Unable to connect the service

But this service (Windows Management Instrumentation) should run anyway!

However, I had this behaviour too, here it was a conflict with F-Secure (maybe with DeepGuard). I had to exclude the Malwarebytes Folder (which should exclude that from DeepGuard too), and now it runs.

Important: Until I had resolved that problem, after I had start Malwarebytes from Tray, the program did not run correctly. Addidionally, I could not close Malwarebytes in Tray.

PS: Sorry for my "english", it's not my native language ...

15 hours ago, Alpengreis said:

However, I had this behaviour too, here it was a conflict with F-Secure (maybe with DeepGuard). I had to exclude the Malwarebytes Folder (which should exclude that from DeepGuard too), and now it runs.

I had to disable DeepGuard as there is no way to add new exclusions to DeepGuard.

I reported this separately to Malwarebytes and to F-Secure. I suggest you also report false positive to F-Secure so that they will update their DeepGuard database.

7 hours ago, Telos said:

I had to disable DeepGuard as there is no way to add new exclusions to DeepGuard.

I reported this separately to Malwarebytes and to F-Secure. I suggest you also report false positive to F-Secure so that they will update their DeepGuard database.

Well, I read the following article here ...

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/DeepGuard-exclusion-settings/m-p/9511

... (it's for business version I know) ... nevertheless: after I excluded the path in my F-Secure Internet Security 2017 "Realtime Exclude list", it works.

And - as far as I know - this was not the first time, I could solve a problem with DeepGuard in this way.

I am also not sure if it's really a DeepGuard false positive, it could be also the case, that the ACCESS itself from DeepGuard is the problem (I even had NO usual report from DeepGuard about Malwarebytes). For example: I had a such maybe similar problem earlier with DeepGuard and EMET. However: because I am not sure about this behaviour, I will not report that to F-Secure.

Thank you.

52 minutes ago, Alpengreis said:

Well, I read the following article here ...

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/DeepGuard-exclusion-settings/m-p/9511

... (it's for business version I know) ... nevertheless: after I excluded the path in my F-Secure Internet Security 2017 "Realtime Exclude list", it works.

And - as far as I know - this was not the first time, I could solve a problem with DeepGuard in this way.

I am also not sure if it's really a DeepGuard false positive, it could be also the case, that the ACCESS itself from DeepGuard is the problem (I even had NO usual report from DeepGuard about Malwarebytes). For example: I had a such maybe similar problem earlier with DeepGuard and EMET. However: because I am not sure about this behaviour, I will not report that to F-Secure.

Thank you.

I don't have a "Realtime Exclusion list" on my version (non-business), and there is no obvious way to add exclusions unless DeepGuard fully blocks them. I'm not sure why DeepGuard affects MBAM without popping up a notification. But I did find a way to run DeepGuard w/o conflict.

On my F-Secure installation, there is a DeepGuard option to "Use the compatibility mode (lowers security)". When I checked that, and restarted MBAM service I was able to launch MBAM without the "unable to connect the service" warning. This is better than completely disabling DeepGuard, but I'm not sure how compatibility mode works.

I guess I'll prowl around F-Secure to see what that's all about. 

Thanks for the links... they got me to dig a little deeper.

• Staff

Thanks for all the great info here.  @Telos - Set DeepGuard back the way it was and see if delaying Malwarebytes Protection at Startup alleviates the 'unable to connect to service' message.  I would set the delay to 60 seconds to start, then extend it further if needed and see if any amount of delay resolves the issue.

45 minutes ago, Telos said:

I don't have a "Realtime Exclusion list" on my version (non-business), and there is no obvious way to add exclusions unless DeepGuard fully blocks them. I'm not sure why DeepGuard affects MBAM without popping up a notification. But I did find a way to run DeepGuard w/o conflict.

On my F-Secure installation, there is a DeepGuard option to "Use the compatibility mode (lowers security)". When I checked that, and restarted MBAM service I was able to launch MBAM without the "unable to connect the service" warning. This is better than completely disabling DeepGuard, but I'm not sure how compatibility mode works.

I guess I'll prowl around F-Secure to see what that's all about. 

Thanks for the links... they got me to dig a little deeper.

I have the non-business version too. I meant with "Realtime Exclusion list" the following (in german but this should be not a problem):

FSIS-Exclude1.JPGFSIS-Exclude2.JPG

I HOPE this helps you too.

Greetings.

@Alpengreis... I followed your screenshot settings, rebooted and all is well without having to drop DeepGuard into compatibility mode. Very helpful. Thank you. It's hard to find users familiar with F-Secure.

@Ried... With Alpengreis' solution, I can let MBAM start without delay. That sounds like the best outcome. Since MBAM is an alternative to AV protection, excluding it from F-Secure scans seems to have little risk.

• 2 months later...

Not sure where this stands at the moment, but as an FYI post, I'm running Windows 10 64 bit O/S and use F-Secure which is provided free of charge by my ISP..   I have used Malwarebytes for several years with no problems.    A year or so ago I also added MB Exploit Protection and several months ago added the beta edition of MB Anti Ransomware.  I recently updated my MB software to Version 3.     Immediately I had the same problem being reported : "Malwarebytes Unable to Start - Unable to Connect the Service".  Tracked the problem to F-Secure, specifically, "Deep Guard".   Long story short :  I opened the "Deep Guard" menu under "Settings".  Found all boxes "checked" except the one called "Use the compatibility mode (lowers security)".   Checked that box as well, and closed the menu.   I realize there's a "trade off", but I suspect it's not that great.      Hopefully this will suffice until MB & F-Secure learn how to play well with each other.

I adjusted MB to delay real time protection by 60 seconds on start up.     Now everything works fine.

Ktown

Edited by Ktown

@Ktown While you can check "Use compatibility mode" which affects DeepGuard performance for your entire machine, I recommend instead, that you add the MBAM folder under /Program Files to F-Secure's virus scanning exclusions (as pictured above) and let DeepGuard in full measure run without "compatibility mode" checked. Your call, or course.

2 hours ago, Ktown said:
1 hour ago, Telos said:

@Ktown While you can check "Use compatibility mode" which affects DeepGuard performance for your entire machine, I recommend instead, that you add the MBAM folder under /Program Files to F-Secure's virus scanning exclusions (as pictured above) and let DeepGuard in full measure run without "compatibility mode" checked. Your call, or course.

Exactly ... *I* would not "shut down" to the DeepGuard compatibility mode to solve that problem. See my postings above (with pictures) to have a probably more senseful way ...

1 hour ago, Telos said:

Exactly ... *I* would not "shut down" to the DeepGuard compatibility mode to solve that problem. Ktown, See my postings above (with pictures) to have a probably more senseful way ...

I had tried numerous things to correct the issue, and I was sure I had followed Alpengreis' procedure which I was sure hadn't worked.   But I went back to the F-secure menus and tried the procedure again, and it works !       So I've now "un-checked" the "Use Compatibility Mode",   I've re-booted the computer twice to make sure there's no further issues, and MB works fine, no issues.

Thanks very much Telos & Alpengreis for the extra "push" and the help.    Much appreciated.   Have a great week end.

19 hours ago, Ktown said:

I had tried numerous things to correct the issue, and I was sure I had followed Alpengreis' procedure which I was sure hadn't worked.   But I went back to the F-secure menus and tried the procedure again, and it works !       So I've now "un-checked" the "Use Compatibility Mode",   I've re-booted the computer twice to make sure there's no further issues, and MB works fine, no issues.

Thanks very much Telos & Alpengreis for the extra "push" and the help.    Much appreciated.   Have a great week end.

Glad to hear that it works! Enjoy the weekend too :-)

I had this same issue when upgrading from MBAM 2.x to 3.0.6.

However I don't have any idea what Deepguard is.

The MalwareBytes service didn't exist in the Services list (services.msc), so I downloaded the installer manually and reinstalled it.

However it didn't preserve my license.