Neverwinterx

MBAM 3.0.4 performance issues

I recently upgraded my premium MBAM to 3.0 and I noticed a few performance problems:

- If I haven't played a video file with vlc in a while and I start one, then there will be a delay of about 10 seconds before vlc actually starts. During that time I can see mbamservice.exe suddenly jumping to 25% CPU (I have a processor with 4 cores, so it's effectively using 1 core). I've tried disabling vlc as a protected application for  exploits and zero day attacks, but that didn't help.

- When doing a scan MBAM will start using 100% CPU, and really 100% non-stop, rendering your pc practically unusable until the scan is done. An option to limit it a bit might be nice.

i5 4670K, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Home (updated)

Greetings,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems.  As a suggestion just for troubleshooting purposes, please try disabling Ransomware Protection to see if that helps as I suspect that may be the realtime protection component causing the performance lag, not necessarily Exploit Protection.  If you don't mind, please give that a shot and let us know if that's helpful or not.

As for scans, yes, that's quite deliberate.  We enabled multithreading in the scan engine so that it can complete as quickly as possible, however I do believe they also plan to implement an option to reduce the priority of scans as you could in 2.x in order to reduce the amount of resources used by scans if desired in order to improve multitasking while scans are running.

tried latest 3.x mbam and noticed performance lag! no matter if turned all protection off there is few sec slowdown everywhere ..back to 2.2.1x want my machine be snappy as it can be not sluggish and wait to stuff loading

i5 3570K, 8GB RAM SSD, Windows 10 pro win updated / all drivers up to date

OK, thanks for letting me know.  It was worth a shot.  I know that several performance issues are being worked on right now.  Hopefully this one will be resolved soon.

I've installed MBAM 3.0.5 but that didn't solve the issue with starting video's with vlc.

Note that if I disable only the protection against malware and leave all are protections enabled, then the issue is gone.

Edited by Neverwinterx

Have reluctantly upgraded to version 3.0.6. The performance hit during scans is ridiculous. Task Manager shows MBAMService using up to 92% of CPU and memory up to 640,620 K. My laptop only has 4096MB RAM Physical Memory. I have trouble watching video or even browsing during a custom FULL scan. And the temperature of the hard disk climbs alarmingly. Please bring back advanced settings so we can reduce the scan priority. The new Avast AV has that feature and reducing its priority to LOW allows me to watch videos etc., while a scan is in progress. I don't want to go back to having to perform such tasks overnight, as was the case in the days of 486's.

I'll try changing priority of MBamService.exe in Task Manager.

@yardmetre are you scanning with the MBAM program open on your desktop? If so, this will cause it to use as much of your computer power as it can. If you want to do other tasks while the scan is happening, click the X in the corner to close the UI and MB3 will take a lower priority automatically.

@dcollins beat me to it, however here is more info...

Let's try this first.... (It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot.  Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES or you can download the latest version (currently v3.0.6 CU4.1) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4.1 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Edited by Firefox

On 14/04/2017 at 0:54 AM, dcollins said:

@yardmetre are you scanning with the MBAM program open on your desktop? If so, this will cause it to use as much of your computer power as it can. If you want to do other tasks while the scan is happening, click the X in the corner to close the UI and MB3 will take a lower priority automatically.

Okay, will give that a go. Thanks.

If you're willing to try it, we have a new beta version of Malwarebytes available which includes an option to set manual scans to low priority in order to improve multitasking.  Scans will obviously take longer, but you'll have better luck doing other things on your PC while the scan runs.  Information and the download link for the new beta version (3.1) can be found here.