MBAM 3.0 Scan hangs, shutdown hangs, annoying bugs!

I have malwarebytes installed on my Desktop, and my laptop. My desktop Every time I start up the machine I get a protection not turned on nag. And when I shut down, it always hangs. Shutting down... Uninstalling malwarebytes fixes the issue. so there is a bug there. 

Now on my laptop I got a nag that a scan was never run. So I decided to run a scan, and it got stuck. It stopped scanning but the time is still ticking. I hit pause/cancel and nothing happens. the program went braindead. 

I attached a screenshot of the problem. locked up scan.png

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials on your system?  If so, there is a known issue with 3.0 where startup and especially shutdown times are slowed when the two are installed and active on the same system.  The only workaround I know of currently is to exit Malwarebytes via the 'Quit' option in the tray icon's right-click menu prior to shutting the system down, ensuring that the process mbamservice.exe is stopped prior to shutting the system down.

As for the issue with protection notifying you that it is disabled, I believe this too is a known issue with Web Protection which is currently being worked on.  It relates to the startup of Web Protection and may also occur on some occasions following database updates when the database is refreshed to unload the old database from memory and load the new one (though that particular issue, I believe, only occurs in certain builds of 3.0 and may not occur in the version you're using).

Edited by exile360

After installing Paid version of Malwarebytes 3.0, my Windows 7 PRO laptop is now locking up! I never had an issue with the previous version. I'm also getting "Realtime Protection Layers turned off"  message when i start my laptop. Once it locks up,i can't get to task manager or anything! I Have to press and hold the power button until the laptop shuts down. This is BAD! :(  Is there anywhere for me to download the previous version? I Have my Identifier and Key info saved. This 3.0 is not ready for release i guess??? :(  

I removed MSE. That software is pretty much crap. I jumped on the MBAM bandwagon back when I had a lifetime license, and it pretty much replaced MSE on all my machines. 

My Lifetime license was on a laptop I sold, forgot to deactivate it, and the key got "whored" out so eventually I just heck with it and purchased a subscription. Been happy until now. 

3 minutes ago, rayny2e4034 said:

After installing Paid version of Malwarebytes 3.0, my Windows 7 PRO laptop is now locking up! I never had an issue with the previous version. I'm also getting "Realtime Protection Layers turned off"  message when i start my laptop. Once it locks up,i can't get to task manager or anything! I Have to press and hold the power button until the laptop shuts down. This is BAD! :(  Is there anywhere for me to download the previous version? I Have my Identifier and Key info saved. This 3.0 is not ready for release i guess??? :(  

Yes, you may still download previous 2.x versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from FileHippo here if you need to.

@mbates14 thanks for reaching out, sorry to hear you're having issues. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes 3.0 to see if that resolves the issue with the scan hanging up? If not, can you please try that first. If that still doesn't work, can you uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0 and then follow the instructions below so we can get a bit more information:

1. Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to your desktop
  2. Then download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  3. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  4. Click the Fix button.
  5. Click the Scan Button.
  6. When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:
    Addition.txt
    FRST.txt
    Fixlog.txt

Fixlist.txt

The new Malwarebytes 3.0.5 update did nothing to fix my issues so far. The PC is still slow as molasses on shutdown, and I still get nagged every time the machine starts up that theres no protection...

Again, this stuff should still be in beta, why its released as an actual product is beyond me. 

After installing MWB Premium version I cannot get a scan to work. It hangs every time. I downloaded the latest patch version above but does not work. 

One thing...I cannot get C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys to stop and so I cannot delete it. I don't know if that is significant or not.

Windows 10 system.

Edited by jgnfld

Long time user with a premium license & just updated to 3.0.5. Same issues as everyone else. MB startup is taking minutes instead of seconds on a PC with an I7 &d M.2 SSD that does 3500 MBps. I've been running MSE & MB together for years with no issues. Shutdown is just hanging.

• 2 months later...

Fast Forward to March 19, 2017 and after reverting back to the old  (Paid) Versions of Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 and the Older Anti exploit (Both of which were working just fine) my Laptop tricked me into updating to 3.0.6 and i found myself right back in the same mess i was in on my previous post on this Thread from December 2016.. I couldn't get Web Protection to work again Today!! It still gets stuck saying "Starting"  and i have a Red exclamation point!!! Soo i removed 3.0.6 again and had to re-install the older versions AGAIN... Now i have a RED Exclamation point because I Refuse to let it update to 3.0.6... i mean....WTH???  They really RUINED this software!! I Guess they never fixed anything as it is still not working for millions of users! Very Disappointed to say the least!!  They E-Mailed me this previously : Your cleverbridge reference number: 27997157    Soo...do i totally uninstall their products forever ..??  This is soooo Frustrating... :(  

Well, the fact that they use "cleverbridge" a 3rd-party company to handle the licensing and payment systems tells me that they are a relatively weak company. They arnt Symantec. 

Since its now a subscription based licensing system, you would THINK you would have the ability to manage your used licenses/PCs besides a simple "deactivate" button, or be able to purchase additional licensing or cancel unused licensing on the same account. Nope, cant do that! 

the "My Account" function of MBAM should have the ability to show all activated systems in use and be able to manage it all right there. OR even if you have to create an account system with username and password, who cares! do it! 

Log into MBAM with account UN/PW and manage everything like normal software companies can do. 

Picture this: 

MBAM.com -> Create account -> Purchase license against said account -> License active immediately on account -> install S/W via signed browser execution event -> software installed, grabs account token from browser -> S/W activated ;-)

Or install S/W -> Login to account -> Activate License if seat available, or remove existing seat and replace seat. 

Seems simple right? 

Oh I forgot if they cant fix all the bugs, how could they accomplish that? 

Edited by mbates14

Thank you mbates14 and GMork for your replies. I didn't know i could turn off that update feature so i thank you very much for helping me with this. It is now turned off. I don't know what will happen when this version has reached end of life,because it's very obvious they can't get 3.0.6 to work properly. I Installed my backup hard drive just now and i'm good to go again. Thx again for your fast replies..