After installing Malwarebytes 3 Windows Defender has been turned off

Hi there:) Firstly I wish everyone here a very happy Christmas and a great year ahead..

Re my issue - I have a  lifetime license for MBAM. After installing Malwarebytes 3 today  Windows Defender turned off.  I think that the problem might be that Windows Defender sees MBAM 3 as an anti virus. I checked to see in the Action Centre/Security what the situation was. It seemed to confirm that MBAM is listed as an antivirus there under virus protection.  I  also read a post in the Microsoft forum that if another antivirus is installed that Windows Defender might switch off.

The screenshot shows In the Action Center under Security, Virus Protection, that Malwarebytes is switched on! Hopefully this is an issue that can be resolved. Having said that if i had to make a decision on one or the other,  I would definitely stay with Malwarebytes,  as I am very impressed with this new version 3.0.

Best wishes,

Howard

Windows Defender screenshot.jpg

Hi zorba :)

Malwarebyes 3.0 comes with the option to register itself in the Action Center, which means, registering itself as the active "Antivirus" program, hence why Windows Defender has been turned off, since it Malwarebytes has been registered itself. Open Malwarebytes and go in the Settings tab. Then scroll down a bit and under Windows Action Center select the option shown in the screenshot below (to never register Malwarebytes in the Action Center). This should enable back Windows Defender.

TpEPueH.png

I appreciate that running 2 AV's is inadvisable:) However would you consider Malwarebytes 3 to be an AV along with being anti-malware, as distinct from Malwarebytes 2 which I saw as being anti-malware? I ask and wonder if others in this forum have installed both together, or have most the same issue as myself and can install either one or the other?

If MBAM 3 is definitely an AV along with the  other excellent services it provides, then for sure in my case it would be a case of bye bye Windows Defender.

There seems to be a "grey area" as to how anti-virus is precisely defined. Is it purely based on downloads and updates of virus definitions?

Merry Xmas:)

Hello Aura:)

I did try that yesterday and also temporarily disabled all other MBAM services offered at the same time . I then  shutdown and rebooted my computer. After reboot I got the expected security warning that my system was unprotected, so i went to the Action Centre, Security,  which gave me the option to switch on Windows Defender. I clicked the button to enable but nothing happened, so I was unable to switch on Windows Defender.

Edited by zorba
typing error

I see that you also have SecureAPlus installed. It could be a conflict between Malwarebyes 3.0, SecureAPlus and Windows Defender. If you're willing to, would you uninstall SecureAPlus, then reinstall Malwarebytes 3.0, make sure the Windows Action Center setting is set to not register Malwarebytes in it is set and see if Windows Defender is enabled after?

3 hours ago, Aura said:

Malwarebytes 3.0 isn't an Antivirus, though it is said that it can be used as an Antivirus replacement. And there's other people here that uses Windows Defender/MSE along with Malwarebytes 3.0. To fix your issue, simply follow the instructions in my previous post.

Staff seem to disagree with you regarding your statement that Mbam 3.0 isn't an AV. 

It doesn't says that Malwarebytes 3.0 is an Antivirus, at all, and Malwarebytes even says so.

I believe there's a bit of misinterpretation going on here that I'd like to clear up.  First off, Malwarebytes 3.0 is not an actual antivirus and we have never said that it was.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192225-mbam-30-and-av-comparativesorg/#comment-1080896

I earlier tried to make sure that SecureAPlus was not the culprit. With Secureaplus I  only ever have  used the white listing facility and never use virus protection. Universal AV and Real Time scanning i have always kept disabled.

I followed your suggestions but sadly to no avail.

As Malwarebytes is not a virus checker, I would suggest that the  recommended mode by default  that it should be set to "Never register Malwarebytes in the windows Action Centre" rather then "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system".

My reason for this is by the time Malwarebytes is installed  Windows Defender has already reacted and disabled before never register Malwarebytes is checked. The other way if people want Malwarebytes to apply actions is the Action Center that can be enabled later!

I fully appreciate that the problem that I am experiencing maybe only effects a small minority of people. i also understand that many here don't use Windows Defender anyway.

• 2 months later...
On 12/25/2016 at 9:29 AM, Aura said:

Hi zorba :)

Malwarebyes 3.0 comes with the option to register itself in the Action Center, which means, registering itself as the active "Antivirus" program, hence why Windows Defender has been turned off, since it Malwarebytes has been registered itself. Open Malwarebytes and go in the Settings tab. Then scroll down a bit and under Windows Action Center select the option shown in the screenshot below (to never register Malwarebytes in the Action Center). This should enable back Windows Defender.

TpEPueH.png

Thank you, I had not seen this thread.