MBAM 3.0.5 reverts to 3.0.0 after rebooting.

Hi guys :)

I use a lifetime Premium license on Windows 7 x64.

I have waited with posting in the hope it would be solved with an update, but every 3.0.x version I installed so far reverted to 3.0.0 after I rebooted.
It doesn't matter if you remove MBAM first, reboot and install the new version again.
Of course the GUI tells me there is a new version available, but the Install Button doesn't work either.
I have tried everything I could think of to solve it, but no luck so far.

Greetz, Red.

Edited by Rednose

• Staff

Hi Rednose, can you follow the instructions below to grab us some important information please? Thanks!

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open -- DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  2. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  3. Click the Scan button.
  4. When the scan has finished, it will make produce 2 logs in the same directory the tool was run from. Please attach the following logs to your next reply:
    • FRST.txt
    • Addition.txt
  5. Please also attach your mbamservice.log file from C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\
    Note: The ProgramData folder is usually hidden, so you may need to type the path in directly to get there, or turn on viewing hidden files

Thanks!

• Staff

Thanks @Rednose. The logs show me where the issue is, but not why it's happening. If possible, can you please follow the outlined steps below to get me a debug version of mbamservice.log? Thanks!

1. Open Malwarebytes and confirm it's activated in Premium mode
  2. Go to Settings -> Application and make sure that "Event Log Data" is turned on
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Open Malwarebytes and confirm that it is no longer activated

Once that's done, please upload any files in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\ (you can zip up the folder if there's more than one file)

Same Problem, Free Malwarbytes user, know I updated on the 19th to 3.0.5.1299, ran it last night as part of my weekly scan I do with the free edition, and discovered it was 3.0.0 version, then it said update available, so installed that program update, went to 3.0.4, then did 3.0.5 Manually,  Haven't rebooted yet the system to see if it sticks or not, or reverts back to 3.0.0

Antivirus if that helps any is Avast Free 12.3.2280

Windows 10 Pro 64bit Build 14393.576

• Staff

@bikemanAMD can you please follow these instructions to get me a log file? Thanks!

1. Open Malwarebytes and confirm it's on version 3.0.5
  2. Go to Settings -> Application and make sure that "Event Log Data" is turned on
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Open Malwarebytes and confirm that it is no longer on 3.0.5

Once that's done, please upload any files in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\ (you can zip up the folder if there's more than one file)

• Staff

Thanks. Can you also please download the attached ZIP file and run the file named "runme.bat" inside of it? This will generate a small text file named machineId.txt that I would like you to upload. Please do this twice though, once while MBAM is reporting as 3.0.5 and then also after rebooting and it says 3.0.0

If you can't run the file, you may need to right click the zip file and choose properties, then click the unblock button at the bottom. Once done, extract the files from the zip folder and then run the batch file.

MachineID.zip

Well was working great, noticed it reverted itself again to 3.0.0.    Not sure how that happened, I did several reboots, and such since then.   Doesn't happen immediately after a reboot, it happened suddenly, as last night I checked and it was still 3.0.5 Go to run a scan tonight since noticed a few issues that I thought may have been malware, so I was like i'll run a scan anyways, then noticed it said Malwareybes 3.0.0 on top of the program

Got same problem  on one of my windows 10 computers. And it wiped out my forever license file and since I inserted it too many times it wont let me enter it anymore...crap.

Wrote them several times over the last few days but no response..guess they are off until tomorrow (I hope thats the case.) Anyway Version 3 has problems. I had the problem with windows 10 v1501 and v1607 ...Uninstalled--used their wipe file called mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe...At one point of the reinstall it would not overwrite mbae64,sys...nor could I delete the malwarebytes folder until I ran the clean file....

Anyway hope they figure this out soon.

I need to check my other computers (all windows 10)

Any updates on this issue?  The last person wrote on Jan 1st and this is becoming a huge problem for me.  It happens each time I'm switching from using my wireless adapter to my Ethernet adapter.  It happens on the next full shutdown/reboot of my laptop after making the switch.  I do this often so I'm experiencing this often since the 3.0.5 update (at least that's when I noticed it since 3.0.4 wasn't out very long before they went to 3.0.5).  Thanks for any info!  I hope it's resolved soon.  I've done everything mentioned before even finding this thread (I work in IT so troubleshooting is a standard).  Thanks again!

A quick note: The two laptops I have are a Dell Latitude E7270 with Intel NIC and wireless cards and a Dell Inspiron 7559 with an Intel wireless card and a RealTek NIC.

Edited by nheimler

17 minutes ago, nheimler said:

Any updates on this issue?  The last person wrote on Jan 1st and this is becoming a huge problem for me.  It happens each time I'm switching from using my wireless adapter to my Ethernet adapter.  It happens on the next full shutdown/reboot of my laptop after making the switch.  I do this often so I'm experiencing this often since the 3.0.5 update (at least that's when I noticed it since 3.0.4 wasn't out very long before they went to 3.0.5).  Thanks for any info!  I hope it's resolved soon.  I've done everything mentioned before even finding this thread (I work in IT so troubleshooting is a standard).  Thanks again!

A quick note: The two laptops I have are a Dell Latitude E7270 with Intel NIC and wireless cards and a Dell Inspiron 7559 with an Intel wireless card and a RealTek NIC.

Also note that no other AV is installed.  I even have Windows Defender turned off via GP.

Not sure how long this is going to take. It took the loyalty I had for MBAM and tossed it. Immediately after upgrading to v3 of MBAM (after being a MBAM user for years) I was confronted with this issue. I power off nightly and every morning I would be reset to v3.0.0. I eventually was prompted that I had lost the use of my license due to too many uses... so obviously I was communicating with the license server. After 3 weeks of incredibly lack luster support (which I found shocking) and my requests to reset my license usage once more going without compliance I have had no choice but to demand a refund.

It's a shame that a company with such a long standing and loyal crowd has these types of issues with their product. To me this seems half baked and untested... almost like they through the general public into a beta release without notifying anyone.

• Staff

We are working on a solution internally for this issue. We want to make sure we give ourselves enough time to test the solution as well so we don't accidentally cause more issues and so we get the solution right for everyone being impacted. We do not have an ETA at this time for the fix, but it is something we are working diligently on