sfermani1996

Process MBAMService.exe Using High CPU Usage & Memory

Hello Malwarebytes Forums,

I am not sure if this issue has already been reported or known about, but I would like to report an issue regarding the high CPU usage and memory the process MBAMService.exe uses in the premium version of Malwarebytes 3.0.

The issue is, everytime you use your web browser, whether it's the web browser loading web pages for example, MBAMService.exe would just hog the CPU usage until the the web browser is complete loading the web page you wanted. This is possibly due to the Web Protection feature in the Malwarebytes 3.0 program, maybe? Anyways, this kind of CPU usage behavior MBAMService.exe is doing can really stress and/or strain a computer with a dual-core only CPU if anyone here is still using those kinds of CPU's, because you have the web browser using the CPU when it's loading web pages, and then you have MBAMService.exe hogging the CPU as well until the web browser is complete loading the web page, making the dual-core only CPU briefly go up to 100% CPU usage.

I have Malwarebytes version 3.0.5 installed on this computer, and this CPU Usage issue is still happening on 3.0.5. This never happened at all when I was still using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2 on this computer before I upgraded to the new Malwarebytes version 3.0 program, and I hope that this issue can get fixed.

Here is a picture of Windows Task Manager in Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit (my laptop computer, with a dual-core only CPU) showing the MBAMService.exe process doing it's high CPU Usage work while Mozilla Firefox, (my main web browser that I use) is loading web pages.

There are no scans or updating being ran while doing this. This is between both the web browser, (Mozilla Firefox) & MBAMService.exe.

9h8Kw70.png?1

Thanks,

- sfermani1996

this issue already been reported by so many members . I myself had this bug and already reports this bug to the team . and also I can confirm this mbam service is almost used 100 % of the memory ! I have checked this with system explore tool not by Microsoft 

Have that issue as well, Using Avast Antivirus Free as my primary protection, in Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 14393.576,  Excluded the files they said in email to try excluding, so I did that, still high CPU with Malwarebytes 3.0.5.1299     Is it a Conflict with Avast?  is Avast too much protection now with Malwarebytes Free?  what should I do next to fix this issue?

I have a very similar problem in Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 14393.693 also.

Opening web browser tabs in Google Chrome or MS Edge is slow, and the Malwarebytes Service shows about 40% CPU usage until the tab(s) load.  On this PC the CPU usage is not a big issue, but the slowness loading web pages is significant.

I have disabled Windows Defender, but this does not appear to help.

Disabling Malwarebytes Web Protection resolves the issue, but I don't think this is a satisfactory workaround.  It defeats part of the purpose of having Malwarebytes Pro, and results in annoying "nags" about "real-time protection layers" being turned off.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon in version 3.0.7, but I thought it worth adding my observations.

Hardware:  CPU: i5-3570K (quad core) @ 3.4GHz, RAM: 16GB DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz (9,9,9,24), Disk: Sandisk 960GB SSD

removed post -- found a more appropriate thread.

Edited by JoeT
moved post to a more appropriate thread

Same issue with high cpu usage.  Idel CPU is at 41C (core temp) but goes as high as 96C (core temp) when MBAM scans.  Also issues with web browsing, especially if web page has lots of images.  Seriously considering returning to v2.0 stability.

Same here with the CPU issues. Since updating to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.0 my computer has become extremely slow while browsing the Internet. If I exit Mbam, it runs normally again. When it is running slow, the resource monitor always shows Mbam using the most CPU time - in the range of 21-28%. This is much higher than Mbam 2. I also have ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.0. running as my main security software... I've monitored CPU usage and verified that Mbam and/or ESET are not scanning files or running updates during slowdowns. I use Chrome exclusively and have tried running without extensions and incognito mode with no change as long as Mbam is active. I tried MS Edge and Firefox and both are very slow when Mbam is active. Both Mbam (2.x) and ESET have been working together well for over a year without a problem but since upgrading to Mbam 3, my computer is almost too slow for Internet use. Questions: Can ESET and Mbam be fighting each other for CPU time? Do I still need to run both or is Mbam 3 now enough protection by itself? Could this slowness be due to bugs in Mbam 3?

Lastly, I've been using Mbam and recommending it to my customers for at least 10 years and have always been happy with it. What did you do to make version 3 such a resource hog?

28 minutes ago, Xxaxie said:

Could this slowness be due to bugs in Mbam 3?

I do not know whether one can call it - bugs or bad concept, but the problem is unequivocal mbam 3 (see the many communications and analyses hereto)

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Mbam? I can't use it the way it is and I'm certainly not going to recommend it to my customers any longer. 

12 hours ago, Xxaxie said:

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Mbam? I can't use it the way it is and I'm certainly not going to recommend it to my customers any longer. 

Just go back to v2 till v3 is fixed.

6 hours ago, daman1 said:

Just go back to v2 till v3 is fixed.

That's getting old by now, maybe not be by time, but most certainly by the number of versions. So far MWB had 3.0, 3.05, 3.06 and based on the recently released beta/preview version, the fourth release isn't far off. And if the beta/preview release is any indication, the issues are either remaining, or introduced new ones based on the feedbacks in this forum.

This could indicate one or more things. For one, Malwarebytes may have underestimated the complexity of integrating four different protections into one. The other is that their Q&A of the initial version may have not accurately reflected their end users' computing environment and as such, it may have been a hit or miss.

On the other hand, the frequency of the version releases indicates that they are aggressively working on the fixes. And you'd have to commend them for that. I for one rooting for them fix all of the issues soon. Malwarebytes 3.xx is a great security protection for Windows, better than most, if not all A/V solutions at the current time. Despite this, I would not get rid of Vipre, with its lifetime license, on my systems for the time being. Maybe once MWB irons out all of the issues, I'll consider it, but not at the current time...

I did the right thing today and got a refund for 3 copies of MB Premium 3 w/ 2 year subscription.  Tech support never acknowledged 2 emails about high cpu utilization and heuristic scan never ending.  Very disappointed.   Looking at competing products. Shame, never had such a terrible experience with them for my other subscriptions.  So long, stink-ware.

4 hours ago, JV2112 said:

I did the right thing today and got a refund for 3 copies of MB Premium 3 w/ 2 year subscription.  Tech support never acknowledged 2 emails about high cpu utilization and heuristic scan never ending.  Very disappointed.   Looking at competing products. Shame, never had such a terrible experience with them for my other subscriptions.  So long, stink-ware.

Since this is your first post, it's clear you didn't come to the forum for support and post your system logs which would have helped solve your problem. But no problem, you got your full refund, so MB treated you well. Be sure to tell us of your new anti-malware solution.

Well since the original poster has never come back and replied and there are now a few replies with no one looking for one-on-one support I'm going to go ahead and close this topic.

PLEASE READ:  Posting into another users topic looking for help is typically not going to get you any help. If the help was there it would already be posted and I'm not going to reply in a topic except to the original poster of the topic. If you want help please start your own new topic and explain your issues and post the requested logs and I will assist you. If you also put in the top of your new topic that you do not want others to post to your topic because you're looking for one-on-one help then when I see others posting to your topic I will remove their posts.

Please read the following and post back the 3 requested logs as an attachment. The forum software often parses copy/pasted code wrong so attaching the logs ensures we're able to read it correctly.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

Ron