MBAE is taking too long to start. Please reboot your computer to restart protection.

clower_element

Hi 

Since this morning when I turned my laptop on MBAE for some reason whilst everything was loading up didn't load up MBAE icon in the system tray and also couple minutes later MBAE pop up alert appeared.

I followed instructions and have rebooted my laptop twice and nothing has changed. The problem still persists with no icon in the system tray and MBAE pop up reappearing after a reboot telling me to reboot yet again! 

There is no balloon pop up telling me I am protected when I open my browser either which leads me to believe that MBAE is completely dead at present. 

I don't have a clue how to repair this problem. Please help. 

Thanks

z - ma ex taking too long to start.PNG

• Staff

Hello clower_element,

Much like what Doctor9fan is mentioning, doing a clean re-install would be a good first step. We do have a clean tool specifically for anti-exploit that can be found here:

After you use that, reboot the computer and install this version on the machine:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae

Edited by Rsullinger

Thank you very much for your help :). The use of the MBAE clean tool certainly did the trick. My new cleanly installed version 1.9.1.1291 seems to be working as it should. 

May I ask when was this version 1.9.1.1291 released? Because my previous version was 1.9.1.1261 and I had the box " Automatically upgrade to new versions" ticked.

55 minutes ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello Clower,

It was released on the 15th. So that may not explain it with the update, do you happen to have windows 10 or did windows updates recently? There was a fix in a prior version for those 2 points, but I want to make sure it is not occurring again. 

My laptop runs Windows 7 (64bit) and the last batch of Windows Updates installed on the 14th December. 

BAD NEWS :( !  The clean reinstall only seemed to work yesterday.

Turned off my laptop before I went to bed and turned it back on this morning and the same problems persist:

1. MBAE not displaying the icon in system tray 

2. The MBAE pop up again telling me " The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service is taking too long to start. Please reboot your computer to restart protection." I did another reboot but it didn't solve the problem again. Task manager only listed MBAE process when I first turned my laptop on, after a reboot the MBAE process is not even listed there.

3. Can't launch GUI when I click on Windows Start button and click on MBAE there it just does nothing when I click it. 

4. When I open my browsers the protection balloon is nowhere to be seem

Again MBAE is stone cold. Need help, please.

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. It started about a week ago very intermittently but is now happening every time I switch my main machine on. Windows 7, no December Windows Updates yet installed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MBAE but didn't have time at that particular moment to run the clean uninstaller, and the problem persists. Although the error message calls for a restart, that doesn't always resolve the issue.

My second machine, also Windows 7 with no December updates has just booted up with MBAE ok, but it's probably the first time I've used that machine since this issue started so it's too soon to say whether that one is running MBAE ok or not. 

• Staff

Hello All,

Those are perfect. There was also another log in the post I wanted to have you grab as well called frst. I want to have you collect that so our team can try to find any commonalities between the computers to see about replicating it. To do this:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

2: Double-click the purple FRST icon to run the program. Click Yes when the disclaimer appears.

3: Click the Scan button

4: When the scan has finished, it will make 2 log files in the same directory the tool is run, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please attach both files in your reply.

After that I should have all the information we need! 

At this point, are we able to see anything in common with the workstations experiencing this issue? 

I ask because I have nearly 100 licensed users right now, and have probably 10 reporting this specific issue (some at headquarters, some remote across the country, and that isnt counting people who just click through an error and dont report it), and we dont have the resources to take the time to generate log files for each of them, so I was hoping that maybe something was standing out in common with the log files already collected... 

I'll be honest here, and this is not an attempt to hijack this thread, but Im also seeing problems with Outlook startups/lack thereof (that are fixed by uninstalling Malwarebytes) and very long startup times for the workstations themselves starting maybe a week ago, again, solved again by uninstalling Malwarebytes.

Im not entirely sure at this point that we are going to budget for new licenses for the coming year, as this program suite is becoming more labor intensive than expected. I would like to stay with Malwarebytes, but I need a solution that is more than just manually uninstalling, cleaning and reinstalling each workstation that has an issue over and over again. 

FYI: Our workstations are running Anti-Malware 1.80.1.1011 and Anti-Exploit 1.08.2.1045, are all Dell brand running Windows 7 x64 with all Windows updates current and all drivers current via Dell's Command Update. 

Management Console version V2016.12.29.05, Updated this morning at 7:33am running on Windows server 2008 R2

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

6 hours ago, billmobile1 said:

At this point, are we able to see anything in common with the workstations experiencing this issue? 

I ask because I have nearly 100 licensed users right now, and have probably 10 reporting this specific issue (some at headquarters, some remote across the country, and that isnt counting people who just click through an error and dont report it), and we dont have the resources to take the time to generate log files for each of them, so I was hoping that maybe something was standing out in common with the log files already collected... 

I'll be honest here, and this is not an attempt to hijack this thread, but Im also seeing problems with Outlook startups/lack thereof (that are fixed by uninstalling Malwarebytes) and very long startup times for the workstations themselves starting maybe a week ago, again, solved again by uninstalling Malwarebytes.

Im not entirely sure at this point that we are going to budget for new licenses for the coming year, as this program suite is becoming more labor intensive than expected. I would like to stay with Malwarebytes, but I need a solution that is more than just manually uninstalling, cleaning and reinstalling each workstation that has an issue over and over again. 

FYI: Our workstations are running Anti-Malware 1.80.1.1011 and Anti-Exploit 1.08.2.1045, are all Dell brand running Windows 7 x64 with all Windows updates current and all drivers current via Dell's Command Update. 

Management Console version V2016.12.29.05, Updated this morning at 7:33am running on Windows server 2008 R2

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Disregard my post, Im moving this to a new topic so as not to derail what is already going on in this thread... sorry!

I haven't experienced this problem on either of my two machines for several days now. Has something been fixed at your end? The only change at my end has been the installation of the December Windows Updates (although I can't be certain whether the issue stopped happening before that).

Strangely I haven't experienced any problems for several days now either. The only trouble days after MBAE reinstall looking at the logs when MBAE was completely dead again were 28th and 29th December 2016 and since then it has been fine for some reason. Nothing on my laptop updated except MSE and MBAM definitions.

Edited by clower_element

1 hour ago, clower_element said:

Strangely I haven't experienced any problems for several days now either. The only trouble days after MBAE reinstall looking at the logs when MBAE was completely dead again were 28th and 29th December 2016 and since then it has been fine for some reason. Nothing on my laptop updated except MSE and MBAM definitions.

Ah yes, that reminds me - MSE and MBAM definitions will also have been updated on my machines. Both run MBAM Free, version 2.x on one and version 1.75 on the other.

• Staff

Hello everyone,

We didn't make any changes on our end for this, but I did see other reports of customers using MSE or Windows defender having issues by needing to 'allow' mbae to run. So it may have had to do with something like that. If anyone is still having the issue, can you let me know? We want to get another set of logs from this to track down what is preventing the service from starting.