MBAM 3.05: Scan GUI Bug. Cannot Select Disks

Looks like other users are experiencing the same issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192795-cannot-select-my-only-drive-in-custom-scan-cannot-use-custom-scan-at-all/

If you go in your Display Settings (right-click on the Desktop to select it), do you have a zoom size other than 100% on the monitor where the Malwarebytes GUI is?

4 minutes ago, Aura said:

Looks like other users are experiencing the same issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192795-cannot-select-my-only-drive-in-custom-scan-cannot-use-custom-scan-at-all/

If you go in your Display Settings (right-click on the Desktop to select it), do you have a zoom size other than 100% on the monitor where the Malwarebytes GUI is?

It's set to 100% on my system with 3 monitors.  The primary monitor is a Dell touch screen. Windows 10 x64 Pro Build 14393.567

On my MS Surface Pro, it is set to 150%.  The display is also touch screen. Windows 10 x64 Pro Build 14393.567

I was incorrect  :wacko:in stating that this is occurring on Insider Build 14986.1001.  It is working okay on that system with a single monitor set to 100%

Have you been able to identify/fix this problem so that those of us who are experiencing the inability to run a custom scan can resume this capability on the next release of Malwarebytes?

Is there an additional info that I can provide to assist in resolving it if it is not yet identified?  

I would like to do a little experiment. Create a new user account (make it Admin), then log in that account, launch Malwarebytes and see if you're able to check your drives.

1 hour ago, Aura said:

I would like to do a little experiment. Create a new user account (make it Admin), then log in that account, launch Malwarebytes and see if you're able to check your drives.

Established a new admin user account as requested.  Still cannot select disks when running malwarebytes under new account.  :wacko:

Do you use any special programs to custom your mouse? Also, what are these small icons I see on your Malwarebytes window screenshot (in the top-right corner)?

19 minutes ago, Aura said:

Do you use any special programs to custom your mouse? Also, what are these small icons I see on your Malwarebytes window screenshot (in the top-right corner)?

No, On one system, the mouse is a Logitech Trackman and the standard Logitech drivers are used; on my MS Surface Pro tablet, the mouse is the standard that is part of the detachable keyboard.  The small icons in the screenshot are from Displayfusion 8.1.2 which controls my 3 monitors on my gaming computer.  The icons are clickable to move the Malwarebytes GUI to a specific monitor.

Please keep in mind that this bug did not exist on version 3.04 on any of my computers.

I see that you're not using a standard pointer, this is what I'm asking about. And can you disable DisplayFusion, then see if you can select the drives? Basically, we're trying to eliminate all exterior factors and to get as close to vanilla situation as possible to see if Malwarebytes works properly then or not.

23 minutes ago, Aura said:

I see that you're not using a standard pointer, this is what I'm asking about. And can you disable DisplayFusion, then see if you can select the drives? Basically, we're trying to eliminate all exterior factors and to get as close to vanilla situation as possible to see if Malwarebytes works properly then or not.

I disabled DisplayFusion via Task Manager>Startup and then rebooted.  Still cannot select disks in Malwarebytes.  

My pointer style is selected via Windows Settings.

StandardPointer.png

Can you change the pointer size and color to the 1st option each, and then see if you can select the drives? If it doesn't work obviously you can set them back, re-enable DisplayFusion, etc. after.

1 minute ago, Aura said:

Can you change the pointer size and color to the 1st option each, and then see if you can select the drives? If it doesn't work obviously you can set them back, re-enable DisplayFusion, etc. after.

Changed pointer to default which is 1st option.  No disks or folders can be selected.  

Edited by siliconman01

OKAY!  I determined where the issue is being generated.  On my gaming system, the primary monitor is a touch P2714T Dell monitor.  For the "touch" component to work (be active), it requires that a USB 3.0 cable be plugged in to a USB port.  This is in addition to the HDMI cable to run the monitor.  If I unplug the USB cable which turns off the touch component, I can then select disks in Malwarebytes and run a custom scan.

This also explains why the problem is present on my MS Surface Pro tablet which is also touch screen.  Hope this info helps resolve the issue.

Well spotted! :) Here, maybe @Ried can report this to the development team so they can investigate. I know there were 2-3 threads reporting that issue as well, I'll check with the users if they are using a touchscreen.

I had the same problem, HP All-in-one-touch, I couldn't select any drives.
Went into device manager - human interface devices and right click disabled my touch screen. Sent the program back down to the task bar then reopened it, was able to select drives again... Even after turning the touch screen back on...

JFI

I installed Insider Build 15002 on my Surface Pro tablet (Windows 10x64 Pro Insider Build 15002.  I previously had Windows 10x64 Pro Build 14393.693 on the Surface).  The Surface Pro tablet has a touch screen and this problem still exists with Insider Build 15002 on the tablet.  

Edited by siliconman01
corrected spelling
  • 3 months later...

Hey, I selected the drive with the cursor and nothing happened. But then I used the tab button to select the next drive and shift-tab buttons to select the drive before. When the cursor or that little shadow is on the drive indicating that the cursor or drive is available to be selected, I press the space bar, which selects the drive. You can just do that. That is the easiest. I believe someone else mentioned this in the other thread. Good luck guys!!!

• 1 year later...

It's been a year and half, and this issue STILL EXISTS?????What the >>> is going on with you guys? Surely this is a SIMPLE code fix!!! Geeeeeeeeez! 

It doesn't matter if drive is internal or external...I select the whole drive, ...and it won't scan for rootkits no matter what. I PAID for this crap...not the free version, I actually bought this junk. Come ON already!