web protection keeps turning off in 3.0

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

@PaulAllen 

Can you please attach a copy of the MBAMService.log located in the following folder?
c:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs

In order to locate the file, you'll need to be able to see hidden folders.

Also, this next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open -- DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will make produce 2 logs in the same directory the tool was run from. Please attach the following logs to your next reply:

FRST.txt

Addition.txt.

• Staff

@PaulAllen thanks for the logs and your patience. :)

Can you get me a screen shot of what you're seeing in the Dashboard?  The FRST.txt shows the Web Protection is running:(The R in the initial R3 of the line represents the state of the service. R = Running 

R3 MBAMWebProtection; C:\windows\system32\drivers\mwac.sys [91584 2016-12-29] (Malwarebytes)

The same applies to you as well @CalifComputerMaven   I see it as running. Please attach a screen shot of your Dashboard

I have this issue as well. 

To elaborate - most of the "upgrades" I did to 3.04/3.05 I've reverted back to MBAM v2 as this new version 3.04 and 3.05 are horrible and often make the PC unusable (so slow and unresponsive).

I have left 3.04/3.05 on a couple of machines, but having to revert most of them as well as the new issues/problems/freezing re-occur.

On my computer (3.05) this morning, at boot, extremely slow and unresponsive computer. Most of the time when this happens, I can just shutdown/reboot and things improve. What I found this morning, my computer was doing a malware scan right after boot, and computer was basically frozen for doing anything. Because I'm running Windows 7 & MSE, I quit malwarebytes before shutdown to avoid having to wait over 4 minutes for shutdown. After reboot, web protection was disabled.

2 other computers still running 3.04 this morning I have had to revert back to 2.x version as they are freezing and unusable. Both of them have had a main screen of the 3.04 interface showing a new version is available with a button to click to Install Now for the 3,05. The button does not work. (Have seen this in prior days, and the button never works. Never does anything.) 

I've also found that re-installing MBAnti-exploit old version after having had any version 3 on the machine brings back the freezing unusable computer issue - so I am leaving Antiexploit off of the computers.

I really wish the company will fix all these horrible issues with this new release. It's just way beyond any reasonable amount of bugs/problems one would expect with a RELEASE of a new version. Version 3 is absolutely not ready for a release version - this is at best VERY buggy beta software. Feels more like pre-beta software to me. There is NO WAY I could trust this as my sole AV/Antimalware protection. 

I have the SAME issues even after the 3.05 update so, I guess it is going to take another update to fix?
Still getting the protection is off message at start up but, after 5 seconds the protection is showing as on.
I know it sounds petty but I am getting a little sick of seeing the message on boot.

MBAM.jpg

Add my voice to the number of people who are having this problem.

Machines:   Lenovo i5 laptop; Dell i7 All-In-One

Antivirus:     ESET NOD32 v.9

(Malwarebytes v.3.0.5.1299)

Previous version of Malwarebytes worked flawlessly.   Current version; not so much:

Problems:

1.  Frequent attempts by software to install new version.  (In going through this iteration, it rolled itself back to a prior version of 3.0)

2.  Both web protection and exploit protection will not load.  Attempting to start it from the system tray icon leaves the section greyed-out.   Attempting to start it from the main screen returns a 'Starting' status next  to the switch icon (indicating a startup problem).

Attempted Solutions:

1.  Used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the program and reinstall.   Same result.

2.  Used v.2.3.0.1001 of MBAM-clean to remove program and reinstall.  Same result.

(I'm tempted to uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0, find my prior version install file, and install *that*, monitoring this forum for fix reports - if anyone from Malwarebytes reads this post and can give a realistic fix date, I'll suffer with it until that time if it'll be fixed soon.  Of a personal note, I've really liked this product and recommended it to everyone - but this is really sloppy work for a fully-released product.)

Having the same / similar issue with web protection.. The system is Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit OS with quad-core CPU, 16 gig memory and SSD drive.

It works just fine for couple of days and then, the web protection is off and the " You're not fully protected..." message pops up. Trying to enable it from within a standard user account does not work. Logging out and logging in as admin may, or may not be able to start the web protection. Rebooting the system and logging in as admin always work, the web protection is enabled and stays on that way when switching to a standard UID. Rinse and repeat after couple of days, or more frequently...:huh:

And here's the kicker... Sometimes even the standard UID can enable the web protection, but not all the times. In which case see above...

By no means that I am expert in this, but... It seems to be an unaccounted condition in the program code that hangs things up in certain circumstances. Rebooting the system clears this condition and always allows admin to enable the web protection. Sometimes, even the standard UID can enable it, but not always...

Again, I am no expert and could just as well be wrong on this...

BTW... I did not see this issue on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system with the same MB 3.05 version...

My advice:

Revert to Anti-Malware 2 and Anti Exploit as long as the issue isn't solved completely.

I did it in that way and all is running well again.

I only will reinstall Malwarebytes 3, when it's running without any severe issues.

Link to get again Anti-Malware 2.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x

Link for Anti Exploit:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/01i5ucqhaqgjo2wdw1np5fqaas1s78yn

47 minutes ago, GMork said:

My advice:

Revert to Anti-Malware 2 and Anti Exploit as long as the issue isn't solved completely.

I did it in that way and all is running well again.

I only will reinstall Malwarebytes 3, when it's running without any severe issues.

Link to get again Anti-Malware 2.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x

Link for Anti Exploit:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/01i5ucqhaqgjo2wdw1np5fqaas1s78yn

Totally agree. Let MBAM 3.x mature a bit more and in the meantime uninstall and revert back to version 2.x of the product. 

I had a lot of problems with Malwarebytes 3.0.4, and initially the same with 3.0.5. It was always Exploit Protection that was turned off. A few reinstalls later, it now seems to have settled down a lot. Very occasionally the Web Protection is turned off, even in the settings, when the computer is woken up in the morning. Trying to start it doesn't help. I find the quickest way to deal with it is turn Malwarbytes 3.0.5 off, then on again. I don't need to reboot and it never happens randomly while I'm using the computer, only on occasional morning "wakeups". This is a desktop computer, so it is "hybrid sleep". Don't know if that makes a difference!

It seems heavy on memory, currently MBAMService.exe = 287,928K, which pretty much rivals Firefox, but computer doesn't seem to have slowed down.

Running in conjuction with Avast Free which, despite its recommendation to uninstall Malwarebytes, isn't throwing any wobblies.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1. AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 4gb RAM, nVidia GEforce 6600

I appreciate I may just be lucky, and I certainly would like not to bother with turning Malwarebytes off/on again, but at least I've got beyond my initial instinct to revert to v 2 & old anti-Exploit.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, PaulAllen said:

@Ried

Here is a FRST and picture when it has turned off for no reason. The computer has been on all day and about 18.00ish it just turned off.

Hope this is of help :)

Thanks

off again.png

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

About an hour ago started to have the same exact problem on my Lenovo G50-70, however, "Next Scheduled Scan" is "ON".   I have tried "Turn On" button, rebooting, shutting down completely and rebooting.  Nothing seems to be able to turn "Web Protection" back "ON".  Help!!!  This is a new computer and I installed Malwarebytes 3.05.1299 for the first time on this laptop yesterday.  Was working ok until today.  Help!!!!

Edited by StanR

It is back to normal.  Did the following:

Right Click on the Malwarebytes icon in the system tray in the lower right hand corner.  (Your MB's icon may reside in the "Show Hidden Icons")

Click on "Quit Malwarebytes"

Restart your computer.

This seems to have worked for me and crossing my fingers that "Web Protection" will stay on.  Hopefully this will work for you too.

It is back to normal.  Did the following:

Right Click on the Malwarebytes icon in the system tray in the lower right hand corner.  (Your MB's icon may reside in the "Show Hidden Icons")

Click on "Quit Malwarebytes"

Restart your computer and click on the "Turn On" button for ""Real Time Protection".

This seems to have worked for me and crossing my fingers that "Web Protection" will stay on.  Hopefully this will work for you too.

Hi all! If possible, can you please turn on Event Log Data under Settings -> Applications. Once turned on, please reboot and wait for Web Protection to fail starting. At that point, please zip up the entire C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs folder and upload it here. Note that the folder may be hidden, so you'll need to turn on hidden folders or type the address manually to find it. Once done, you can turn off Event Log Data under Settings -> Application again.

Similar issues here. 

System Tray often shows Web Protection off. If I turn on in MalwareBytes then I see as attached image although system tray reports now on. Is it on or off? How can I tell?

In addition system tray consistently reports Updates: Out of Date whilst Dashboard shows Updates: Current. 

V2 ran perfectly, so far as I could tell, for years but v3 seems very problematic.

FrontScreen.PNG

Edited by CharAp
Spelling and tidying up