web protection keeps turning off in 3.0

I'm having the same issue also. I upgraded from MBAM v2 to v3 two days ago, and every time the computer starts up I'm getting the message about real-time protection layers being turned off, and other times my internet seems to have crawled to a halt, but becomes responsive again when I turn the web-protection OFF (after having manually turned it on in response to the warning message). I had absolutely no problems with MBAMv2, so this is most certainly NOT an improved version in my case! :huh: ... and I don't think this what was meant when you said 'new' either! :lol:

I have booted the computer once (boot1), screenshotted the prompt, hit turn on, and then captured the MBAMService logs and run FRST.

I have then enabled the event log data, rebooted the computer (boot2), screenshotted the same prompt and dashboard state, and then run FRST without clicking the Turn On option. I have then tried to turn on real-time protection by hitting the toggle on the dashboard... and it has been stuck in the 'starting' state for the last 15 minutes!!! Clicking on the orange alert message's turn on button doesn't help either... it keeps poping back up every five seconds or so.

Hopefully the logs will help shed some light on what is happening in this case.

boot1.PNG

boot1-Addition.txt

boot1-FRST.txt

boot1-MBAMSERVICE.LOG

boot2.PNG

boot2-FRST.txt

boot2-MBAMSERVICE.LOG

boot2-Addition.txt

boo2-starting.PNG

Edited by pfeerick
added clock to boot2-starting screenshot
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK next time it does turn off I will post. MY issue it turns off at start but does turn on after a few ticks. But my main issue is it sometimes turns off at a random time during the day and will not restart till I restart the machine. I also found that today I booted into safe mode and it tottaly lost my account details and reverted to free mode and at the same time the icon would not come back to the bar at the bottom so I had to do a clean install. I will though get the infoe you need next time it fails. I will turn logging on now. 

thank you dcollins for your help

Getting exactly the same issues here.

it seems some what random in that I suddenly got the AWSOME message and everything GREEN, However I noticed my AVG flaging a warning that part of it was off so I switched it back on and guess what MWB3 gave out error message of web not protected.

I thought all other protection software was compatible or so the advertising blurb says.

Probably going to revert to Vers. 2, if I can?

Don't see any point in listing PC spec as the fault is as described by several others above.

Regards

@Barnaby

Just curious, do you have mutual exclusions entered to help prevent a conflict between both AVG and Malwarebytes?

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list and see if it helps

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

Well, my issues from my last post aren't being resolved any time soon - so I've run up the white flag and reverted back to v.2.0.  Sad thing, but it looks like v.3.0, in whatever iteration, has belly-landed with a resounding 'splat'.

The folks at Malwarebytes make a good product - none of us would have posted to this thread or been concerned about a solution if we didn't believe that.   Let's hope they fix these issues soon, and continue their otherwise-stellar reputation of providing excellent, low-cost antimalware solutions.

Until then - v.2.0 is my friend.....

• Staff

Lots of follow ups, thanks everyone!

@pfeerick I appreciate the logs, I'll start looking through those shortly and see if it identifies anything for us. Thanks for the detailed outline of when you grabbed different details, it should help narrow down what's going on if there's info that will help us.

@PaulAllen thanks for keeping an eye on the process. I understand it's frustrating to not have things work properly, but hopefully we can get it resolved in a timely manner. As for the safe mode issue, that's a known issue that we are working on.

2 hours ago, Firefox said:

@Barnaby

Just curious, do you have mutual exclusions entered to help prevent a conflict between both AVG and Malwarebytes?

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list and see if it helps

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

Cheers Firefox. no I've not done anything like that at all so I'll set it up but first I'll switch off/on AVG several times to try and prove it is the cause.

Going forward will adding those files in the AV exclusion list be a one off time or will they need constantly updating?

Cheers -- I'll report the results back here later.

Edited by Barnaby

I'm having similar issues as explained on the prior two pages.  I can't turn on Web protection after I upgraded to Version 3.0.5.  I'll wait and see what the staff comes up with but it sure seems like quite awhile this has gone on without a solution.  I'm running Win10 with an AMD processor and NO AVG.  Just Windows Defender.

I'm not going back to Ver. 2.  PLEASE (staff) come up with a solution or I'm afraid many will be abandoning ship :<).

42 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Going forward will adding those files in the AV exclusion list be a one off time or will they need constantly updating?

Cheers -- I'll report the results back here later.

Reporting back to my posts above.

Stage 1//  Turning off AVG allowed MWB3 to work properly

Stage 2//   Adding files to "AVG exclusion" or should that be ALLOW, I'll check that too & report back on both but wont now be until tomorrow UK time. 

Best

Same issue here. System tray icon says protection is disabled (exploit protection: off), program says everything is enabled. Getting the popup message every boot. The program is also devouring a lot of memory but so did the last version so that was to be expected. Not keen of reverting back to previous versions so I'm waiting patiently.. nghg.

FYI, It is back to normal and hasn't had a hic-up since I first encountered the problem yesterday.  Did the following:

Right Click on the Malwarebytes icon in the system tray in the lower right hand corner.  (Your Malwarebytes icon may reside in the "Show Hidden Icons")

Left Click on "Quit Malwarebytes"

Restart your computer and click on the "Turn On" button for "Real Time Protection".

This seems to have worked for me and crossing my fingers that "Web Protection" will stay on.  Hopefully this will work for you too.

Edited by StanR
5 minutes ago, StanR said:

FYI, It is back to normal and hasn't had a hic-up since I first encountered the problem yesterday.  Did the following:

Right Click on the Malwarebytes icon in the system tray in the lower right hand corner.  (Your Malwarebytes icon may reside in the "Show Hidden Icons")

Left Click on "Quit Malwarebytes"

Restart your computer and click on the "Turn On" button for "Real Time Protection".

This seems to have worked for me and crossing my fingers that "Web Protection" will stay on.  Hopefully this will work for you too.

Tried. Didn't work unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, daniellindstrm said:

Tried. Didn't work unfortunately. 

Try it again and this time, instead of doing a "Restart" , select "Shut Down".  Restart the computer and when the orange notification "Real Time Protection Layers Turned Off" pops up, click on the "Turn On" button.  I had this problem on my desktop computer and Laptop (I have multiple licenses).  Both problems seem to have gone away.  Worth a second try.

@dcollins Well, either this is just a coincidence, or this gremlin is trying to trick me into thinking it has been mitigated, but I removed a couple of other bits of software that I don't normally use that integrate into the system a bit more than normal (Sandboxie, NetBalancer) and also added all the MBAM/MBAE executables to the exclusions for Sophos Endpoint and when I started the computer up this morning, it was fine - no warnings, nothing. 

Edited by pfeerick

hi all , i have only installed malwarebyte 3.0.5. 1299 , whitout other AV 

cpu pentium dual core T2330 1,6ghz , ram 2gb

same problem with web protection is turning off or hangs when starting this feature

now , i  going  to disable message monitor about AV on security center windows 7 , and see if work

sorry for my english

• Staff

@PaulAllen thanks for the follow up. I'll take a look through the logs and see if it matches what else we're seeing.

As for why we recommend not leaving Event Log Data on, it makes the logs much more verbose and can fill them up quickly. This means you could have a lot of log files taking up a lot of space, and most of the time that's not needed

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff
5 minutes ago, Marty9878 said:

Just registered to say i am also having this issue. It says exploit protection off. I am unable to turn it back on without restart. I have latest version running alongside Avast and have also enabled windows defender periodic scanning only.

If you're issue is with Exploit Protection, then you're having a different issue as this thread is focused on Web Protection. I'd recommend making a new thread so we can properly diagnose your issue

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

If you're issue is with Exploit Protection, then you're having a different issue as this thread is focused on Web Protection. I'd recommend making a new thread so we can properly diagnose your issue

Ok, sorry about that. I found this thread when doing a google search to see if anyone else was having the same issue. The issue resolved itself with a restart. I have had this problem occurring occasionally, but usually it is the web protection that seems to switch itself off.