Computer takes ages to power on/shutdown and can't turn on Web Protection

Hello,

For a week or two, my computer takes a really long time to boot-up after entering the password in the log-in screen. Sometimes everything freezes and I have to turn it off, and sometimes I just need to wait 5 minutes for everything to load. 

Also, when shutting down my computer, it stays on the windows shut down screen for very long time (a few minutes instead of a few seconds like before). 

Another problem I have, is that I cannot turn on Web Protection: it stays stuck on "Starting..." 

What should I do?

Thanks a lot for the help!

I had the same problem and told Malwarebytes that after their newest 3.0 and all the updates, it took 2 minutes and 45 seconds for my computer to FINALLY shut off....... EACH AND EVERY TIME UNLESS YOU  "EXIT MALWAREBYTES" USING THE TASKBAR ICON BEFORE YOU CLOSE WINDOWS.  But then, it's slow to start, hangs other apps and is just a total mess.  NEVER had this problem before their new and "improved" program.  I finally got fed up and uninstalled it completely.  Now my computer completely shuts down in 21 seconds.   I'm going to have to find something else to run.  Why they had to "fix" something that wasn't broken in the first place is beyond me.

I had the same problem and after going through msconfig and deleting services one by one narrowed it down to Malware 3. It was taking about 3-4 minutes to shut down and takes about 3 minutes to show up in the task bar. I hope a solution is found soon as for now I do not start it in msconfig and start it manually in services by activating it.

I don't know why I ever upgraded to the 3.0 in the first place.  You know the old adage...............if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I should have left well enough alone.  I had the old Malwarebytes Premium and Anti Exploit paid versions and had no problems.  I could just kick myself for downloading this mess.   But since I've uninstalled it, I won't be notified of any additional Fixes. So far, the 3.04 and 3.05 haven't helped.   I'm running Windows 7 Professional  64 bit with Microsoft Security Essentials.

BTW,  my  Taskbar "M"  would sometimes show up but 95% of the time it never did......... even though it's marked to  "show".  Then trying to "open" Malwarebytes via desktop icon would cause my computer to freeze and the "run" spinning blue circle would never stop and the program would never open. When that happens, you cant even open the "Task Manager"......... and trying to " shut down" hangs and hangs and hangs.  It's one HORRIBLE MESS.

Holy stuff,

You guys were right, thanks a lot... Malwarebytes was indeed the issue! And I also suspected it since that issue came around the time I upgraded!

I'm pretty pissed to have paid for something that made my computer unusable!!

What should we do, revert to the old Malwarebytes? 

Thanks again!

On 12/26/2016 at 10:49 PM, Lwos said:

BTW,  my  Taskbar "M"  would sometimes show up but 95% of the time it never did......... even though it's marked to  "show".  Then trying to "open" Malwarebytes via desktop icon would cause my computer to freeze and the "run" spinning blue circle would never stop and the program would never open. When that happens, you cant even open the "Task Manager"......... and trying to " shut down" hangs and hangs and hangs.  It's one HORRIBLE MESS.

This is happening to me also - getting pretty frustrating.  Looking for something to replace Malwarebytes soon if it continues.

JohnBurns.  I did a clean uninstall of Malwarebytes 3.05 by running their removal tool.  Shut down the computer and did that twice.  Then I UNINSTALLED via my control panel my OLD Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit paid edition. Then Shut down my computer twice.   Then downloaded the OLD Malwarebytes FREE version than plugged in my  License and Key numbers ( be sure you HAVE yours before you erase everything) AND then turned the computer off and on twice.  When I found all was well with the OLD VERSION AND MY COMPUTER WAS BACK TO RUNNING PERFECTLY, I went and re-downloaded the last version of Anti-Exploit Premium ( ends in 1294) and did the off and on ritual of the computer.  BINGO........my Windows 7 64 bit Professional with Microsoft Security Essentials as an anti-virus  is running PERFECTLY AGAIN WITH THE OLD STUFF re-loaded.  I made sure the 3.0 folder was gone ( c:/ program files(86) /malwarebytes) from my computer too. The ONLY PLACE I see see reference to the 3.0 is on my taskbar under "Customize icons"  it shows " malwarebytes 3.0  mbamtray.exe." but I cant find that file in my computer doing a routine search. 

I don't blame you........ I was iffy about re-doing it too.  But I'm on day #2 now running the old version and all is well. Shutting down in 21 seconds instead of 2 3/4 minutes and no more white screens or programs hanging or problems with task manager not working.   Like you.........I'm NOT installing the new version from Malwarebytes for a good long time.  I learned my lesson.

I strongly suggest you do a complete clean  removal of the 3.0 FIRST.   It's called   mbam-clean.exe  and I found the link to it in a post in this forum by Malwarebytes. under the heading  "MBAM Clean Removal Process"  forum thread Started by AdvancedSetup, on February 6, 2013

Once you remove the new version, I strongly suggest you Shut down and restart your computer and only Then go back and RE-INSTALL the old version. That 3.0 version stays in your program files(86) and I found it interfered with the old version.  Once I completely got rid of the new version and all it's files the old version runs flawlessly and isn't screwing up my computer anymore 

After you re-install the Old Version, shut down, re-start and see what happens.  I think you'll be happy.  I know I am.  BTW, I decided NOT to enable any of the Malwarebytes taskbar icons to show up next to my clock.   Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Just found this thread, what a pity, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble.

Had the same problem, never suspected MBAM as I have been using it many years. Eventually found it was causing the problem after elimination using MSCONFIG. I uninstalled and used the clean utility, but when I reloaded and used paste and copy of the serial and id numbers, it said there was a problem with the activation and to contact support. As it was Christmas I went back to an earlier image of Windows 7, a lot of hassle, and it is now running fine with MBAM disabled. Just hope they fix it soon, but I will want to be sure before I run it again, as it was supposed to be fixed in the last patch 19th December I think..

Edited by Yozzer

On 12/28/2016 at 11:07 AM, Lwos said:

I don't blame you........ I was iffy about re-doing it too.  But I'm on day #2 now running the old version and all is well. Shutting down in 21 seconds instead of 2 3/4 minutes and no more white screens or programs hanging or problems with task manager not working.   Like you.........I'm NOT installing the new version from Malwarebytes for a good long time.  I learned my lesson.

Lwos, based on your posts, which I really appreciate, I uninstalled MBAM3 and re- installed MBAM2.  Things seem to be much improved on both my home pc's.  Thanks for your help.  

Edited by JohnBurns

19 hours ago, JohnBurns said:

Has anyone heard anything about a time-frame regarding MABM 3 being usable without the current problems it has?  I'm still using MBAM 2 .  

So far, I've Not heard or read anything about solutions to those of us experiencing problems.

Just adding myself to the list of users having problems. I've wasted many hours over the holiday installing and then removing version 3. Even version 3.05 which was supposed to fix the slow shutdown did not work! I've managed to get my computer working again by re-installing version 2 (lifetime license) and the free version of anti-exploit.

Version 3 made my computer practically un-useable, causing several programs to run extremely slowly or even "hang". I'll keep checking for any further updates but I have to say I've never had an updated program cause problems on this scale!

(Windows 7 64 bit + Microsoft Security Essentials.)

6 hours ago, LPM_Molly said:

Just adding myself to the list of users having problems. I've wasted many hours over the holiday installing and then removing version 3. Even version 3.05 which was supposed to fix the slow shutdown did not work! I've managed to get my computer working again by re-installing version 2 (lifetime license) and the free version of anti-exploit.

Version 3 made my computer practically un-useable, causing several programs to run extremely slowly or even "hang". I'll keep checking for any further updates but I have to say I've never had an updated program cause problems on this scale!

(Windows 7 64 bit + Microsoft Security Essentials.)

LPM_Molly........... I feel your pain.  I was pulling my hair out over this fiasco and  why I ever decided to download the newest version package is beyond me.  I've learned my lesson.  I'm not trusting ANYTHING anymore and sticking with what works.  If they pull or discontinue the old programs.......I'll find another anti malware vendor like Zemana. I've heard good thing about them.