MalwareBytes 3.0 Web Protection not working

PROTECTION WON'T START: SOLVED!! The below was sent to me in an email from MBAM support.

Step 1: Uninstall:

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0 from the Windows Control Panel.
    • If you do not see this program skip this part.
  2. Reboot your computer
  3. After the reboot, please download and run our MBAM-clean tool from the link below:
  4. Reboot your computer
Step 2: Installation:
  1. Download and Run the Malwarebytes 3.0 installer from the link below
  2. Locate and double click the file, mb3-setup-consumer.exe, to run the installer:
    • Be sure to check your downloads folder if you do not see the file
    • You may see a notification explaining that your existing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, or Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (Beta) applications need to be uninstalled before you can install Malwarebytes 3.0.
  3. Press Accept, then follow this prompts on the installer window.
  4. Malwarebytes will open automatically to the new welcome screen.
  5. If you have a premium subscription for either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Proceed to Activation.

Step 3: Activation: Premium Subscribers Only

1. If you do not already have your license key on hand, You can obtain your license info here.
  2. Press the Activate button in the top right.
    • If you only see a My Account button in the top right your license has already migrated over. Please click My Account to verify.
  3. Copy and Paste your License info to the appropriate boxes.
    • If your activation info has an ID press theI also have an IDlink
  4. Click the Activate button to activate your Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium license

Like everyone else when I updated to MalwareBytes 3.0 Web Protection would not start.  Rebooting and trying to start Web Protection failed.

I was resigned that I would live with Web Protection not working until a fix was pushed.   I then configured MalwareBytes to my usual start settings: All protections turned ON, Start MalwareBytes at Windows startup: ON, Delay Real-Time Protection when MalwareBytes starts: OFF, Enable self-protection module early start:  ON.  At the next reboot I was notified as usual that Web Protection was turned off.  I clicked the notification to start Web Protection and it started!!!

After 4 days Web Protection is starting each time at boot and stays started.

I am running Windows 7 with latest updates.

I don't know if this will help anybody but good luck.

Wayne

Sigh installed 3.0.6.1458 on top of version 2.x and it seemed to be ok until today. I looked down to the systray and there was a red triangle. Opened up MBAM and it said its definitions were not up to date. So I clicked on the circular arrow and closed the window. An hour later I came back to the computer to discover the same red triangle. Opened up the App to discover definitions were still out of date and Web Protection and Malware Protection were both off. Click yet again on the circular arrow. That supposedly got the definitions up to date apparently and re-enabled Web Protection. However Malware Protection was still disabled. I had to click on the enable slider on the Settings page. Even though the Dashboard page shows I am protected the systray icon still shows a red triangle and mousing over it shows Updates:Out Of Date.

I tried exiting MBAM via right mouse click and selecting Close Malwarebytes. I get the UAC window I say Yes yet MBAM is still running.

I had to reboot the computer to get rid of the red flag on the systray icon and regain the ability to shut MBAM down.

Edited by frozen

After experiencing the Real-Time Web Protection issue I did as advised and installed Ver 3.0.6.1458.  I still cannot get this function to work.  It's been installed for a couple of days and my laptop has been restarted three times in that period.  Running Win 10 OS.   Any more ideas?

This is getting extremely annoying . Every time when I restart PC Web Protection is off and if you try to start it hangs on starting forever . I updated to latest version ( did clean uninstall with   mbam-clean.exe ) then installed fresh V. 3.0.6.1469  and it worked until I shut down PC . Today same problem . Is it something to do with KIS that I have installed ? Really need this fixed or I'm getting myself something else .

Hi everyone! If possible, can you please grab some information for us so we can look at what's going on?

1. Open up Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on Event Log Data
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Open up Malwarebytes
  6. Verify that Web Protection is not turned on
  7. Attempt to turn on Web Protection
  8. Wait 2-3 minutes
  9. Zip up the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs by right clicking the folder and choosing Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
    Note that the ProgramData folder may be hidden. You may need to turn on Showing Hidden Files, or type the path manually

Please upload the zip file that gets created (it should be on your desktop)

Now please run mb-check, which can be downloaded from here: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3_check. Run this program, which will create a file on your desktop named mb-checkResult.txt. Please upload this file as well.

And lastly, the FRST logs will help as well:

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  2. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  3. Click the Scan button.
  4. When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:
    Addition.txt
    FRST.txt 

I realize this is a lot of information to ask, but it should help us figure out what's going on. If you're able to help with the above instructions, there should be 4 files being uploaded. mb-checkResult.txt, FRST.txt, Additions.txt, zip file of logs folder

Temporarily fix (might be mentioned already ) is to quit  Malwarebytes and restart PC . Then in my case at least you can turn ON Web Protection . I guess it will start playing up soon as another restart happens .

EDIT : Just to report I did restart and shutdown a couple times and it's still on . Will keep monitoring .

Edited by denzele

V. 3.0.6.1469 does not solve the problems. I cannot provide the logs dcollins requested as 3 causes too many problems to complete the steps. I'm stuck with version 2.2.1.1043.

Was recently automatically charged for renewing my subscription. Not happy that I am paying for 3 but having to use 2 which means I'm without Anti-Exploit.

This has been going on for over six weeks. I think we need to start talking refunds.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:54 AM, marcd999 said:

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 and, like many here, was getting the web protection "Off" popup on every reboot. What I found was if I terminated and restarted MBAM, the web protection module would show as active with no error. So, with that in mind, my eventual workaround was to alter the service startup type of "Malwarebytes Service" from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". So far, no error messages.

With that said, there is likely a potential security issue being created due to the delay in the service's startup, so keep that in mind. 

Perhaps this will help someone else while a more proper fix is in process.

Yep!

Same problem here, its a shame because I love this product and feel real secure online when its running properaly

What I just did was went into services.msc and on Malwarebytes Service I right clicked on it and selected RESTART. it restarted Malawarebytes and I was able to open MBAM and on the Protection tab it let me turn on Web Protection.  I am in the middle of a few things but in an hour or so I will restart my PC and see if Web protection is still enabled

On 1/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, marcd999 said:

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 and, like many here, was getting the web protection "Off" popup on every reboot. What I found was if I terminated and restarted MBAM, the web protection module would show as active with no error. So, with that in mind, my eventual workaround was to alter the service startup type of "Malwarebytes Service" from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". So far, no error messages.

With that said, there is likely a potential security issue being created due to the delay in the service's startup, so keep that in mind. 

Perhaps this will help someone else while a more proper fix is in process.

The Automatic (Delayed Start) setting is maybe related to what I have found seems to have worked. I noticed that on boot up the web protection appeared to be on and turn off again quite quickly and seemed to coincide with an immediate update and scan. I changed the scan timing and frequency so that this update and scan didn't occur immediately at boot up and for a few days at least I have not had the web protection off problem. The program has successfully updated and scanned at different times without the issue. Of course at boot up there are a number of services running and programs updating (eg windows update and AV definitions etc) and my uneducated guess is that is where the conflict is occurring. Of course it may all prove to be a temporary respite and this theory could be *******S!

What I just did was went into services.msc and on Malwarebytes Service I right clicked on it and selected RESTART. it restarted Malawarebytes and I was able to open MBAM and on the Protection tab it let me turn on Web Protection.  I am in the middle of a few things but in an hour or so I will restart my PC and see if Web protection is still enabled

After about 3 hours or so I rebooted my pc, opened Mawarebytes and Web Protection is still enabled :)

This is running Malwarebytes 3.0.6.1469 on Windows 10 64 bit system

Edited by ken545

• celee locked this topic