Can Malwarebytes and Kaspersky Internet Security Co-Exist?

Hello,

I am currently running Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.  I have this same setup on two desktops and a laptop.  Since there is some duplication in the protection offered in KIS and the new Malwarebytes v3.x, is there a guide to running both of these products together?  Here are the versions I'm running...

• KIS - v17.0.0.611(c)
  • MBAM v2.2.1.1043
  • MBAE v1.09.1.1291

Thanks for any help!

I installed MBAM 3.0.4 a few  days ago.  I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security 17.0.0.611 (C) for quite some time.  Prior to MBAM 3.0.4, I used MBAM and MBAE along side KIS.  I have had no issues with the earlier MBAM products or the recent release of 3.0.4.  All versions of both products seem to work well together for me.

Hi Steven :)

From the Malwarebytes 3.0 FAQ.

Can Malwarebytes 3.0 run alongside Symantec or McAfee?
Certainly! We built Malwarebytes 3.0 to be compatible with all major anti-virus software, even Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. In fact by default Malwarebytes 3.0 installs in compatible mode alongside Defender, MSE or third-party antivirus products.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-30-frequently-asked-questions/

And the newest Malwarebytes version (3.0.5) fixes an issue where browsers wouldn't open when a Kaspersky product was installed (even though it didn't affect every user), so you should be good :) 

I went ahead and installed v3.x on my laptop.  Overall, KIS and Malwarebytes v3.05.1299 appear to be playing well together.  I do, however, have a couple of questions and also appear to have run into a known issue...

My questions are...

1. I purchased three MBAM lifetime licenses a while back.  When MBAE came out, I went ahead and purchased it and have been paying for the annual renewal.  Since Malwarebytes v3.x now contains both MBAM and MBAE, which license do I get to retain?  Obviously, I'm hoping for the three lifetime licenses.
  2. I uninstalled MBAM and MBAE and then ran the cleanup tool (v2.3.0.1001).  I ran it with KIS disabled and rebooted when prompted.  After the reboot, I spot checked a few things and found multiple Malwarebytes folders with files still in them.  Also, when I installed v3.x, it found all of my user and licensing information.  The cleanup tool clearly didn't work as it was supposed to so what did I do wrong?
  3. When installing v3.x, the default installation folder offered is C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware.  Is this correct?  I made the assumption (probably incorrectly) that since there is no "anti-malware" program per se, but rather MBAM, MBAE, etc. all combined into "Malwarebytes v3.x", that the install folder would be just "Malwarebytes".

The one issue I'm seeing is on the list of known issues with v3.05.1299...

• Occasionally, after installing, you will see a “protection layer is off” warning while the protection is being or has already been automatically turned on. (We have a fix for this coming soon!)

I have found posts back from 12/08/16 noting this issue.  I feel like after every reboot I really do need to check to make sure all four protection modules are started as opposed to just dismissing the warning.  I'm a bit concerned that a new version was just released on 12/19/16 and did not contain a fix for this.  This is going to hold me up from deploying any further.  Is there an approximate ETA for the version that will address this issue?

Thank you!

1. I purchased three MBAM lifetime licenses a while back.  When MBAE came out, I went ahead and purchased it and have been paying for the annual renewal.  Since Malwarebytes v3.x now contains both MBAM and MBAE, which license do I get to retain?  Obviously, I'm hoping for the three lifetime licenses.

Malwarebytes say that they will grand-father all existing licences, so from my understanding, you would retain all 6 licences. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit licences can be used to activate Malwarebytes 3.0 now. So technically, you still have 3 lifetime licences, and 3 annual licences for Malwarebytes 3.0.

1. I uninstalled MBAM and MBAE and then ran the cleanup tool (v2.3.0.1001).  I ran it with KIS disabled and rebooted when prompted.  After the reboot, I spot checked a few things and found multiple Malwarebytes folders with files still in them.  Also, when I installed v3.x, it found all of my user and licensing information.  The cleanup tool clearly didn't work as it was supposed to so what did I do wrong?

I think the clean-up tool is only for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. So if it left Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit related files and folders behind, it's normal.

1. When installing v3.x, the default installation folder offered is C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware.  Is this correct?  I made the assumption (probably incorrectly) that since there is no "anti-malware" program per se, but rather MBAM, MBAE, etc. all combined into "Malwarebytes v3.x", that the install folder would be just "Malwarebytes".

Yes it's correct. I guess the path was kept for historical/legacy purposes :) 

Is there an approximate ETA for the version that will address this issue?

Version 3.0.5 addresses this issue for some users, though a long-term fix is on it's way. This issue is probably really high in the bug tracker and I'm sure Malwarebytes is working really hard to push out a fix for it as soon as possible.