at the end, the MWB icon in the task bar would not go away, even after dismissing the window to the system tray.

Short of an uninstall of MSE, will telling it to ignore Malwarebytes processes resolve the freezing problems?

3 minutes ago, Papageno said:

Just today I've had multi-minute freezeups of Windows 7.  Going to see if they go away without MWB.  I still have MSE.

There is a current issue with Win 7 and MSE. You can either uninstall MSE and replace with MB or wait till the issue is fixed down the road.

Thanks for the reply, Porthos.  Is it something that the MSE client is doing that it didn't do before (in other words, the fault of Microsoft)?  Because I've been having strange problems since the last days of November, when I was still using MwB 2.2.x.  I was really hoping that upgrading to 3 would fix things, but no joy.

I had several issues with versions 3.0x of Malwarebytes and MSE.  First was the shut down issue with Windows 7 which was easy to work around and secondly was the annoying protection off pop ups.  With version 3.05 I had also noticed on boot up that some applications in the Sys Tray took longer to load.  Over time my system also seemed to develop what I would call mini lags during use which I eventually associated with those darn pop ups soon to appear on screen.  I finally said enough to the beta testing and did a clean install of Malwarebytes back to version 2.2.1..  Best decision I made.  I wasn't totally aware of the performance hit that buggy version 3.xx of Malwarebytes was causing until I revert back.  Now my desktop is back to it old responsive self.   Papgeno I recommend you do the same.  In your situation a clean install of version 2.2.x may correct the previous issues you were experiencing before the version 3.xx upgrade.     

Q: Is the problem with MSE or MB? 
A: My answer is the problem is with MB - MSE did not change, MB came out with new version that freezes the computer if MSE, unchanged, exists. MB acknowledges the problem, and promises that it will be fixed at some unknown time in the future by a change to the MB software.

Anyone who suggests that an alternative is to uninstall MSE and just use MB, in my opinion is giving you bad advice: this new MB software has many many many more bugs and I think it would be unwise to rely on it to be your only source of protection against malware, viruses, etc. I could be wrong about which is better, and could imagine there are real-world scenarios where either one would provide protection/prevention the other does not. Which is why I think the best choice may be to go back to the V2.x version of MB until V3 is fxied.

The original issue that was posted by MB about MSE and MB related to a MS security patch was fixed my MS, so the remaining/new issues isolated to MB3 are different from that old, stickied post (that probably should be un-stickied & updated to reflect that issue was resolved).

I have kept MB 3.05 on a PC and every day experience issues. Startup in particular. Especially if a scheduled scan is run at or near computer startup. Computer freezes, real-time protection turned off (I believe that's related to scheduled scan past schedule so runs at startup), and can't be turned on.... System freezes. System slowdowns....

3 minutes ago, Papageno said:

Thanks rgam, I'll look around for a download of the earlier version.  Maybe a clean install of that will work, although as I mentioned above I started having problems well before I upgraded to 3.0.x.

Here is the download link for version 2x - https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, Papageno said:

Thanks for the link.  BTW, did I mess up by not deactivating my installation before uninstalling version 3.0.5?  I did copy down my license ID and key. 

It is usually better to deactivate it, but if your installing on the same computer it should not be an issue.