Malwarebytes 3.0 - Slowing down computer?

When I updated from my old Malwarebytes version to 3.0 I noticed a significant general performance impact on my computer.

Nothing major, but everything feels slow and unstable. Just loading up Explorer and Task Manager in Windows 10 takes a little longer than usual after Malwarebytes 3.0. Almost feels a little bit like I'm back on an old traditional physical hard drive when in fact I'm using a Samsung EVO 850 SSD as my primary drive.

Applications like games is not affected, but programs like Firefox, Photoshop and Sony Vegas take a little while to load up even on an SSD.

Running Malwarebytes 3.0 in combination with Avast as I have always done, and I'm on WIndows 10 Home 64-bit, (i5-6600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070).

3 minutes ago, Ried said:

Hello freddiebox and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Exactly which version of Malwarebytes is this?  The most recent version is 3.0.5

Is Avast Hardening enabled?

Hardened Mode is Disabled in the Avast Settings.

I can also see Malwarebytes is using 350 MB of my system memory, which is almost the same what my Photoshop version use. Prior to updating my memory used to sit on 11% when idle, now it shoots up to a constant 18-20% when not doing anything.

Edited by freddiebox

• Staff

Thanks.  I'd like to collect some information for review.

Can you please attach a copy of the MBAMService.log located in the following folder?
c:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs

In order to locate the file, you'll need to be able to see hidden folders.

Also, this next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open -- DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will make produce 2 logs in the same directory the tool was run from. Please attach the following logs to your next reply:

FRST.txt

Addition.txt.

2 minutes ago, Ried said:

I'm not concerned about malware on the machine, I wanted to see what other software and drivers are on the machine that it could possibly be fighting with.  If you prefer, you can send me the FRST logs via PM.

Just me I guess being sceptical about applications calling themselves system repair scanners. Wouldn't it work with a simple system log from my computer like dxdiag for a detailed list of drivers? And since this computer don't got alot on it other than system drivers, a browser two DRMs, Avast and Malwarebytes I could literally just list them to you.

• Staff

It is not a system repair scanner - it is called Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool. It was named this because initially (years ago when first developed) it was a tool we could run from within the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows PE) to help remove infections that would otherwise be loading with Windows and preventing removal - or to help fix a machine that is unbootable after an infection corrupts files or drivers. 

No, what you list out will not be enough. Take a look here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Run the tool and look at its output for yourself. As I said - it will NOT make any changes to your machine at all, on its own.

Well it turned out I fixed the problem, with quite unfortunate results though.

After researching on the internet I realized many Malwarebytes users using the free 14-days trial of Premium on both the old and new version had exactly the  same issue as I had when running Malwarebytes simultaneously with an antivirus like Avast. While the Premium version enable the real-time protection features it appears it can conflict with real-time protection other applications use. This is why Malwarebytes worked just fine for me when I had the old free version. After I deactivated Premium it dropped down to below 40 MB of memory usage when kept running in the background.

I previously used Malwarebytes for monthly system scans in addition to my full system scan with Premier Avast.

I thank you for your time, but I'm gonna stick with running Malwarebytes Free and Avast Premier as I used to. :D

• 3 months later...

Same miserable experience. Clean install, I even did a non-quick format of the disk. Windows 7 updated to SP1 and all important updates. As soon as I installed MB3 it slowed from loading Chrome in a second or two to 12+ seconds. Other programs are even worse. How do I go back to a version that works?

Very annoying since I was conned into buying new licenses when it turns out my existing licenses would have worked fine.

Has anyone found a fix that works?

• 1 month later...

I have noticed with Malwarebytes 3 Premium that startup (booting) on some older computers (Windows 7) is very slow if it is set to load at startup. Also, on fairly high end machines (also Windows 7) I have found that having it running in the background drastically affects gaming performance. Turning off MWB3 loading at bootup fixes the problem with older computers booting up, and quitting MWB3 before starting a game fixes the game performance issue. But this means manually starting and stopping MWB3 during the day. 

@jrmoffett

Assuming you are running version 3.1.2 

17 minutes ago, jrmoffett said:

I have found that having it running in the background drastically affects gaming performance.

Have you excluded the game folders?

18 minutes ago, jrmoffett said:

I have noticed with Malwarebytes 3 Premium that startup (booting) on some older computers (Windows 7) is very slow if it is set to load at startup.

What AV program are you running alongside MB and have you set mutual exclusions?

We could help you better if we had the logs from the instructions below.

• Create and obtain an mb-check log
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area
  • Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Attach both of these logs to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area