rgam

Hang on shutdown 3.0.4

This MBAM 3.0.4 feels definitely not ready for prime time in many many ways.... 

On my machine running Win 7 64-bit SP1 with an i7 processor, loads of memory (32gb) and SSDs - after installing 3.0.4 over existing 2.x (latest/licensed), my machine (and I believe others that I am helping people with) experience very long shutdown times: 4 minutes and 38 seconds on my machine with just 'Windows is Shutting Down'. Really unacceptable!

I uninstalled MBAM. Shut down: less than 5 seconds.  Takes 24 seconds from pressing power to Windows logon screen (which includes about 11 seconds of the bios stuff before windows starts to load). Re-installed MBAM, first shutdown 18 seconds. Reboot, and used Chrome browser for few minutes. Shutdown - again takes 4 minutes and 38 seconds! (I'm using smartphone stopwatch - it's the same unacceptable time to shutdown!)

(I'm having issues with other computers I support as well - super long time to boot up, unresponsive after install of MBAM 3.0.4.)

Good morning @rgam, do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? If so, can you try disabling MSE Real Time Protection and see if that resolves your issue? If not, can you please follow the details below to get us some more information about your system? Thanks!

STEP 1:

1. Open Malwarebytes, click Settings > Application
2. Look for 'Event Log Data' and slide the toggle switch to 'ON"
2. Run a threat scan.
3. See if you reproduce the scan hang.

Then please attach the MBAMSERVICE.log that is in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs  <-- You'll need to be able to View Hidden folders to locate this.

This will give us more detailed logging about what is happening during the scan.

STEP 2:

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  2. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  3. Click the Scan button.
  4. When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:
    Addition.txt
    FRST.txt 

Yes, MSE is installed.

This issue is about SHUT DOWN of computer, not running a scan. 4 minutes 38 seconds to shutdown. Not acceptable.

Disabling MSE Real Time protection (i.e., effectively turning off my AV) does mitigate the problem, but it is not an acceptable solution.

CLOSING Malwarebytes manually (right-click system-tray icon, Quit, wait for the mbamservices to stop) also mitigates the problem, but also is not an acceptable solution, although IMO it's a better solution than turning off MSE.

(I would add: the hang on shutdown issue remains with the new release today of 3.05. Having to rollback PCs from this unacceptable release.)

Thanks for confirming the issue with MSE. There are actually two issues with MSE right now and 3.05 only fixes one of them, as noted in the release thread. We are working on a solution for the second part of this issue.

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

Thanks for confirming the issue with MSE. There are actually two issues with MSE right now and 3.05 only fixes one of them, as noted in the release thread. We are working on a solution for the second part of this issue.

Actually I think there are more than 2 issues. I disabled the Ransomware protection and did a shutdown - longer than it should be, but acceptable (about 20 seconds).

BUT, I rebooted the machine, then did a shutdown and it took over 4 minutes. This is with the Ransomware protection layer turned off.

Then after bootup, with the ransomware turned off, the system is VERY SLOW. The MBAM system tray icon takes a LONG TIME before it appears (although the warning about the protection layer turned off comes up swiftly). The entire computer appears to be hung (can't open any app, or do anything) for a period of time....

Thanks for the follow up. You are seeing this slowdown with 3.0.5 still? If so, can you try disabling MSE Real-time Protection again and see if that still helps the situation?