MBAM 3.0.4 : Not Fully Protected

I have read the known issues, in particular the one concerning  the "not fully protected" message.  My issue may be a bit different.

When the GUI appears, I see the message "You're not Fully protected.  Turn on Real-Time Protection Layers to Block Threats".  When going to Settings > Protection, the Malware Protection (Prevents Malware Infection) slider is OFF.  Moving it to ON shows "Starting" but it never does.  It just remains in this "Starting" mode.  When starting a scan, it stops immediately.  Rebooting presents the same issue.

I am able to manually update and this does not solve the issue.

The affected computer is running Windows 7 SP1.  I previously had MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium installed.  I uninstalled both before downloading and installing MBAM 3.0.4 (I see now that this step was not necessary).  Installation seemed to go fine and I entered my license code successfully.

I've also noticed that my account information on the affected computer shows Auto-Renewal disabled although on my other two machines it shows Enabled.

This issue may be my own doing but I'm hoping someone can guide me on how to get the Malware Protection beyond the "Starting" point.

Thank you,

Dave

• Staff

Hello capair45,

STEP 1:

1. Open Malwarebytes, click Settings > Application
2. Look for 'Event Log Data' and slide the toggle switch to 'ON"
2. Run a threat scan.
3. See if you reproduce the scan hang.

Then please attach the MBAMSERVICE.log that is in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs  <-- You'll need to be able to View Hidden folders to locate this.

This will give us more detailed logging about what is happening during the scan.

STEP 2:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

The issue with Malware Protection being stuck in "Starting" mode seems to have corrected itself sometime in the last few hours. 

The SCAN issue still persists and I will follow the steps Reid suggests first thing tomorrow.

I agree with you, jadinoff.  MBAM has been a well supported product through the years.  I am confident this glitch will be handled.

• Staff

Thank you, I'm not seeing any leftover services or drivers.  Enable the viewing of Hidden folders:

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the letter E to open Windows Explorer.

In the menu across the top of that window, click Tools>Folder Options>View tab

If you don't see a menu, press the Alt key on your keyboard and the menu will appear.

Place a check in the box next to 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'
Next, place a check in the box next to 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'

Click Apply, then OK

Double click the C:\ drive to view the contents of the drive. Do you still see this folder present?

c:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

@capair45 if you're still having problems after trying the re-install, please follow the instructions below so we can get a bit more information as well.

1. Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to your desktop
  2. Then download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  3. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  4. Click the Fix button.
  5. Upload the fixlog.txt file that is created

Thanks!

fixlist.txt

Both folders deleted as per instructions.

Downloaded the installer and installation went smoothly.  Scans complete correctly now (1 PUP threat found).

The only abnormality that still exists is under My Account.  It continues to show Auto-Renew as Disabled.  Other than that, everything looks good.

The laptop we've been working with shows this information when I click "My Account" ;  I downloaded this installer from the MBAM site (TRIAL) and entered my 20-character code to activate.

Edition:  Premium

License Key:  XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Auto Renewal:  Disabled

Expiration Date:  TUE July 11, 2017

My desktop which is under the same license shows:

Edition:  Premium

LIC ID: XXXX-XXXX

License Key:  XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Auto Renewal:  Enabled

Subscription Renewal Date:  SUN December 17, 2017

Any ideas?

dave...