Malwarebytes Free 3.0.5.1299 / Closing & Autostart

Hello,

although i have closed/finished Malwarebytes by pressing the "X" in the above right corner, Malwarebytes is running in the background and has to be finally finished by pressing the message "Malwarebytes beenden" in the Malwarebytes symbol in the windows sys tray. Additionally, Malwarebytes starts automatically with windows, although the autostart is disabled.

Please have a look into this issues.

Michael

Hello,

Is your goal to end the trial mode?    You may turn off the trial by clicking on Settings first.
TO end the trial mode, click Settings,  then click My Account tab and then  look for the button marked Deactivate Premium Trial  and click on it.
That is all it takes to get it to free mode.   Then just Restart Windows.

P.S. There is a online Users Guide at this link

Edited by Maurice Naggar

5 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Is your goal to end the trial mode? 

No.

5 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

You may turn off the trial by clicking on Settings first.
TO end the trial mode, click Settings,  then click My Account tab and then  look for the button marked Deactivate Premium Trial  and click on it.
That is all it takes to get it to free mode.   Then just Restart Windows.

That's the first action i have done after installing the latest version. I'm using the free version only for several years.

But my questions refer to the closing and autostart of Malwarebytes. The program itself can only be closed/terminated via the sys tray (and not via the "X" in the right above corner) and although the autostart is disabled Malwarebytes will start automatically at each windows start.

Hello, MichaW--

Please toggle the selection of "Start with Windows" entry in the tray menu by clicking it from checked to not checked to checked again.

This should "reset" the setting that prevents Malwarebytes from starting with each Windows start.

Once you've done this, you should be able to choose "Quit Malwarebytes" one more time from the tray, then next time you reboot it will not start.  It will not start again unless you manually launch it.

Closing with the X only closes the main user interface in this version -- not the full program.

2 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

If you quit via the system tray then everything should close out completely--the tray, user interface and service. 

Yes, that was my question respectively my complaint. What is the deeper sense to have a program be terminated via the sys tray? What you have introduced with vers. 3 is, that the function of "X" is the same as the function of "_" (minimize). Both actions lead to the fact, that Malwarebytes is running in the background! From my point of view as a user you have to think about these redundant functions.

Thank you for the feedback.

Please keep in mind that 3.0 is a complete rewrite and thus the overall architecture for 3.0 is very different from 2.x.  3.0 uses a service architecture that is actually designed to have the service running at all times, even in Free mode.  So the ability to "quit" completely is already somewhat of a work-around that we've provided for those who prefer to not have it run this way.  

We realize that if you're used to running the old version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x then this will be an adjustment.  

I've made a note of your comments and request, and we'll continue to track other feedback on this.

22 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

3.0 uses a service architecture that is actually designed to have the service running at all times, even in Free mode.

Why? If you are using the pro version, i can understand your argumentation. As the free version can only be used as an on-demand-scanner there is no need, to have the program running in the background. I'm really not the one and only, who uses Malwarebytes in addition to an on-access-scanner. Several AV-programs running in parallel mode leaves me sceptical.